SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My sister is bi-polar and will not admit it. And I do not know what, if anything, I should do.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My sister is bi-polar and will not admit it. And I do not know what, if anything, I should do. Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My sister is 46 years old. She was depressive as a teenager and into her 20's. In short, she takes after our father. In her early 30's she had a severe manic episode. My mother and I had her committed to the hospital. She came down off of that episode, got on medication, saw therapists and lived a fairly normal life.

About a year ago she quit her medication and declared she was not sick. Then she totally pulled back from our family. Quit coming to family functions. Pulled back on contact with others, etc.

She texted me out of the blue this past week, she wanted to come down to see me, my wife and our two children, who are 15 and 11. When the day came she sent me a long message letting me know that she was apprehensive about the visit. She wanted to make sure the kids knew it wasn't them, that she loved them dearly, etc. She asked me to pass along her message.

That evening at dinner I let the kids know about her message and then we had a discussion about mental illness. I then texted my sister and let her know the kids understood and that we had a good discussion about mental health. And I specifically worded it "mental health", not illness.

She texted back, "Here's the thing though... I am not mentally ill. And I will not pretend to be in order to be accepted by this family."

I texted back, "We accept you however you are."

I know from discussions with my father back in the day that he did not like the way the medication made him feel. But he also knew that taking the medication was better than the alternative. So I do understand that side of the coin.

I see my sister becoming someone I do not know. While she is holding down a job, she is now estranged from her husband and every other family member she has. My gut tells me that with her attitude there is nothing I can do. She is WAY too touchy about the subject to even entertain a conversation about her changes. She isn't a threat to herself or others, so our family cannot force her to do anything. It seems to me my option is just to pray that everything turns out alright.

I have been pondering posting this for over 24 hours. I do not really expect a solution. Mainly just wanted to vent. But if anyone has been though this and had positive results, I would love to hear it.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I am sorry you are dealing with this. Based on my limited experience in dealing with someone that has metal illness they must recognize it themselves and want help. I often heard that they did not like how the medication made them feel but it allowed them to function, so it was better than the alternative.

Continue to pray for your sister’s healing, as will I.

Posts: 1377 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to me my option is just to pray that everything turns out alright.
That is pretty much all you can do. Whether mental illness or addiction, the key thing to remember is that the person must want help. This is especially bad because, IMO, mental health medications, with their laundry lists of side effects, trade one problem for another.

Posts: 28650 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, pray. Nothing else you can do about the situation, unless she's looking for help, or is suicidal or homicidal.

Q

Posts: 27521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
With your kids & all I wouldn’t worry if she didn’t come. I have two sisters, especially the one, never does well with more than a few family in attendance.

You can’t ‘save’ everyone, even if they are family. I’d be nice to her, but if she stays at arm’s length, not all that bad.

My younger sister has some idea in her head I kept a security deposit on an apartment that was due her. What really happened is that I took over the rental payments, to help her, then let it go when I didn’t have a need.

This saved her over 6 months of rent on a lease, then I opted out at 3 months to go. It wasn’t worth the 3 months payment to get less than one back as a security deposit.

I’ve helped her more than anyone else in the family, we’re on ‘radio silence’ now.

Not saying guys can’t have issues, but Wimmins can be fickle.

Posts: 6393 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She's angry about how she's perceived by her family. If I were you, that's what I would talk to her about. Framing it in such a way as to help her see how it's difficult for everyone- not just her- is the target. Finessing it so as to not make things worse will require patience beyond patience.

Normally, I refrain from commenting in threads like this and my advice may be the worst thing you could do, but that's what I think would help in getting things back on track- for her, and for her relationship to her family.

Posts: 109058 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The phrase I've heard lately is "better living through chemistry still requires better living". The last couple years have been mentally challenging for everyone. That is surely some common ground. Having the privilege to actually have family to go through all this should be a blessing. Oh, the other phrase, "get fit or die" seems appropriate these days.

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our son was diagnosed as bipolar with ADHD when he was young. We had him through counseling and meds and he learned to handle himself without the meds. He joined the Army and they deemed he was not bipolar. He asked for counseling and had sessions while there. Because of this, he was bullied and had roles taken from him. His squad leader told him he was a failure and there was no room for him in his division. Our son took his life on Saturday. I know how some of you feel about suicide and I have refrained from posting anything about this. I am so broken right now. My heart aches. A part of me feels as though I failed as a father to him. I wish this pain on no one.

Please talk to your sister as a normal human being. Let her know that she can talk to you anytime and visit whenever. To me, she sounds just as my son. Inside she is hurting and too proud or scared to say anything but inside is hurting beyond what she knows to handle. Just talk to her. You may not take the pain away from inside her, but spend as much time as possible with her. Our son was full of joy on the outside but inside was hurting beyond what he let us know.

Posts: 3682 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
She needs some center ground that she can depend on. My two cents is that you said it quite nicely when you said you love her however she is. I would only add that there should be loving boundaries regarding her mood swings around the family. One resource I just checked, called them guidelines. bipolar folks have a hard time setting these boundaries themselves, and she may find it comforting if you provide them in the context of your family.

By the way, take heed, the dangerous part of the bipolar cycle is not during a depressive phase it is during a manic one when people are impulsive.

Edited To add that I just read the post above and wanted to say that I am so very sorry for your loss. I can’t imagine the pain you must be going through and I don’t pretend to know what to say. But I do pray for you and for your family of the loss of your son.

0:01

Posts: 4280 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Our son was diagnosed as bipolar with ADHD when he was young. We had him through counseling and meds and he learned to handle himself without the meds. He joined the Army and they deemed he was not bipolar. He asked for counseling and had sessions while there. Because of this, he was bullied and had roles taken from him. His squad leader told him he was a failure and there was no room for him in his division. Our son took his life on Saturday. I know how some of you feel about suicide and I have refrained from posting anything about this. I am so broken right now. My heart aches. A part of me feels as though I failed as a father to him. I wish this pain on no one.

Please talk to your sister as a normal human being. Let her know that she can talk to you anytime and visit whenever. To me, she sounds just as my son. Inside she is hurting and too proud or scared to say anything but inside is hurting beyond what she knows to handle. Just talk to her. You may not take the pain away from inside her, but spend as much time as possible with her. Our son was full of joy on the outside but inside was hurting beyond what he let us know.

I’m sorry for your loss.

I rarely talk to my little bro because he suffers from mental health issues along with all his other problems. I don’t sugar coat things with him when we do talk. He’s figured out where I am and knows I don’t/won’t play his game.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be thankful she is not Schizophrenic. Get her in with a competent psychologist if she is willing. Bipolar Disorder is very treatable with the right meds and psychotherapy. Ted Turner had Bipolar Disorder as did Catherine Zeta Jones.
As you may know they often have comorbid addictions such as gambling, sex and alcohol and drug addiction.
Be kind to her and try to move her in the right direction. You should educate yourself about Bipolar Disorder as well.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, take heed, the dangerous part of the bipolar cycle is not during a depressive phase it is during a manic one when people are impulsive.

^^^^^^^^
Not true. Suicide happens in the Depressive phase.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you're going through this. My first wife was diagnosed bi-polar and psychotic. Became violent and dangerous. It was a blessing when she left.

Your sister is beyond your help. There's nothing you can do for her. If she won't accept professional help, try to keep her out of your life. Be wary should her condition take a violent turn. None of this is your fault. You're a bystander at a train wreck.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Para's answer.

If you know for a fact how she does not want to be treated.
Avoid that interaction with her.

People know when you are interacting with them as if they are damaged or incapable.

She's living by a completely different set of boundaries.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55181 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Forget the mental illness for a second.

What specific behaviors does she have that are unwelcome around you and your family?

Focus on those. Set boundaries. The fact that she may or may not have a mental illness doesn't really matter, specific harmful behaviors do and can't be tolerated. You'll always love her and it doesn't really matter why she does X behavior, but she's not welcome to do X behavior around your family.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^That seems like a reasonable plan.

Posts: 11617 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you can focus on the emotional aspect. Whether she thinks she is mentally compromised or not, she can acknowledge she has an emotional reaction to the situation without the offense of being considered to be mentally ill. Maybe address that. "Hey sis, I may have misspoken. I meant to address the emotion you described. Can we discuss that?" And leave the ball in her court.

I imagine if everyone around me thought I was mentally ill and I disagreed, I'd be defensive too. I'd probably withdraw too. I'd eventually contact a member of my family too. And if mental health became a topic or spoken in passing, I'd withdraw again. It might be time for an olive branch and diplomacy. I'd never mention the word mental to her again.

petr, I am so sorry for your loss. There are many among us who have lost children who can empathize with you. We all feel it when one of us loses a loved one.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine if everyone around me thought I was mentally ill and I disagreed, I'd be defensive too. I'd probably withdraw too. I'd eventually contact a member of my family too. And if mental health became a topic or spoken in passing, I'd withdraw again. It might be time for an olive branch and diplomacy. I'd never mention the word mental to her again.

Pretty much my take, she may be just worn out of the focus on the mental health issue and being reminded of it constantly. Might be that was part of the issue with her spouse as well.

Perhaps if you can get her there, a summer back yard lunch, kids playing, just a nice neutral afternoon, something short enough that she has a good time but nothing about the mental/emotional issues should be brought up.

petr, I'm sorry for your loss of your son...

Posts: 24255 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nothing you can do. A good friend, who is like my little brother from another mother, is depressive and bipolar. I’ve dealt with it for almost 30 years. There is nothing you can do. They have to help themselves, seek therapy, medication, etc. They either do the right thing or they don’t.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12936 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello holdem,

I am so sorry to hear that your sister is inflicted with mental health issues.

To petr and everyone else in the same or similar situation, my heart goes out to you and your families for how the mental health of your loved ones has so significantly impacted your lives. I cannot begin imagine.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any ideas around treatments or therapies or ‘game plans’ for a short, medium or long-range medical or treatment solutions.

That said, if this were my sister or other immediate family member I think that I would consider or attempt to get together with them sooner rather than later.

Sooner because her condition may worsen and another opportunity to get together may not be for a while or if ever again.

Also, by getting together it may give you comfort that you are ‘doing something’ to try to bring yourselves together as a family as it were.

If you do not at least try you may wind up carrying a regret or guilt for a long time.

If she does come down for a visit is it feasible for her to stay at a hotel nearby?

This would give everyone some space and breathing room, with less pressure to have to entertain each other 24/7 or come up with topics of pleasant and acceptable conversation.

Also, if things should deteriorate you would not have to ask her to leave your house.

Maybe plan some outings or a picnic at a nearby park, or take everyone to an amusement park to spend the day, etc.

She says she loves the kids so an opportunity for her to connect a little bit with them would be nice.

Another matter of concern, for me at least if in the same boat, would be to know if my family member was prone to sudden outbursts of violence. If so, all of the above would be a hard no-go.

Ugh, such a difficult situation.

I wish you and your family all of my best.

Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3579 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post