SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Atlanta Traffic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta Traffic Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Went through on 75 on Christmas Eve, thought it would be better, nope.
Bumper to bumper, 85 mph. On the way home, 4 hours from southern Atlanta
to north Atlanta. Stop and go. My leg was killing me. Never again.
I65, I don't care how many more miles it is.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
The above comment makes me ask another question. Has anyone ever taken the panhandle west and then north? In my case I was wondering about taking I10 west to Alabama to US 231 and then to I65. That might work but I'm wondering what 231 is like and how many additional miles and time it would add.

231 is pretty decent especially in the rural areas. The worst part will be going thru Dothan AL and that is not too bad usually (unless it is raining, no one in Dothan can drive in the rain).

Note: If you take this route make sure you fuel up before Montgomery, you don't want to stop there. Montgomery isn't as bad as say Memphis, but it ain't good.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yes. When we drive Chicago to Tampa, we avoid Atlanta all together.

In Nashville, instead of getting on interstate 24, we stay on 65 down to Montgomery, AL. In Montgomery, we get on Route 231 and take down through Dothan, cross into Florida, and pick up interstate 10 near Marianna, FL.

According to Google Maps, it adds 2 hours to the drive. But, after crawling through the Atlanta metro area on prior trips, I wouldn’t be surprised if this route is actually faster.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The above comment makes me ask another question. Has anyone ever taken the panhandle west and then north? In my case I was wondering about taking I10 west to Alabama to US 231 and then to I65. That might work but I'm wondering what 231 is like and how many additional miles and time it would add.

I was going to suggest that as an alternative but it added 2 hours, but if you were stuck in the A-T-L for an hour in traffic it's not that much different and a significantly less stressful trip..

Posts: 23469 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Exactly this. When I drive to Florida from Ohio I time it to hit Atlanta at 03:00. Most times we get a room North of Atlanta, eat, a little sleep then drive thru. Too old to drive straight thru anymore anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I used to go through Atlanta on I-75 to get to Florida. I timed it to get to town about 4 AM. Still plenty of traffic, but it was 85+ MPH. With lots of high speed lane changes! I can only imagine the insanity during daylight.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good reason to not live in Atlanta. I guess if you live there you get used to a long commute. I grew up in a large metropolitan area and distance was measured in how long it took to get there. I now measure in miles. We don't even have a traffic report.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's manageable, with a bit of luck and brains- where you need to go and how you might get there- it's not all bad.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It seems that route always has some sort of road construction. I would check ahead. Certainly more scenic route.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well in order to keep the limo and taxi drivers happy, they decided to merge I-75 and I-85 to keep them away from the Omni and Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.

Don't miss the Mt. Paran General Store if you decide the traffic is too much to tolerate. Their parking lot is way better than the 400 interchange. Wink

That place ain't been right since Sherman burned it.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Yes. When we drive Chicago to Tampa, we avoid Atlanta all together.

In Nashville, instead of getting on interstate 24, we stay on 65 down to Montgomery, AL. In Montgomery, we get on Route 231 and take down through Dothan, cross into Florida, and pick up interstate 10 near Marianna, FL.

According to Google Maps, it adds 2 hours to the drive. But, after crawling through the Atlanta metro area on prior trips, I wouldn’t be surprised if this route is actually faster.

How long does that route normally take you? Do you drive straight through or stay over night somewhere?

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

How long does that route normally take you? Do you drive straight through or stay over night somewhere?

I'm retired so there's no hurry.

We usually stay overnight in Nashville, and then stop a second night in Gainesville.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Thanks

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I always take 285. I've made the Orlando-Chicago drive more times than I have cared to.

I usually try to leave in the evening so I hit Atlanta around midnight.

I also try not to come back to Florida on a Sunday afternoon because everyone is coming home from out of state and you will hit traffic pretty hard on I75 from Gainesville to the exit for the turnpike.

Posts: 13126 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post