SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Atlanta Traffic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta Traffic Login/Join 
posted
I drove down to Orlando from Chicago Saturday. Holy shit, was the traffic in Atlanta horrendous. I will never complain about Chicago traffic again. I75 was a parking lot from the northern part of the city to the southern part. Bumper to bumper,standstill most of the way. That was around 3:00 on a Saturday. Does anyone from the area have any tips on avoiding that on the way back? Better time of day, the day itself etc. I dread going back because of it. Thanks

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I can only suggest you use google maps and it may reroute you around 285 if it's bad on 75/85 in town. I despise going anywhere near the Perimeter let alone in town Frown

You're screwed

Posts: 5332 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I go back to the western NC mountains from TX I have to go thru ATL. Usually I just use 285, it’s still bumper to bumper but at 85 mph. Complete pandemonium.

Next time I may just go 2 lane roads up thru Rome and avoid ATL altogether, but it adds an hour to an already long trip.

Where 75 and 85 meet is always a parking lot. I’ve only ONCE gotten thru there w/o it being congested and slow.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I go back to the western NC mountains from TX I have to go thru ATL. Usually I just use 285, it’s still bumper to bumper but at 85 mph. Complete pandemonium.

Do not do this. 285 between 75 and 85 on the top end is under construction. Expect LONG delays.

As far as when to drive through Atlanta. After 8pm and before 6am during the work week. If you have to during the day, the best time is between 10am-2pm and that's still a crapshoot.

Weekends are hit or miss. Depends on football and/or baseball events. Lots of construction now too.

Overall, I'd say get a peachpass but I know how much I hate having to spend toll money...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
When traveling from Western NC we take back roads through Ga. and intersect I-75 in Macon. We reverse course on the return trip. GPS says it costs us 45 minutes travel time but with the stupid delays in Atl. we make up time.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside, when I hit the Atlanta area, Google told me to take the I75 Express Lanes. So I did and discovered that a Peach Pass is required which I do not have. I can only hope the toll and the fine doesn't bankrupt me. But it is a beautiful road and helped me get through Atlanta. I didn't save much time but every minute counts.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Use the 285 loop. That's not a guarantee, but what I can tell you is that your chances of moving non-stop through Atlanta are much better if you avoid I-75/85 inside 285. Yes, it adds miles to your journey, but at least you're in motion.

On the top-end of 285 between 75 and 85- watch out for motorists traveling at excessive speeds. Word to the wise.

Posts: 107625 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Strange time for that much traffic. Must have been a wreck or construction.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Strange time for that much traffic. Must have been a wreck or construction.
Perhaps a single raindrop fell somewhere within the Atlanta Metro area.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You're going to use I-285 around the west side of town to avoid the downtown based on mileage.

As mentioned, construction and accidents can have a major effect on the traffic and that's somewhat unpredictable.
One thing you can do to give yourself the best chance, is to pick the hours you go through there and avoid anything around morning or evening rush hour. While that's still no guarantee, you have a much better chance.

Another option is to go around the east side using I-675 and I-285 coming back. That adds about 10 miles to the trip but the highway itself seems to be in much better condition to me. However being from Chicago it probably all seems better to you. Smile

Many of the phone mapping apps have real-time traffic showing traffic flow/speed graphically that can be a big help if you see slowdowns early enough.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The times we used to go thru Atlanta to or from trips to Florida, we’d always try to hit it either late at night or real early in the morning. That’s all I got.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of the phone mapping apps have real-time traffic showing traffic flow/speed graphically that can be a big help if you see slowdowns early enough.

Waze is a plus to have for traffic info, and PoPo references.

Driving in the south requires some form of NASCAR mentality at times.

As others said, going I75/85 though the city is a straighter shot, however it can be a crap shoot. Some times it's smooth and faster, others it's a parking lot, running 285 on the West side you have a better shot at staying moving than downtown.

Weekends, early AM seem to be best or really late after work traffic hours, maybe a wreck, construction, some kind of ball game letting out downtown slowed it when you came through. Thing is you can have a wreck on I85 in the area and it will FUBAR I75 traffic as well if it's within a mile of the interchange.

Run WAZE, watch it for traffic info ahead, and stay in off peak times.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Driving in the south requires some form of NASCAR mentality at times.
And don't forget your Goody's® Headache Powders!

posted Hide Post
I used to go through Atlanta on I-75 to get to Florida. I timed it to get to town about 4 AM. Still plenty of traffic, but it was 85+ MPH. With lots of high speed lane changes! I can only imagine the insanity during daylight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always plan our trips to go through ATL around 2am or so...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot I miss about living in Atlanta, but the traffic isn’t one of them. It just plain sucks.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good info here. Thanks for all the help.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Never forget... you're not IN traffic. You ARE traffic.

If Yankees would drive to Florida some other way our traffic would improve greatly.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The above comment makes me ask another question. Has anyone ever taken the panhandle west and then north? In my case I was wondering about taking I10 west to Alabama to US 231 and then to I65. That might work but I'm wondering what 231 is like and how many additional miles and time it would add.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

The above comment makes me ask another question. Has anyone ever taken the panhandle west and then north? In my case I was wondering about taking I10 west to Alabama to US 231 and then to I65. That might work but I'm wondering what 231 is like and how many additional miles and time it would add.
It has been a few years since I drove that route, but the last time that I drove it, 231 was fairly fast through rural areas, and it was four lane divided with businesses on each side in more populated areas, and a T-34 (see typical photo below) on the southbound side -- I was northbound. The T-34 belonged to the flying club at Montgomery Air Force base. It was flying to Montgomery Regional Airport (just a few minute flight), and ran out of fuel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post