SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
HD is going after the Indian Scout, similar design influences, remains to be seen if HD's bike at $14,999 can compete with the scout that runs $9-12K.

Link

As part of its lineup overhaul, Harley-Davidson officially pulled the sheet off its new 121-horsepower Sportster S model, topping off the performance bike range with double the output of its Iron 1200 model.

Harley has been teasing the new Sportster S for a while now, touting its performance and hinting that it would render the bikes it replaces obsolete. Power comes from Harley-Davidson's new 1,250cc water-cooled V-twin, dubbed the Revolution Max 1250T. It makes 121 horses and 94 pound-feet in the Sportster S (as opposed to the 150 horsepower it produces in Harley's Pan America 1250 adventure touring bike). Despite nearly doubling the Iron 1200's horsepower, its fuel economy is expected to be 1 mpg better (49 vs. 48).

“The Sportster S is the next all-new motorcycle built on the Revolution Max platform and sets a new performance standard for the Sportster line," said Jochen Zeitz, chairman, president and CEO, Harley-Davidson. "This is a next-generation Sportster defined by power, performance, technology and style. And it’s part of our commitment to introduce motorcycles that align with our strategy to increase desirability and to drive the legacy of Harley-Davidson."

"Every visual design element of the Sportster S model is an expression of the motorcycle’s raw power," said Harley-Davidson design boss Brad Richards. "This is a wolf in wolf’s clothing."

The Sportster S is more than just a new engine. Its powertrain is a structural member of the chassis, which means it doesn't have a conventional frame, but sub-frame elements bolted directly to the driveline. H-D says this significantly reduces the bike's weight (it weighs 62 lbs less than the Iron 1200) and helps centralize the mass better for superior control. Its high-mounted exhaust and forward-mounted controls reinforce its performance ambitions, but H-D will offer a relocation kit for those who want a more relaxed posture.

The Sportster S will be available this fall with a starting price of $14,999.

Autoblog Link

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
They coulda made it unfugly

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Good LORD, that thing is BUTT fugly!!!! Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Click out to 8 min to miss all the corporate speak and see it in action..

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Geez, HD needs some design pointers from the Italians and Japanese. Engine isn't even all that impressive for a V-Twin. Thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every single branch (and I'm guessing they drug it back to the top to let it have another go Razz )

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From that R side shot, the exhaust & swingarm are the only pain points for me.

Will be interesting to see them once the aftermarket gets things going & cleans it up a bit.

Would probably still get an Indian Scout over this, though (probably for less $$ too).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I kinda like it. Sort of Mad Max like.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minor point but the tail light looks odd to me. I would have to ride it before I come to any conclusions. The seat looks good for 15 minutes of ride time. Looks heavy but specs say it is 500 pounds wet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And this is what HD is putting that Sportster up against. Game, set, and match, Indian.

Indian Scout

Indian FTR 1200

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Meh.. I think the Indian FTR 1200 would get my money if I wanted this type of bike.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
“Okay folks, Remember how everyone hated the V-rod, well imagine if we take that engine and put it in a Sportster……. Wait , no cone back ! My story gets better!!!””

LoL, I love Harleys up to & thru the 2000’s. But once Willie G Davidson left the designs went to shit. Harley needed to start shifting its design direction but I feel it went to quickly & drastically in a direction that’s irritated almost every owner & rider I talk to.
Companies with historic / legacy images should look at Porsche & take a hint.
Small steady progression & improvements over time while sticking to the classic design cues.

My .02¢

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Aaagghhh! It is insanely ugly! I can't believe H-D would even offer such an ugly bike. Sportsters are supposed to be clean, uncluttered machines and this one is anything but. Epic fail.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be caught dead sitting on that thing, even in the showroom. Harley came up with a new way to define ugly that's for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
It's perfect.

The sporster is the ladies model, and well hey chicks on bikes. I'm ok with it.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
HD sure is getting good at making ugly motorcycles.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Game, set, and match, Indian.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I am the farthest thing from a motorcycle guy; however, that Indian Scout picture is making me wonder why I'm not.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9152 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
In the 70's the Sportster was a good looking bike. This new one, not so much.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's really a bad looking motorcycle IMO, the look just seems to be for styling's sake and following the trendy fat tires without fenders and scrambler high, burn your thigh, exhaust. Function or elegance were never considered by whatever team styled it. Just look where the seat and rear fender stop, they don't even make it over the rear axle. Once the initial wave are sold I can't see it selling very well because it's ugly and not cheap.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It's clearly not for everyone, obviously HD is targeting youth buyers, upgrade the engine, improve the electronics, do away with the old styling.

If you take the time to look at the video, click up to 8 min and you can see the advanced electronics, three mode riding selection from Rain, Normal, Sport, digital output in a round traditional look some of the new tech.

This bike along with the PanAmerica shows that HD is addressing their product line toward the youth market.

We are the old and busted, they are the new hotness Big Grin