SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
HD is selling every single Pan America they make, they can't keep up in production

It's a sharp looking bike. I'd like about an hour on one to see what it's all about but I'm certain I wouldn't buy one new right now. MoCo did a good job with the Pan America, the Sportster? Not so much (IMHO Razz )

There are a lot of dealerships that have Demo bikes and will let you ride one. I test rode a Pan American out at Stonewall Harley in Orange. Give them a call.

It's not my cup of tea, bad knees, it was not comfortable for me, but it is a sweet bike.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
My first (and last) HD was a '68 XLCH Sporty. I had up to then only ridden Triumphs, but the Triumph/Yamaha dealer I was wrenching at owner bought a new XLCH but took a lot of shit for it - so he sold it to me. I thought I was the King of the Effing World, 18 years old with a brand new '68 T120R Bonneville AND a new '68 XLCH Sportster.

The XLCH Sportster had a mag for ignition, and a spark advance/retard control on the left grip, similar to the throttle. I ended up on my head a couple of times late at night after some hard drinking, and forgetting to retard the spark before kick starting that bitch.

Not mine, but it looked like this except mine had a smaller peanut tank with the HD logo airbrushed on the sides of the tank - paint by Molly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
I'll take this one i am getting old and need more stuff when i travel Smile

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jreNazSIGP8" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
I have seen several of the Roadmaster trikes. They are very nice. I like the big Honda trike and its 6 cylinder best. I did a Maps online review for the local Indian dealer. As of last Autumn I had over 116,000 people view the photos I posted. Probably a lot higher now.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
My first (and last) HD was a '68 XLCH Sporty. I had up to then only ridden Triumphs, but the Triumph/Yamaha dealer I was wrenching at owner bought a new XLCH but took a lot of shit for it - so he sold it to me. I thought I was the King of the Effing World, 18 years old with a brand new '68 T120R Bonneville AND an a new '68 XLCH Sportster.

The XLCH Sportster had a mag for ignition, and a spark advance/retard control on the left grip, similar to the throttle. I ended up on my head a couple of times late at night after some hard drinking, and forgetting to retard the spark before kick starting that bitch.

You thought you were king of the world because you were.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
My first (and last) HD was a '68 XLCH Sporty. I had up to then only ridden Triumphs, but the Triumph/Yamaha dealer I was wrenching at owner bought a new XLCH but took a lot of shit for it - so he sold it to me. I thought I was the King of the Effing World, 18 years old with a brand new '68 T120R Bonneville AND an a new '68 XLCH Sportster.

You thought you were king of the world because you were.

HaHa! It was the beginning of owning waaay too many bikes for my situation, a malady that continues to this day.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
aileron, you're the boss!!

I don't like the Harley, but admittedly I'm a Honda guy. I have four Hondas, with the newest being a 1981 CB900C. When I want a good shaking, I take the 1977 Yamaha XS650 out for a spin.

Considering my bias, this bike doesn't do anything for me. I actually like the 883, but if I were going to get a bruiser style bike, which to me is what this new Sportster S looks like, I would go find me a slightly used Rocket III, or Valkyrie Smile. The worst part of the new HD Sportster is the scrambler style exhaust. Seems odd.

I do like the Indian.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, another new Harley and a good running 600cc UJM would out run it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Oh boy, another new Harley and a good running 600cc UJM would out run it.
Big Grin ...and cost way less doing it. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I had a 2008 1200C. I liked that Sportster, rode her for three years. Here is a pic.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had and rode a 1984 Sportster 1000cc for 5 years. It had been converted to final belt drive (really nice) by the dealer. When I had a bad accident in 1989 I had the bike repaired and sold it. It eventually made its way to The Netherlands, I understand.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Sportster S is more than just a new engine. Its powertrain is a structural member of the chassis, which means it doesn't have a conventional frame, but sub-frame elements bolted directly to the driveline.
The Vincent Black Shadow did this over 70 years ago.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I'm really glad to see HD is finally using the VRod motor for something. I had an 03 VRod and the only good thing about it was that motor. I'd kind of like to see where they've taken it. 121 HP in a reasonably light bike should be a hoot.

That exhaust though is a sin against god, nature, and the rider's inner right thigh.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Even with several professional upgrades I maxed my 2012 forty-eight at 93 hp. So looks aside, 121 is quite the jump.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I'm really glad to see HD is finally using the VRod motor for something. I had an 03 VRod and the only good thing about it was that motor. I'd kind of like to see where they've taken it. 121 HP in a reasonably light bike should be a hoot.

That exhaust though is a sin against god, nature, and the rider's inner right thigh.

The only think this new motor has in common with the VROD is that it burns gas.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook has been pushing the Indian Bobber at me for a while. Never owned a bike. Probably get myself killed on one if I did. But it does look very cool and the price is not bad at all.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Checked it out at the IMS in Sonoma yesterday.

Meh...

Big meat on the front... doesn't cut it IMO. Style over function.

Checked out the Indian FTR.

MUCH nicer! Looks like the business and felt much better when I threw a leg over it.

Didn't ride either, but based on my observations, the FTR gets it.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Style over function.

Has been Harley Davidson's problem for many years.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The touting of 121 HP is fine but not that big a deal. Just about everyone has motors that develop 1 HP per CC these days. My BMW F850GS = 90 HP.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The touting of 121 HP is fine but not that big a deal. Just about everyone has motors that develop 1 HP per CC these days. My BMW F850GS = 90 HP.
I think you must mean 1 hp per cubic inch, not cc. Possibly 1 hp per 10cc.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... Thanks for the correction.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post