SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley Davidson releases new Sportster, new 121 hp engine Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Oh my.
Remember that episode of “The Simpsons” where Homer gets to design a new car?
Yeah….Frown

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
obviously HD is targeting youth buyers

If you take the time to look at the video, click up to 8 min and you can see the advanced electronics, three mode riding selection from Rain, Normal, Sport, digital output in a round traditional look some of the new tech.

I watched the video and all I saw was a hideous piece of shit that sounded even worse (more thumper like than v-twin....listen from the 13 min mark). There's no chance that this sells well for HD. ZERO! The tech package has been on Euro and Jap bikes for quite some time and HD is gonna have a hard time catching up. Oh yeah- single front disc and a fuel range of `150 miles Roll Eyes

I'm glad they are thinking about their future but this is gonna be a flop (even overseas, which I think is their target). I really do want Harley Davidson to come out with something that changes the worlds opinion about them. I've been lusting after a M8 Road King Police for a while but they can't even get the sumping issue taken care of.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm a 2016 Indian Scout ABS owner so I'm obviously biased. My thoughts on the HD Sportster S:
  • About time. This iteration of the Scout has been out since 2015 and it's 100 hp. HD's more expensive existing bike with only 58 hp has been getting trounced by the Scout for 6 years.
  • If HD is targeting young riders, the $14,999 price point seems odd. Scout is less money (10999 as bobber, 11999 in regular trim, and 12899 in the regular trim w/ ABS like mine), but admittedly it doesn't have ride modes (e.g. Rain, Normal, Sport). However, earlier this year Honda released Rebel 1100 that does have 3 ride modes, but only $9299 for a 6-speed manual and only $9999 for a 6-speed automatic (aka DCT). Additionally, the Honda is built on a proven motor from the Honda Africa Twin.
  • As others have noted, the muffler is fugly and is in position more likely to burn yourself and give you a toasty right butt cheek on a long ride. Even the Honda Rebel 1100 has a better looking muffler.

In other words, the new HD Sportster S doesn't make me want to trade in my Indian Scout ABS. I'd buy a Honda Rebel 1100 DCT before I'd buy the new HD Sportster S, and I bet a lot of young buyers will as well.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    Well said and I concur Tator. Honda Rebel 1100 is a nice nicely finished motorcycle with a lot to offer for under $10K.
    Hopefully Harley is working on a more normal and less "hipster" variant of the Sportster.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member!
    posted Hide Post
    Here's an awesome explanation of why the Indians have been making so much more HP from the V-twin over Harley. Looks like Harley is going to try and finally play catch up.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Xer0:
    Here's an awesome explanation of why the Indians have been making so much more HP from the V-twin over Harley. Looks like Harley is going to try and finally play catch up.
    Here is another awesome Fortnine video on why modern engines are a structural member of the chassis (skip ahead to 8:20):

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    Perfect for Harley. Sell an over priced bike that needs lots of upgrades. Then design and sell you the upgrades.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I am old and have had several Sporties over the years starting with my first 1979 XLS and I still have an XLCR. I have always liked Sportsters. This new bike is not designed for old guys like me and for that I think Harley made the right decision to aim for the younger crowd. Yes the exhaust and taillight are ugly, but the exhaust was ugly on my 1979 and is usually one of the first things to hit the trash can. I hope they sell a bunch of them.

Posts: 419 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    Those mega mufflers are ugly but they are also a function of epa noise abatement laws. In retrospect I think the Sportster S is aimed more at the FTR line than the Scout, the price points are more in line, HP similar, look at the exhaust on the FTR, more EPA influenced noise design.

HD is selling every single Pan America they make, they can't keep up in production, hopefully this will follow along the same lines. Dealers are getting $$ over MSRP, yes I know capitalism sucks, but thats the Pandemic market today.

I can't wait to test ride both...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Perception
    posted Hide Post
    I think that bike puts Harley in a weird spot. If I was shopping for something in that vein, I would spend less money and buy the better looking Scout or pony up a little more and buy the better looking and performing Diavel. I think the the Pan America looks like a really good bike, but I don't see it in the new Sportster.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
    "Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
    "I did," said Ford, "it is."
    "So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
    "It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
    "You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
    "Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
    "But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
    "Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Made from a
    different mold
    Picture of mutedblade
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    HD is selling every single Pan America they make, they can't keep up in production

It's a sharp looking bike. I'd like about an hour on one to see what it's all about but I'm certain I wouldn't buy one new right now. MoCo did a good job with the Pan America, the Sportster? Not so much (IMHO Razz )

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    It's the same engine design as the Pan America, and that bike has 150 HP,

Bet a tuning kit for the Sportster S is on the horizon, Stage 2 or 3 with chip, filter, exhaust and you'll be pushing 150 hp easy...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    ... obviously HD is targeting youth buyers, ...

quote:
    Originally posted by Calif Phil:
    I am old ... This new bike is not designed for old guys like me ...

I'm old... -ish (70, this year). Maybe I'm just young at heart? Smile I like it. I admit I like the Indian Scout more, though.

Now, as to whether my back would stand up to riding one of those for very long: That's another question entirely

It's almost certainly moot. My wife is fairly strongly opposed to me riding again and we've no room in the garage to park a bike, anyway Frown

(Every time we drive by a bike for sale on the side of the road I start singing Arlo Guthrie's Motorcycle Song.)

Anyway, I kind of like it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Calif Phil:
    I am old ... This new bike is not designed for old guys like me ...

Burt Munro would beg to disagree about age and riding.... Big Grin

7.62mm Crusader
    posted Hide Post
    I see all kinds if Indians each week as the Dealership is just next door. Much more refined looking bikes than the stock Harleys. At one time they stocked a sweet red, white and, blue Scout. I keep watching the vids for 2021 Triumph Rocket3 R. What a great machine. Hope to see one in the wild one day.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by David Lee:
    I see all kinds if Indians each week as the Dealership is just next door. Much more refined looking bikes than the stock Harleys. At one time they stocked a sweet red, white and, blue Scout. I keep watching the vids for 2021 Triumph Rocket3 R. What a great machine. Hope to see one in the wild one day.

My local Indian dealer is also a Triumph (and BMW) dealer.
    I checked out the R3 & it's a big bike, with a quite wide tank.
    Didn't ride it, so no impressions there.
    My father-in-law tried one a yew years ago & said he didn't like how the transmission felt, but that may be improved by now.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    It's clearly not for everyone, obviously HD is targeting youth buyers, upgrade the engine, improve the electronics, do away with the old styling.
    Unfortunately, I just don't think they get anywhere close to that demo with this bike. If I'm young and looking for a bike, I have a myriad of Asian or European options that are faster, handle better, and cost far less. If HD wants to complete in this category, they need to further pare down the bike and make it much lighter, while improving the handling dynamics and lowering the price. And don't even get me started on the PanAmerica. Wink

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Those Harleys are horrid, my God and I was a Harley guy.
    I did have a Scout and did some work on it. Damn fine motorcycle and wake the dead loud after I was done with it.
    My 1st Harley was a 1200 Sportster that had carberators. That was a nice bike also. This new one looks like, well it looks like shit honestly.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of side_shot
    posted Hide Post
    I'll take this one i am getting old and need more stuff when i travel Smile

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jtedescucci
    posted Hide Post
    I see the engine and the wheels.... Where's the rest of it?

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post