SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Policewoman shot dead playing 'fastest to draw' in Paris
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Policewoman shot dead playing 'fastest to draw' in Paris Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Don’t they carry 2022’s? If so it’s kinda hard to “accidently” pull the DA trigger if de-cocked.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Ready, Fire, Aim. Woops

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
These are the class who the media describe as highly trained and thus, the only ones who should be able to wield firearms.

Posts: 7381 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cochise County Arizona.1972. Two Cochise County deputies were at the Bowie Substation and decided to have an impromptu fast-draw contest.Deputy Danny Alexander shot and killed J.D. Smith. Shot him in the neck, was deceased when the medics got there.
Deputy Alexander was not prosecuted, adjudged as an accident,however he was fired the next day by Sheriff Jimmie Judd.
True story.

Posts: 405 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Note to self: don’t participate in fast-draw contests.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9007 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
I have heard of being “bored to death”, but I thought it was only a figure of speech.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:

This was a quick draw demonstration too.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/7...ain-robert-ray-jones

Texas DPS captain.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Don’t they carry 2022’s? If so it’s kinda hard to “accidently” pull the DA trigger if de-cocked.

In this case, for the special French edition, DA doesn't stand for double action.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe... If I recall correctly.... That the quick draw gunfight between two cowboys at high noon is mostly a Hollywood creation and rarely if ever happened in the real west.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
One of my coworkers related his story with attempting a quick draw after inheriting a single action army from his father. He practiced and practiced, and when he attempted it for real, he blew a hole in the ground about 2” in front of his big toe.
Said that was the first and last time for that.

Must've had the thing cocked in the holster?!?!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Must've had the thing cocked in the holster?!?!

Not necessarily. If the user wishes to shoot a single action revolver immediately after drawing, it’s necessary to manually cock the hammer. For maximum speed that will be as the revolver is drawn and being brought up to be aimed at the target, including while it’s still pointed at the ground. In addition to cocking the hammer, the shooter then must drop his thump down into position for a proper firing grip on the gun. Waiting until the revolver is pointed at the target to do all that is very slow in comparison.

All that’s fine, but what happens with a careless or overeager shooter is that they also get their finger on the trigger before the revolver is aimed at the target. That’s why shots are sometimes fired into the ground—if not the shooter’s leg. I’m not familiar with the state of the fast draw sport today, but I know that at one time it was common for such competitors to have an angled metal deflection plate mounted below the holster to prevent them from shooting themselves in the leg or foot with a wax bullet because such accidents were so common.

Keep in mind that it’s only been in the last 30+ years that safety emphasis has been placed on “keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (or you’re ready to shoot).” It was only near the end of my career carrying an issued DA revolver that much of anyone worried about that issue. But what wasn’t a problem with a long, heavy DA pull became a major hazard if the shooter cocked the hammer during a draw to engagement.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
From the way he explained it, he cocked the hammer while drawing the pistol and made it about 3/4 the way out of the holster when he got his finger in the trigger guard and had it discharge.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to work with a genius who had managed to nick or ding himself three times by negligent discharge attempting single action fast draw.

Apparently he was so fast on the draw that he was unable to get out of the way in time, and so outdrew himself, and outgunned himself on three different occasions.

Of course, it's also true that he kept losing...to himself. When one can't win a solo gunfight, it may be time to quit.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
[H]e cocked the hammer while drawing the pistol and made it about 3/4 the way out of the holster when he got his finger in the trigger guard ....

Q.E.D.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post