SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boston's new MLK sculpture not received well
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boston's new MLK sculpture not received well Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s grotesque looking, reminds me of some Salvador Dali stuff.

Man, MLK is 0/2 on getting decent statues, that one in DC looks like some Stalinist bullshit and not at all like him.

Posts: 34168 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That is out-right anti-LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ, homophobic, misogynistic, obscene, racist, ugly, and wasteful and funnier than Hell.

Put a plaque on it saying it commemorates Karine Jean-Pierre’s contribution to honesty, objectivity, transparency, and truth.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31624 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I don’t even get what it is supposed to be or represent. All I see is two hands holding “something.” I can’t even tell what the arms are connected to. Why not just make a statue of the man. $10 million for that?

If it was a statue of MLK like a normal statue then you would know what it was. You walk up to this thing and you are looking for the plaque to figure out what the hell it is.

Yeah, I hate 'modern art.'

This is typical, actually, of what I consider all that's wrong with 'art' nowadays. If I envisage a statue of MLK, call me crazy, but I expect to see the man's face. But, no, that's too 'maimnstream' to these puke 'artists.' It doesn't generate 'buzz.' It also requires actual talent - I mean, Michaelagelo's David LOOKS like a dude - not some disjointed arms holding a limp salami.

But this guy wanted to make a statement. I'm sure a bunch of art 'purists' are all agog over this thing, just GUSHING over it. It 'soars.' It captures the 'essense of the man's tortured soul.' Some such nonsense. . .

Reminds me of stories of how some 'masterpiece of abstract art' was in a major art studio for months before somebody realized it was upside down. Or the piece of art in a major art museum that everybody was just gushing over, that turned out to be a plumber's pencil diagram of the bathroom sink.

Crap like this is what I would expect out of some no-talent hack that was trying to 'make a name' for himself. . .

But, to have such a crap piece of 'art' in honor of such an important man is simply a travesty.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21870 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No surprise. The left stumble over themselves trying to raise the level of idiocy - it’s a perpetual race to see who can do the most idiotic thing. This is just par for the course.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12858 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but a pair of female hands holding an erect, upside-down dong? No, they had to know that was a bad idea.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. His mother reveals her work of art which resembles a female’s nether region. Only the men see it.

P229

Posts: 3900 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That Mrs. King sure was a lucky lady.

Posts: 108339 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Takes 2 hands for that sucker. Luckily my wife only needs 1.5.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7000 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Takes 2 hands for that sucker. Luckily my wife only needs 1.5.

So you’re saying she has infant hands? Uses a thimble for a cup?

Damn, that statue is pretty terrible.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4123 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Typo. Meant .5. Tell myself I'm super average.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7000 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That Mrs. King sure was a lucky lady.

Tell me, schatze, is it twue what they say about the way you people are... gifted?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31624 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a better angle.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That’s a big ole dong man!

Posts: 13845 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So it looks ok if you observe it from just the right angle.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The best part no news outlet is mentioning its in the Boston Common, on Tremont Street, 360 degrees around the thing are junkies, shooting up, overdosing, using the Common as a giant outdoor toilet. The night before the unveiling there was a double stabbing on a transit bus in front of the statue. MLK is rolling in his grave, he deserves much better. In six months it will look even worse when the urban refugees and junkies use it as a bathroom.

Posts: 2801 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shot when the shroud is pulled back, that angle looks like a certain numbered sexual position. From another angle, it look like two hands holding a hefty dong, smh.

Another angle you can see what the artist was trying to do...however, shit like this doesn't just get created in secrecy. Who ever thought this was ok to represent King was a collection of tasteless, idiots.

What the hell is the matter with creating a dignified statue of the man?

Posts: 14855 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11045 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
This is a better angle.

Now, see, for $10 million you oughtta be able to do a lot more with that upper image. Get the smiles right, get the eyes right, and a life-sized or even twice life-sized reproduction of the upper image in bronze would've worked out pretty dang well. And keeping at least her hands on his back would've kept that eight-year-old kid in the crowd from yelling out something rude.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
When I heard there was some kind of controversy, I googled it not knowing what the problem was yet. Went to images and of course got rows of small pictures to choose from. There was one that to me, in a smaller pic, reminded me of images of someone with their head up their own ass:

I prefer to keep thinking of it that way.

Posts: 7310 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more you look at it, the more ridiculous it is.

I can only imagine its absurdity seeing it in-person.

Posts: 14855 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post