SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boston's new MLK sculpture not received well
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boston's new MLK sculpture not received well Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
The jokes kind of write themselves on this one. Go to the link to see the images. I've seen other images posted as well, from some angles it really does look bad.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/15/...etta-scott-king-kin/

‘Woke’ $10M MLK ‘penis’ statue insults black community: Coretta Scott King kin
By Jesse O’Neill
January 15, 2023 5:28pm Updated

Even some kin of Coretta Scott King hate the new $10 million sculpture just dedicated to her and her iconic civil rights leader husband in Boston — with a cousin claiming it “looks like a penis.”

The massive bronze piece, titled “The Embrace,” features two sets of arms holding each other, an artistic interpretation of the classic photo of Coretta and hubby Martin Luther King Jr. hugging after he won the Nobel Peace Price in 1964.

“The mainstream media … was reporting on it like it was all beautiful, ’cause they were told they had to say that,” Seneca Scott, Coretta’s cousin, told The Post by phone Sunday, referring to the new artwork on the Boston Common.

“But then when it came out, a little boy pointed out — ‘That’s a penis!’ and everyone was like, ‘Yo, that’s a big old dong, man,’” said the 43-year-old Oakland, Calif. resident.

“If you had showed that statute to anyone in the ’hood, they’d have been like, ‘No, absolutely not.’ “

He wrote scornfully in Compact mag, “Ten million dollars were wasted to create a masturbatory metal homage to my legendary family members — one of the all-time greatest American families.”

Seneca told The Post that “woke” culture allowed the expensive abstract experiment to come to fruition.

Members of the King family last week unveiled the artwork near where MLK and Coretta first met in college.

Martin Luther King III approved the piece, which was designed by conceptual artist Hank Willis Thomas for the organization Embrace Boston.

The artwork’s funding was the result of a public/private fundraising partnership, the city of Boston said on its online site. It’s unclear how much public money may have gone into the sculpture.

“When we recognize that all storytelling is an abstraction, all representation is an abstraction, hopefully it allows us to be open to more dynamic and complex forms of representation that don’t stick us to narrative that oversimplifies a person or their legacy, and I think this work really tries to get to the heart of that,” the artist says on his website.

Martin Luther King III approved the piece, which was designed by conceptual artist Hank Willis Thomas for the organization Embrace Boston.

The artwork’s funding was the result of a public/private fundraising partnership, the city of Boston said on its online site. It’s unclear how much public money may have gone into the sculpture.

“When we recognize that all storytelling is an abstraction, all representation is an abstraction, hopefully it allows us to be open to more dynamic and complex forms of representation that don’t stick us to narrative that oversimplifies a person or their legacy, and I think this work really tries to get to the heart of that,” the artist says on his website.

Seneca’s grandfather was one of 25 children of Jeff Scott, the son of a slave who became one of Alabama’s wealthiest black landowners, Seneca said. His grandfather’s brother, Obadiah, fathered Coretta, whom Seneca said he met once at a family reunion before her 2006 death.

Seneca told The Post that while he couldn’t speak for other members of the family, he felt the 25-foot-wide, 65,000-pound sculpture was a “waste of money” that should be “melted down.

“A solid bronze statue? Like, what are we doing here?” he asked.

“It’s doubly insulting to the black community, who still on average … too many of us are below the poverty line,” Scott said.

“You’re spending $10 million on a bronze statue without heads on it? Man, it’s a joke.”

Meanwhile, the best way to observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday was through “action,” Seneca advised.

“No performative, no photo ops, put your phone down and go do [an act of service] that no one knows about,” he said.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's simply hideous, like all modern art.

Human beings, and what makes us beautiful, is more than just a pair of limbs, for chrissakes.

This artist missed the mark by a mile, not because it "looks like a penis," but because it has absolutely no soul to it. Modern art is so awful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The fuck is that supposed to represent? Confused Roll Eyes

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Boston got scammed

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Gilded turd

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did they put it on a credit card? Maybe they can dispute the charge.

Stupid people doing stupid things to other stupid people.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
From a different angle it looks like vaginal lips.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Apparently MLK,jr embracing his wife...I think.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I think Boston should donate it to the pharmaceutical company who makes the obnoxious Peyronie’s Disease commercials.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not seeing the D, but it is ugly as hell. A simple statute would be much better. I have no artistic taste, but a realistic statue over symbolism or whatever that is would win in my mind.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Boston got exactly what it deserved with that piece of crap

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Apparently MLK,jr embracing his wife...I think.
That is correct. I saw one angle of it with the picture that the sculptor used and it made more sense. Terribly done if it needs pictures and explanations to know what it is.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'll agree it is ugly, but I don't see a penis. Maybe a different angle? I also agree it was a big waste of money.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Oh I see a wiener alright, big bastard too. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ten.
Million.
Dollars.

God bless America.

Posts: 13909 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t even get what it is supposed to be or represent. All I see is two hands holding “something.” I can’t even tell what the arms are connected to. Why not just make a statue of the man. $10 million for that?

If it was a statue of MLK like a normal statue then you would know what it was. You walk up to this thing and you are looking for the plaque to figure out what the hell it is.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like it was inspired by the movie 'Alien'.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I swear, we cant get nothing right in this country any more.. Big Grin

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post