SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reap what you sow. - Starbucks Says Drug Use, Sleeping Unacceptable as It Clarifies Guest Policy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reap what you sow. - Starbucks Says Drug Use, Sleeping Unacceptable as It Clarifies Guest Policy Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
karma is a bitch

and their 'coffee' is the worst I've ever had the misfortune of tasting

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Visiting a friend's bookstore yesterday, I noticed a formerly cutting-edge Starbucks at 4th and South in Philadelphia shut down with brown paper over their windows. South Street is a hip area for 20-something partiers and aging hipsters. This Starbucks had a decent 2nd floor with windows overlooking the corner.

It seemed rather ballsy to open as it did years ago. Over the years I might have been a customer three times; knowing the surrounding poverty, I can only guess the interior became a homeless encampment.

Oh, well. More business for one-up owner-run establishments.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I was in Seattle for a conference last week. I went into a few starbucks and each one had 2-3 individuals that appeared to be living there.

Not much you can do about it in Seattle I guess.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
...each one had 2-3 individuals that appeared to be living there.
Good lord...that HAS to violate some health ordinance SOMEWHERE!?!? Can you imagine the bugs and vermin these people carry and attract? I'm not trying to be judgemental...I'm just thinking about the health risk of some hobo bedding down in his filthy sleeping bag or blanket on his filthy mat in a Starbucks I may frequent. The last damned thing I want to see is some tree roach crawling around the scone display. Not that the store can't get them on its own, but why exacerbate the problem? JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the landlord wanted to up the rent on SBUX and they walked instead. I see this all the time. SBUX has no problem walking away from an established location if the LL tries to squeeze them, and will find a new location down the block.

Also, what I've seen with the bathroom situation is that some SBUXs are now just not letting anyone use the bathroom. I've seen where the "Bathroom" sign has been replaced with "Employees Only".

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Visiting a friend's bookstore yesterday, I noticed a formerly cutting-edge Starbucks at 4th and South in Philadelphia shut down with brown paper over their windows. South Street is a hip area for 20-something partiers and aging hipsters. This Starbucks had a decent 2nd floor with windows overlooking the corner.

It seemed rather ballsy to open as it did years ago. Over the years I might have been a customer three times; knowing the surrounding poverty, I can only guess the interior became a homeless encampment.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
My guess is that the landlord wanted to up the rent on SBUX and they walked instead. I see this all the time. SBUX has no problem walking away from an established location if the LL tries to squeeze them, and will find a new location down the block.

Also, what I've seen with the bathroom situation is that some SBUXs are now just not letting anyone use the bathroom. I've seen where the "Bathroom" sign has been replaced with "Employees Only".

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

They'd better get rid of the bran muffins, then.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good luck to them with that in Florida. Open a restaurant (which is what the business licence says) and you must provide bathroom access for your customers.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Different state, who knows. I know a lot of restaurants here have sign saying that restrooms are for customers only.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Good luck to them with that in Florida. Open a restaurant (which is what the business licence says) and you must provide bathroom access for your customers.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
karma is a bitch

and their 'coffee' is the worst I've ever had the misfortune of tasting

You have my vote for the worst coffee. Got that shit served to us on an airline coming across teh Atlantic a couple decades ago. I spent 11 years in the army, drinking what ever they served for coffee. Stuff brewed in a 20-30 gallon pot the size of a fuel drum. Boiled for some period of time. None of that stuff was nearly as bad as Starbucks.

I have no problem with their policy of denying access to their places for purposes other than buying/drinking coffee. I would have to be very desperate for coffee to buy theirs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post