SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Airlines mechanic 'sabotaged a Florida plane with 150 passengers on board by stopping the automatic piloting system to get overtime
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airlines mechanic 'sabotaged a Florida plane with 150 passengers on board by stopping the automatic piloting system to get overtime Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
parabellum: "OK...are y'all through? Let's move on".

Big Grin

Dayum! You sound just like him. Big Grin

Must bee the stingy font

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rarely do I say "y'all"

Normally, I say "you guys"

After all, I wouldn't want y'all to think I'm a rube

Posts: 107769 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The incident wouldn't have occrred in the US.

We’d like to think that, and hopefully it is true. We do have better training here, but sometimes people don’t perform to the level of their training. I’d agree the incident would be less likely to happen with a US trained crew, saying it flat wouldn’t happen in the US may be a bit of stretch though.
quote:
That said, while training and pilot experience in general is better in the US, we see a large crop of aviators today who do little more than follow the crutches in front of them, and have no experience beyond leaving their flight school environment and coming to an airline where they're spoonfed every step of the way. I've seen some very stupid stuff from US pilots, too.

All the modern avionics is wonderful, but it is a learning curve. I sometimes wonder if some folks are being taught all the electronics *instead* of basic airmanship. “Pitch plus power equals performance.” is a relatively ancient concept, but it still works today and could have avoided a few airliner crashes. Really understanding how systems work and understanding their failure modes doesn’t hurt either.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post