SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Airlines mechanic 'sabotaged a Florida plane with 150 passengers on board by stopping the automatic piloting system to get overtime
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airlines mechanic 'sabotaged a Florida plane with 150 passengers on board by stopping the automatic piloting system to get overtime Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I was thinking...that type of headline keeps me concerned about flying more than terrorism does....til I got to this part....

"Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani is claimed to have glued foam inside a tube that would disable navigation systems in an aircraft at Miami International Airport, in Florida."

Ugh.

Go ahead and claim it was an overtime dispute...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...assengers-board.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12373 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani… Why am I not surprised?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9165 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy should go to jail for a very very long time…….such as a life time.

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Charged with 150+ times for attempted murder, then after the fair trial, he should be hung a 150+ times.

For starters...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44082 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Thread drift: I wondered why the article that was linked in the original post was so slow to load.

Then I noticed the ad blocker count. 178 ads caught and blocked when trying to load the first page. 178! That is be far, the highest number of ads that I have encountered.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30958 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Charged with 150+ times for attempted murder, then after the fair trial, he should be hung a 150+ times.

For starters...

This is what Gibbets are for..

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27072 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
According to this article from the Miami Herald, Link, he's from Iraq and has been a mechanic at American Airlines for over 30 years. I personally don't care what country he's from or what his name is, he should be put away for a very long time.

Posts: 11194 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:...

This is what Gibbets are for...

Yes. That will do.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44082 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
The Soup gold watch nazi now says, “No gold watch for you!”

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:...
This is what Gibbets are for...

Yes. That will do.

Breaking on the wheel.

Although, being a fan of the Roman Empire, I do have a soft spot for crucifixion.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17501 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
A Gibbet Cage, how nice.

Very environmentally friendly, no electricity, no gas, reusable.

Would serve as a great deterrent.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love how the media pronounces his name. His name is Ahmed and they say Amed. Gosh forbid they offend someone with pronunciation and make him terroristic.

Posts: 6956 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I love how the media pronounces his name. His name is Ahmed and they say Amed. Gosh forbid they offend someone with pronunciation and make him terroristic.

John McCain publicly scolded Bill Cunningham for pronouncing president Stampy Feet's middle name at the RNC convention....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29795 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just now on FoxNews, but not yet on their website, Catherine Herridge reporting that the Federal prosecutor says they found Isis propaganda videos and messages on the American Airline mechanic's cell phone.

"Allah we ask you to use all of your might and power to harm non-muslims." was an example of these messages cited by Herridge.

I caught just the tale-end of the report, but Herridge was saying that the mechanic had recently done some "foreign traveling."

"Overtime dispute" my infidel ass. Mad

Posts: 108169 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Plus one on the 150 attempted murder charges.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Up on the FoxNews site now.

American Airlines mechanic accused of sabotaging plane denied bail over possible terrorist ties

A federal judge on Wednesday denied bail to a former American Airlines mechanic accused of sabotaging a jetliner in July over possible links to the Islamic State (ISIS).

U.S. Magistrate Judge Chris McAliley ordered Abdul-Majeed Marouf Ahmed Alani held during a Miami court hearing. He is charged with willfully damaging, destroying or disabling an aircraft,

Prosecutors presented evidence that Alani -- a naturalized American citizen from Iraq -- has a brother with possible ties to ISIS and a history of statements wishing harm to non-Muslims.

They said he recently sent $700 to someone in Iraq and has videos on his cell phone depicting murders committed by ISIS militants. He also failed to disclose to arresting authorities that he traveled to Iraq in March.

"You may be very sympathetic to terrorists," McAliley told Alani at the hearing. "That's very disconcerting."

The judge said that Alani's ability to travel abroad factored into her decision, and that "it is likely you will be convicted."

Alani, 60, worked as a mechanic for the airline when he allegedly sabotaged a Nassau-bound Boeing 737 with 150 passengers and crew aboard at Miami International Airport over stalled labor negotiations.

He allegedly told investigators the labor dispute between the mechanics union and the airline had a negative financial impact on him.

Prosecutors said Alani glued styrofoam inside the nose of the aircraft that disabled a part used to gauge airspeed and other critical flight data. Pilots detected the issue before takeoff, and the plane was taken to another part of the airport for an inspection. That's when the problem was discovered.

Airport surveillance captured Alani working on the plane's nose. He was identified by co-workers.

Alani's public defender argued his client is an experienced mechanic who knew the alleged sabotage would result in the plane being grounded.

"We don't think they are going to be able to prove he intentionally put people in danger," said attorney Christian Dunham. "The plane would have been fine to fly."

Alani was fired after the incident and the Federal Aviation Administration revoked his aircraft mechanic certificate. He is expected to enter a plea Friday.

Posts: 108169 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
more detail

https://www.local10.com/news/f...isis-prosecutors-say

A co-worker also told government officials that Alani had once said his brother was a member of ISIS and that he traveled to Iraq in March to visit him.

Alani's roommate, however, told authorities the trip was not to visit his brother, but had been because his brother had been kidnapped, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said photos on his phone from his trip to Baghdad and Mosul show him smiling and posing with relatives and said he did not appear to be in distress in any of the images.

Alani was born in Iraq but is a U.S. citizen.

According to prosecutors, authorities discovered a November 2018 article that had been sent to him about one of the Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes. The article described the plane having issues with its ADM system.

Authorities said at least one of the ISIS propaganda videos was downloaded on Alani's phone and sent to another person with a message that called for Allah to "use all your might and power against the Kafir," or non-believer.

Posts: 19674 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"We don't think they are going to be able to prove he intentionally put people in danger," said attorney Christian Dunham. "The plane would have been fine to fly."
Eat a shit sandwich, Dunham. Da fug you know about aircraft systems, ESPECIALLY on a B737?? Mind if I see your type rating? Yeah...didn't think so, so I recommend you just have a nice, hot cup of STFU and let the crew of the aircraft, to include the Captain who has FINAL AUTHORITY on the safety of the flight, decide what's airworthy and what's not. Asshole... Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one of these days we are going to learn as a nation that we need to ensure that no muslim gets a job in this country doing anything that could harm non-muslims

at the point where the risk is becoming intolerable

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53417 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Eat a shit sandwich, Dunham. Da fug you know about aircraft systems, ESPECIALLY on a B737?? Mind if I see your type rating? Yeah...didn't think so, so I recommend you just have a nice, hot cup of STFU and let the crew of the aircraft, to include the Captain who has FINAL AUTHORITY on the safety of the flight, decide what's airworthy and what's not. Asshole... Mad

If only we could arrange a flight prepped exactly the same way for the legal team and client and see how many of them want to get on.

Posts: 7432 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post