Tools

Autographs Login/Join 
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
...One of my favorite pieces is a beautiful representation of (4) P-40's flying low across a river in China. It is signed by 16 members of the original Flying Tigers...

I would definitely covet that! Very cool, Browndrake! I have a copy of "Baa Baa Black Sheep", autographed by Boyington, and "No Second Place Winner" autographed by Bill Jordan, but I don't seek them out and am not impressed by most of them.

I used to live near a college that retired VP Hubert Humphrey taught at, and ran into him frequently enough that we would trade small talk. Another friend asked me to attend a convention in Minneapolis, and I went with a girl from my college, a couple years younger than me. She was quite literally struck dumb when I introduced her to Humphrey, he tried unsuccessfully to strike up a conversation, then took the plastic straw hat off her head and autographed it for her. She came out of her trance several minutes after Humphrey and I finished talking and he had left.

I never thought of asking for his autograph myself.

It is pretty cool that you were able to establish something of a relationship with Hubert Humphrey. Had you upon first meeting him asked for his autograph or acted mistified in his presence, like that young lady, I would venture to speculate that the future small talk you had with him might not have taken place.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not a collector but this is fascinating"
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadsh...aph-book--201402A10/
to me anyway

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have a few books that were autographed by the authors, one additionaly has the autograph of Alfred P. Sloan, of General Motors (the REAL GM). Two books by Jean Davidson of Harley Davidson fame whom I met once, both books personalized autographs and one autographed by Paul Tibbets bought off Amazon.

The only non book I have is a die cast car, The Tameless Tiger, autographed by Arnie Beswick. I met Arnie some years ago, the car, some photos and some copies of Drag News with articles about him along with the note he included to the friend that passed those items along to me.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
most prized Bob Hoover, with a picture of him rolling the Shrike.

Saw him do the routine when I was at Embry riddle in 71.

I don't have any but I still have many of my wife's during her days at the NFL and CBS Sports along with working for Saint's Radio. Many of the Saints from the 70's and 80's on game type jerseys and a lot of Archie and Peyton Manning. A few hockey players from the 70's and a lot of the coaching staff of some teams. They are all personalized to her so they are never going anywhere.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I basically agree, but there are exceptions.

I saw Dizzy Gillespie not long before he died at a little Blues club in Georgetown/DC. He's a legend (those cheeks are otherworldly yet return to basically normal), it was extraordinary, I was seated not even 15ft away at a teeny 3-top like from some old movie, and I was blown away.

I shook his hand afterwards, exchanged a few words, and asked him to sign the napkin.

It's my only autograph. It's not even that legible or cool looking, and I haven't shown it to anyone in years, but it does remind me of that night and I love it for that.

Otherwise, I like catching Guitar Picks at shows. I used to have a bunch of them from many famous artists that I personally caught but most were stolen some years back. I think they're similarly cool but don't go out of my way to catch them, it either happens or not, and I don't get that close as often anymore.

But that's it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was never much of an autograph hound. I have a few. All of them except one were after meeting people/being introduced then at the end having them offer to sign something. The one I stood in line and paid for had several mutual friends, when mentioned their names he stopped the signing had me come around the table and chatted for a bit upsetting his handlers before getting back to it. Although I met Gordie Howe before, my mother bought his book and had him sign it while she was there. That is the one I have that I didn't get directly.

Little did I know that a few years later I'd be in a position where people wanted my autograph for a while. To be honest it is cool for a while then it gets a bit annoying depending on where they catch you. Kids were never annoying, and I always took time for kids. Drifting back into obscurity wasn't a bad thing in that regard. Due to that if I meet someone I definitely don't ask to have anything signed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of things signed by music stars that I keep but I surely wouldn't seek out or chase down anyone to sign something. I met a few musicians and I think they were grateful that someone just wanted to hang out and chat instead of hounding them to sign something.

I do have a book Aphrodite: Desperate Mission signed personally to me by one of the guys that was involved in the WW2 mission against the Nazis. I knew him personally and the autograph actually means something to me. He was not a star, just an awesome man and a wonderful person.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've only got four bits of paper with signatures on them that I value greatly.

#1 is signed by the then Secretary of State for Defence, advising anybody that reads it that everybody had better listen up, because I am now a Warrant Officer Class 2. Most soldiers apart from Warrant Officers Class 1 call them 'Sir'.

#2 is almost the same, except that it is now signed by a representative of Her Majesty QE2 - a Warrant Officer First Class, or W01 - is a royal appointment, and those of that rank wear the badge of the Royal Cipher on the right sleeve cuff. They are also called 'Sir' by every soldier of lesser rank, and 'Mister' by officers.

#3 is the almost the most important of all, signed by QE2 herself, and advises everybody that since I have proven myself to be trustworthy and a thoroughly good sort, she be's happy to make me one of her officers, for as long as it pleases her to do so.

Lastly, #4. It's in the flyleaf of a book about a WW2 RCAF bomber pilot called Murray Pedon - it's called 'A thousand shall fall'... I defy anybody reading it not to be profoundly moved by it. He has signed it for me, and the words are private, but I treasure it above all others.

tac

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm not one to seek out an autograph but then I've never been in the position to have the opportunity either.

I do have to say that Michael Schumacher signing and giving his helmet to me would be something I'd never forget and was my big takeaway from this thread. Very cool. Smile

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5564 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in autographs but I do have some t-shirts from placing I've been or events I've attended.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't stand in line to get an autograph, or pay a ridiculous amount for it, but I have some signed football/baseball stuff hanging in the basement that I got fairly cheap.

Got a chance to meet Ted Nugget by accident at a book store years ago. He signed his Kill It and Grill It book for my Mom. It made a cool present.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Back in the 1950's, my father took me to the Indy 500 a few times and I got autographs of my favorite drivers of the time.

One of the few times I asked for an autograph was at the first California 500 race in the early 70s. We had pit passes during practice and I got Johnny Rutherford, Bobby Unser, AJ Foyt, and some others I don't remember. The race program containing these signatures are long gone. Too bad.

I still have several autographs on CD/albums, most notably Andy Partridge from XTC. The band did a rare record signing at Tower Records in support of Nonsuch and had him sign a CD and vinyl album.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
It is pretty cool that you were able to establish something of a relationship with Hubert Humphrey. Had you upon first meeting him asked for his autograph or acted mistified in his presence, like that young lady, I would venture to speculate that the future small talk you had with him might not have taken place.

Those were different times. Even after both Kennedys and MLK were assassinated important people were still approachable, and I approached my share of them -- Walter Cronkite, Nelson Rockefeller, David Brinkley, Carroll Shelby, and others. No autographs, but memories of good conversations with all of them.

Nowadays, you'd need an invitation and background check.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
For the most part autographs mean nothing to me and I love the scam Disney pulls with the books they sell for the characters to sign...

We made two that the girls took on their first trip. At 5 and 3, it was a good way to get them to overcome shyness and approach characters. Cost little, best times were finding wandering characters in the park. Lady Tremaine and the two step sisters were quite funny.

I once had a personal letter, to me, signed by Tom Clancy. I was a precocious middle schooler who needed to learn how authors did research, so I basically wrote and asked. And got answered! I do wonder where that is now...

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2391 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have a CD signed by a local Chicago area group that had one hit, but were great writers, composers, singers and musicians. I have a few gun related books signed by the authors. Basically I have to respect those people for what they do, and not feel like I'm bugging them for their autograph.

Posts: 1518 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I briefly served as security for Elie Wiesel. It was a privilege to talk with him. He signed a copy of "Night" for me.
Only autograph I own.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post