Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autographs Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dad was a stagehand and used to get me backstage for stuff when I was a kid. He explained that he was there to work and I was there as a lucky guest and that the performers were not to be bothered. There would be no autographs or pictures unless they were offered by the performer. I worked as a stagehand later and had to explain to the rules to a few new guys.

I've always liked Bill Russell's take and have had a few nice conversations with famous folks:

“In the middle of my playing career, I decided to stop signing autographs. In part, my feelings about autographs is based upon my belief that I’d rather meet someone who approaches me respectfully, talk to them for a minute and look them in the eye, rather than participate in the momentary ritual of signing something, never looking at the person I’m signing something for, never getting to know them, and then moving on.”

Posts: 4322 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
Count me in as another guy who couldn't care less about autographs these days. I didn't always feel that way but I find that as I get older it just becomes more crap to find a home for. I also think that as I've gotten older famous people just don't hold any mystique for me. They're just people, same as me, working their way through life. I cannot think of any autograph I would wait in line for or seek to obtain.

I do have some signed WWII aviation artwork that I purchased when I was in my mid 20's. At the time, I bought it thinking it would be a cool long term investment that I could enjoy throughout the years. Indeed, it may be worth something someday, but probably not in my lifetime. One of my favorite pieces is a beautiful representation of (4) P-40's flying low across a river in China. It is signed by 16 members of the original Flying Tigers. It is hanging in my house and I truly appreciate the artwork and what it represents. I'm glad I have it but I don't see myself buying anything else like that in the future.

I have several Robert Taylor, James Dietz and a Trudjian or 2 prints hanging in my house,

my favorite is Taylor's Balloon Buster, signed by H. Botterel, the WWI Pilot,

I also have a framed copy of the art for Chandler's Death from Afar 1st book, signed by Carlos Hathcock,
as well as several of Norman and Rocky Chandler's books that are autographed (most personalized to me)

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I really don't recognize "famous" people. I've been places and people will say, "Hey, there's so-and-so." I'll look and think, "How did you even recognize them?"

I don't know why that is; I remember people's faces and names in regular life.

My wife jokes that I could share an elevator with the Queen of England and not recognize her.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Don't care about autographs, or celebrities in general.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10532 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Autographs are like any other collectible - the allure is in the eye of the collector.

I can see autographs as being something that was touched or done by someone the person respects or admires - like a signed letter from Abraham Lincoln or something along those lines. Some people worship celebrities and having a part of them is the allure.

I don't really get it, but I don't get a lot of other things that people collect either - cars, watches, crystal glasses, signs, etc. I'm sure most people wouldn't understand someone collecting guns either. To each his own.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I had a mickey mantle signed ball. I got the ball from a Cleveland Indians vs Yankees game in the early 80s. A few years later I had Mickey sign it. It was one of my most prized possessions as a kid. However I didn't treat it as such and it was signed with a blue ball point pen. The ink fadded over time till it was almost nonexsistent.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm with JALLEN as well.

Have autographs from folks that I spoke to for some time, then at the close of the meeting asked them to sign a program, or photo, etc.

Gen Schwartzkoff and Chuck Yeager, who I met in Reno at an SCI Convention. My FIL once bought Yeager a beer at the Officers club, somewhere in England during WW2. Later on they were friends as they kept acft at the same little FBO in No Cal, near the Nut Tree. So had something in common.

Elmer Keith's signature on a few letters from the late 1970's. And on a few of his books he signed for me when I visited him at his home in Salmon, ID.

Sean Connery's autograph along with the rest of the main members of "The Untouchables".

Had a baseball signed by many of the 1962 season NY Yankees. Unfortunately all of the signatures faded away. Went out on the field after a game. The players would sign gloves, bats, balls, etc....for the kids. For FREE. Try THAT today!

Been around some Famous folks, but always felt asking for an autograph was an imposition.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I got quite a few actor and country singer autographs for my sister back in the 90's and early 2000's working part time event and movie security gigs. She hung all of them in her classrooom (jr. high teacher). Her students thought it was cool.

I could have cared less. I was there to get paid and enjoy the concert(s).

Posts: 1622 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Double tap. Posting from iPhone.

Posts: 1622 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Never cared, never will. I have some memories but don't care about autographs or memorabilia, especially of celebrities, sports, entertainment or otherwise. I may enjoy performances but generally regard the people in disdain.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13088 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950's, my father took me to the Indy 500 a few times and I got autographs of my favorite drivers of the time. Shortly after I got the autographs, every one that gave me their autograph died in a racing accident. Things were much more dangerous back them. I lost interest in getting autographs. Today I feel silly asking for an autograph and won’t do it. Not even a quick selfie.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the most part autographs mean nothing to me and I love the scam Disney pulls with the books they sell for the characters to sign...That said, I have 4 autographed items that mean something to me:

1) Tony Robbins - I have done several of his courses and have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He signed a page from my notebook which is now on my office wall.

2) Mac MacAnally - When Margaritaville opened in AZ one fo my friends bands hired me to shoot them playing the grand opening. They went on after Buffett and Mac. Buffett promptly high tailed it out of there but while I was backstage puttign some gear together I looked to my right and mac was just hanging around listening to the local band. We had a beer and chatted before I got busy. He signed my pass.

3) Dr. Wayne Dyer - My ex wife and I were huge fans of his work and one day while driving in Palm Beach we noticed the car in front of us had a tag that read "Eykis" (one of his books). We pulled along side and it was him so i wrote "Hi Dr Dyer" on a piece of paper and held it up...at the next light he rolled down the window and handed us a signed copy of his book.

4) Frank Abignale - He was a spokesperson for a client and we shot video of him. I had a copy of Catch Me If You Can" as a prop behind him and asked him to sign it at the wrap. He was a great guy and terrifyingly smart

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I met Thomas Mangelsen once at his Images Gallery in Park City a few years back. I had already bought a few of his nature photographs and decided to buy another one while I was talking to him. He offered to sign it, and I gladly accepted.

I like autographs of artists or authors on their works. Other than that, I agree; I couldn't care less.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony Robbins - I have done several of his courses and have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He signed a page from my notebook which is now on my office wall.

Sat next to him on a flight to Palm Springs years ago. Biggest jack ass I ever met.

Ran into the entire Minnesota North Star hockey team in the airport one day. I was a huge fan then. Pulled out a legal pad and got every single ones autograph and a picture with most of them. They were very accomodating and just a bunch of rabble rouser kids at the time but then so was I.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Tony Robbins - I have done several of his courses and have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He signed a page from my notebook which is now on my office wall.

Sat next to him on a flight to Palm Springs years ago. Biggest jack ass I ever met.

Ran into the entire Minnesota North Star hockey team in the airport one day. I was a huge fan then. Pulled out a legal pad and got every single ones autograph and a picture with most of them. They were very accomodating and just a bunch of rabble rouser kids at the time but then so was I.

You would be a jackass too if you werre used to flying private and had to go commercial Smile

Kidding aside, I found him him to be gracious and kind but everyone is entitltled to a shitty day.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Count me in as another guy who couldn't care less about autographs these days. I didn't always feel that way but I find that as I get older it just becomes more crap to find a home for. I also think that as I've gotten older famous people just don't hold any mystique for me. They're just people, same as me, working their way through life. I cannot think of any autograph I would wait in line for or seek to obtain.

I do have some signed WWII aviation artwork that I purchased when I was in my mid 20's. At the time, I bought it thinking it would be a cool long term investment that I could enjoy throughout the years. Indeed, it may be worth something someday, but probably not in my lifetime. One of my favorite pieces is a beautiful representation of (4) P-40's flying low across a river in China. It is signed by 16 members of the original Flying Tigers. It is hanging in my house and I truly appreciate the artwork and what it represents. I'm glad I have it but I don't see myself buying anything else like that in the future.

I went to an airshow many years ago and I bought a pen and ink of Pappy Boyington's Corsair "Lulubelle".
I shook the hands and got the signatures (on the drawing) of the four surviving Black Sheep of VMF214 who were there.

I also had my copy of Steven Ambrose's "The Wild Blue" signed by George McGovern the year before he died.

They're probably not worth much and not of much interest to most people but I'm glad I made the effort.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Dad was a stagehand and used to get me backstage for stuff when I was a kid. He explained that he was there to work and I was there as a lucky guest and that the performers were not to be bothered. There would be no autographs or pictures unless they were offered by the performer. I worked as a stagehand later and had to explain to the rules to a few new guys.

Absolutely. I appeared on stage with Houston Grand Opera as a supernumerary (an operatic extra - we were always soldiers or servants) for a number of years, and there is no way I would have asked a singer for an autograph under those circumstances. We were all there to work and put on the show.

The autographs I have came from an occasion where asking was appropriate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
I fall somewhere in the middle on this. If it is an autograph of someone I got to know and respect, that's great. I have two books signed by authors that I knew personally and I cherish both of them. I also have a few autographs from actors and athletes that hold a special memory for one reason or another and they are a memento of that memory. However, I won't go out of my way to get the autograph of someone just because they are famous. I've only stood in a significant line for one autograph, and it just as much because my wife wanted it as for me. That was Norman Reedus at a Walker Stalker Convention a couple of years ago. He plays my favorite character on my favorite TV show so I was willing to stand in a pretty long line to get a chance to meet him and get an autograph to remember it with. Most of the others I have were either gifts or were received in a way that didn't take nearly as much effort as that one.

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

I have several Robert Taylor, James Dietz and a Trudjian or 2 prints hanging in my house,

my favorite is Taylor's Balloon Buster, signed by H. Botterel, the WWI Pilot,

I also have a framed copy of the art for Chandler's Death from Afar 1st book, signed by Carlos Hathcock,
as well as several of Norman and Rocky Chandler's books that are autographed (most personalized to me)

I am very fond of Dietz, although I don't have any of his prints. I do have a book of his artwork that I have poured through many times. Taylor is good as well. I am familiar with "Balloon Buster" and have to say that I think that is a nice choice.
The P-40 print that own is "Summer of '42" by John Shaw.

I also must say that the artwork signed by Carlos Hathcock would be pretty neat to have.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm not a collector, but I do like getting musicians' autographs. I have a few cool ones.

Nowadays I'd rather have selfies with them.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post