Find
Notify
Tools

Autographs Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Am I the only person that doesn't care about other people's autographs? The only time I could see myself caring is if it were worth a lot of money. Otherwise I couldn't care less. I have met famous people before and thought the experience was cool but never thought to myself I need their scribble on something. I just don't care to have it. When I was young Ronald Reagan came to my school and you had the option (after he left) of getting in line and getting a pre-autographed picture and even then I didn't care enough to get in line. People that go to conventions and pay people to sign their shit just boggles my mind. What got me thinking about this is that at the NRA show there was a line to meet Gunny at the Glock booth. while I think talking to him for a few min would be great, having him sign something would mean nothing to me. At the same show I talked to Les Baer for a few minutes and he's a nice guy. I like his guns. His handlers basically made me get this picture of him signed which I promptly through away. In my eyes it's just extra crap to carry. Am I the only one?

I'm also not a Swag guy. At blade show this weekend people kept tying to give me t-shirts, patches, etc... and they would look at me like I had 3 heads when I said no thanks. Why the hell am I going to carry 5 shirts I'm never going to wear.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Me, too.

Unless its on a check.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I had one autograph, that of Mohammed Ali, that I got back around 1970. Don't know what happened to it; don't really care.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5312 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think autographs are kind of cool. I am not a rabid collector, but I have had some musicians sign CDs for me, and it adds to a memory of meeting that musician. It is just a pleasant memento.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I agree. They just don't mean anything to me.

I have a couple of Heisman Trophy winner autographed shirts. One of them ended up in my car to wipe up spills and it's still there.

I'm with JAllen, autograph me a check. Big Grin

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my early days at Duke Hospital, before I became ensconced in the OR, I encountered my fair share of celebs/athletes/famous humans who came in for mostly simple proceedures. Coach K, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, Perry Como, Charles Barkley and Norman Schwarzkopf come to mind, although there were many others.
But the only autograph I ever obtained was from Willie Stargell, who was my boyhood baseball hero. I was stunned to see him sitting in the waiting room, and there was no doubt it was him. He seemed a little glad that someone recognized him (he was far from Pittsburgh and 10 years into retirement at the time). I X-rayed him on two separate occasions in a week's time, and after the second one, just felt like I had to have the signature. It was on a piece of Duke stationary. I wound up sending it to my brother and I have no idea if it still is in his possession.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few from my early teens and collecting baseball memorabilia. After my then then 3 year old brother used my Alex Rodriquez/Ken Griffey Jr. signed baseball to go play in the yard I lost interest.

On a continuation of that I don't understand having your picture taken with the people doing the autograph either.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I think they're neat on something that you're going to keep anyway. A memento of the meeting, if you will.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Put me in JALLEN's camp!

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I only have autographs from very cool people I have met along the way, that will be important to me.

Dave Gilmour, I worked with him on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

Dimebag Darrell's autograph hangs above my guitar stand.

Micheal Schumacher signed his helmet and gave it to me, after the first USGP at Indy. It was his qualifying helmet.

Saxon, the whole band, as they remain friends, and Raingirl and I go backstage every time they come to town. I have it hanging by my work computer to remind me there are better things in life.

Milla Jovovich, because she was damn nice and fun to look at.

Several rock stars that order my coffee, I ask for a pic of them holding my coffee and autographed, but that is more an endorsement.

I don't seek out autographs, not a collector of them, but more happen into a situation that makes it a memento of the meeting.

I mean, how often do you have dinner with Katherine Zeta Jones?

I don't flaunt them and really the only people that even see them, are people that spend the night at my house.

Posts: 5059 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not a seeker however my short list of cool things that could be autographed:

Zora Duntov on a Corvette
Carroll Shelby on an AC Cobra
Burt Reynolds on a black T/A
Stevie Ray Vaughn on a Les Paul Guitar
Micky Mantle on a vintage bat
Rocky Marciano on a set of boxing gloves

Posts: 24238 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Count me in as another guy who couldn't care less about autographs these days. I didn't always feel that way but I find that as I get older it just becomes more crap to find a home for. I also think that as I've gotten older famous people just don't hold any mystique for me. They're just people, same as me, working their way through life. I cannot think of any autograph I would wait in line for or seek to obtain.

I do have some signed WWII aviation artwork that I purchased when I was in my mid 20's. At the time, I bought it thinking it would be a cool long term investment that I could enjoy throughout the years. Indeed, it may be worth something someday, but probably not in my lifetime. One of my favorite pieces is a beautiful representation of (4) P-40's flying low across a river in China. It is signed by 16 members of the original Flying Tigers. It is hanging in my house and I truly appreciate the artwork and what it represents. I'm glad I have it but I don't see myself buying anything else like that in the future.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Don't have to many, wife got me a poster that has all the autographs of Naval Aviators that went to the moon (including Neil Armstrong) that was a fund raiser for the Naval Air Museum. Chuck Yeagers on a print of him flying the F20, and my most prized Bob Hoover, with a picture of him rolling the Shrike.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan either but our friend is big into that stuff and got the wife and I autographed "Jaws" pics from Rob Scheider (before he passed) and Richard Dreyfuss. We put them up in our TV room and get comments on them. Other than that, not a single autograph in the house.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
...One of my favorite pieces is a beautiful representation of (4) P-40's flying low across a river in China. It is signed by 16 members of the original Flying Tigers...

I would definitely covet that! Very cool, Browndrake! I have a copy of "Baa Baa Black Sheep", autographed by Boyington, and "No Second Place Winner" autographed by Bill Jordan, but I don't seek them out and am not impressed by most of them.

I used to live near a college that retired VP Hubert Humphrey taught at, and ran into him frequently enough that we would trade small talk. Another friend asked me to attend a convention in Minneapolis, and I went with a girl from my college, a couple years younger than me. She was quite literally struck dumb when I introduced her to Humphrey, he tried unsuccessfully to strike up a conversation, then took the plastic straw hat off her head and autographed it for her. She came out of her trance several minutes after Humphrey and I finished talking and he had left.

I never thought of asking for his autograph myself.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
In the early 70's while working part time at the Omni in Atlanta, I got an autograph from Henry John Deutschendorf and also from Charley McCoy.

Mostly was just a reminder of getting to meet them.

I don't know where the autographs are today.

P.S. Henry John Deutschendorf was better known as John Denver.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
Micheal Schumacher signed his helmet and gave it to me, after the first USGP at Indy. It was his qualifying helmet.

How did you manage to score that ?!?!?

My dad has a rod from one of Schumacher's Ferraris, as a paperweight on his desk, but it was acquired through a friend of his.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I collect books, and many of them are signed and numbered editions...autographs in that very limited sense make sense to me and I enjoy having them. Beyond that, though (and I don't pretend to understand the distinction, but there it is), I don't really get the appeal, either.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

Now THAT is something that I would love to have, and be proud of.....especially now.

Posts: 6712 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I had Billy Cox autograph a Jimmy Hendrix T shirt at the Hendrix Experience show, since Billy Cox is the last Gypsy standing I keep it in my office.

It is the only Autograph I have ever had or probably will have.

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post