SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are gas caps on cars obsolete?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are gas caps on cars obsolete? Login/Join 
posted
Three times in the last week I've seen people open the fuel doors and insert the nozzle.

No cap involved,
Is this the new " thing" ?

Capless geas filling .

I got no memo.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've had 4 now with no gas cap, all Fords.
2013 Ford Flex
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford Expedition
2020 Ford Explorer

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They still have a sealed cap. It's just part of the door, or in some cases an air trap as part of the filler tube.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's a completely different tank filler neck assembly compared to the screw in gas cap. Also different gas door assembly.

It's a convenience (e.g. no chance of losing cap) but it adds cost to new vehicles compared to the old fashioned screw in cap. I haven't lost a screw in cap yet in 35 years of driving.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much more it will cost to repair a OBD2 P0457 code (loose gas cap) emissions leak.

Or is this an attempt to solve it?

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 316 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been driving a 2016 Explorer (police interceptor) with capless gas port for past 6 years. Never had an evap code. Dodge Charger with cap that I drove before threw codes regularly.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2014 corvette is capless!!

Posts: 2216 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My 2018 Ram Eco diesel is capless on the fuel tank.
The DEF tank has a cap.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are gas caps on cars obsolete?

They do seem to be at least on their way out, along with ignition keys you insert and turn, crank windows, stick shifts, and others.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Our 2024 Mazda CX5 we purchased back in December has a gas cap.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Be careful if you ever have to put fuel in one of those with a gas can. If the spout is one of those metal flexible jobs, you can get it hung in the door of the filler spout.
Ask me how I know.
Had to fabricate a tool to get it out.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Are gas caps on cars obsolete?

They do seem to be at least on their way out, along with ignition keys you insert and turn, crank windows, stick shifts, and others.
Find a millenial who knows how to crank a car window, and drive a stick, maybe one in a million! Add in make a call with a rotary dial pay phone and the odds go up by 10^3.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifes Lincoln CORSAIR and Cadillac were capless.No issues with either.
The thing I miss a lot is mechanical shifter on automatics.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it on rentals all the time. Funny, I thought it was something specific to rentals so customers didn’t lose the gas cap. Didn’t realize it’s actually a thing. Our newest vehicle is a 2019 Sorento and it has a gas cap.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2022 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. No cap, just a flap.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
EVs don’t need gas caps.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
My Acura has the new system.
I like it.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
My Acura has the new system.
I like it.

Same, except Honda Ridgeline. One less thing to mess with. Honda’s application is fine because the fuel door is locked and requires the button on the inside to open it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12641 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Same, except Honda Ridgeline. One less thing to mess with. Honda’s application is fine because the fuel door is locked and requires the button on the inside to open it.
Don’t really care for the button on the inside to unlock. The ‘02 Sequoia the the daughter drives has a lever inside that you have to pull to release the door. Mrs slosig’s gas door locks when the car locks and unlocks when the car is unlocked or the driver’s door is opened. Very similar effect, but one less thing for the operator to fool with. Of course they both have gas caps, so there is that…

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
And when the 19 cent flapper spring breaks, they tell you the only way to replace it is with a new tank. $650 in parts and $247k in labor. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post