SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter & Archery - Standings from Nationals finally finalized
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter & Archery - Standings from Nationals finally finalized Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So the last 3 regions shot this weekend and completed the Junior Olympic and US Indoor Nationals. Extremely proud of our daughter to say the least. Two girls tied just above her in the Junior Olympic Nationals and knocked her out of the medals from 3rd to 5th place. For US Indoor Nationals she's ranked in 8th.

I'm more impressed by her attitude than anything else. She's not disappointed in her finish and not being on the podium. Her attitude is outdoor season is starting and she needs to focus on the Arizona Cup and AZ State JOAD Outdoor Championships. The Arizona Cup is huge, it will be her first truly international tournament. She's also going to have to shoot up 2 age divisions to compete there.

I'm extremely proud of her, more for her discipline and attitude than finish. A top 5 and a top 10 finish are amazing in and of themselves. But it's her attitude about it, she's taken control and responsibility for her performance. My job has been strictly limited to getting her to the tournament on time. Her coach is also incredibly proud of her. Over the course of 3 days of competition, her per arrow average only dropped .05 points.

Thanks to everyone here for their cheering and good wishes along the way.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Excellent work, Maya!

Any chance that she'll get to shoot at the end of one of these tournaments? There can definitely be a psychological advantage to knowing exactly what you have to do to win.

I'd be frustrated as hell to always have be going first.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Good for her. She has come a long way in a short time. What has it been 2-3 years since you first started her in archery?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Big stuff! Way to go!

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm hiding behind Maya.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. I know some "adults" who could take some attitude lessons from Maya.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Excellent work, Maya!

Any chance that she'll get to shoot at the end of one of these tournaments? There can definitely be a psychological advantage to knowing exactly what you have to do to win.

I'd be frustrated as hell to always have be going first.

-Rob

The dates that one shoots are dependent on which venue is selected. There are 14 different venues that shoot over 4 weekends. Nationals if kind of a double edged sword that way. By having multiple locations it does make it more widely available and eases travel costs. It also makes it manageable. There were over 4,500 archers that shot Nationals this year. Having multiple sites with a few hundred archers rather than 4,500 in one is much easier. The downside is an archer may not stand on the same line as their competition and then there's the wait and see on the bubble feeling.

We were fortunate this year living in Phoenix, we had multiple options of where we could go and have a reasonable drive and not have to fly; San Diego, Salt Lake and Albuquerque. San Diego was the shortest drive, probably the most organized venue in the country and well it's San Diego.

Not knowing what the final scores will be plays heavily into the mental game for Nationals. As coaches, we always teach an archer that they're shooting against themselves, focus on their process not what everyone else is doing, and to get in their 1 meter x 1 meter bubble on the shooting line and focus only what's inside that bubble. That's the theory, reality is there's a of lot of outside distractions.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good work!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Inspirational and uplifting.

We are all proud for you.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the crowd here is happy and proud for her!

Hmm.. maybe she needs a SigForum sponsor patch...

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
She's also going to have to shoot up 2 age divisions to compete there.

Hope you don't mind me asking.... what's causing her to move up 2 age divisions? Is that good or bad?

I enjoyed the pictures you shared. Tell her WELL DONE.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Congrats Maya way to work.
Dad permission to exhale granted.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
She's also going to have to shoot up 2 age divisions to compete there.

Hope you don't mind me asking.... what's causing her to move up 2 age divisions? Is that good or bad?

I enjoyed the pictures you shared. Tell her WELL DONE.

The Arizona Cup is a USAT (United States Archery Team) qualifier event. Since the minimum age for Olympic competition is 15, the Cadet age division of 15-16 years old is the lowest division one can register for. She's not old enough yet to qualify for the team, but she can shoot in the tournament. It's something that we're looking at more as gaining experience and building for the future.

The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Glad for you and your daughter. Please extend to her our compliments on her journey.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
The time, patience, and work ethic it takes to become an archer of that caliber are immense.
You should be proud!

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A bit late to chime in here but again congrats to Maya and the Miller family! Bravo Zulu (well done in "navy-speak")!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The Legend of Zelda Maya ! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post