SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Meaningful Quote To You Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Meaningful Quote To You Thread Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
JALLEN's thread got me reminiscing. Like many of you, I am sure, I hold a quote dear to my heart.
My quote is from a piece of paper my father carried in his wallet. I received the wallet when my father passed away when I was 10. The quote is from E.H. Land of Polaroid fame. My father started working for Polaroid in 1969 or so after the Army. He began by pushing brooms. He finished an engineer that they had put through school. He retired in 1983 for medical reasons and passed in 1984.

I still have the slip of paper and his wallet. I carry the quote every day.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am glad your father was able to be blessed by such a man as Mr. Land, the company's generosity and that he recognized it and passed that trait on to you.

You posting this and what I know of you in your posts, of those people you have called to mind to us, would make Mr. Land and your father very proud.

But I believe they already had that vision.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43927 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Theodore Roosevelt-It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
When the game is over, the king and the pawn both go into the same box.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may some times appear that good guys finish last. That is because they are running in a different race - my Grandfather (may not be original to him; doesn't matter).

It is very hard to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - my mentor (same).

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
- Frederick Douglass

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adobesig - Thank you for that.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
'Love many, trust few;
always paddle
your own canoe'

......my mom, 1957

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
When the game is over, the king and the pawn both go into the same box.

Nice1

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never, never never give up.

Winston Churchill

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Fortune Cookie once gave me this gem:

Your problems lie not in lack of ability but in lack of ambition.

And my Star Wars Hero, Yoda gave me that tag line at the bottom.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Shit happens...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
Fortune Cookie once gave me this gem:

Your problems lie not in lack of ability but in lack of ambition.

And my Star Wars Hero, Yoda gave me that tag line at the bottom.

Best one I ever got from a fortune cookie was "Confucious say: Crowded elevator smell different to midget"

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
"Sometimes you get the bear. And sometimes the bear gets you."

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2846 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"Forgiveness is the scent that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." S. L. Clemens

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
"Sometimes you get the bear. And sometimes the bear gets you."

Reminds me of

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Mine is a bit of a twist on an old one -

A company is known by the people it keeps.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2022 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
An old captain I worked for had a few gems:

"all other things remaining equal, fat people will use more soap"

"When stupidity ceases to be fatal, evolution stops"

"before you decide you want to play hardball, figure out who is holding the bat."

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2448 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:

"When stupidity ceases to be fatal, evolution stops"

That about sums up the state of the world today..