SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just broke a year of being nicotine free!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just broke a year of being nicotine free!!! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So a year and a day ago, was my first day free of cigarettes and pouches. Honestly, I don’t miss the cigs at all. The Grizzly Wintergreen Pouches, I still crave daily.

That said, I have made it a year. I’m pretty stoked and it’s a huge improvement on my health. Saved me a fair bit of $$$ too. I only spent about $400 a year on chew. My app only tracks cigs, but combined I have saved about $2800.

Happy to share this moment of happiness with you guys. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your one year anniversary and I wish you many more nicotine free years.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 2007 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I quit smoking 6 years ago and never looked back.

Posts: 2898 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I started in 1961 and quit for good in 1983.
Congratulations.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3810 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That'll buy a lot of frijoles and hopefully give you extra years to enjoy them.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23714 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I just hit 6 years free of a pack a day habit, which thankfully was only a midlife thing.

$10K saved, not to mention the health benefits.

Haven't had a pang of desire for one in at least 3-4 years either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Great achievement, Beans. I saw a sign on a local grocery store advertising Camels for only $7.21 a pack. What a bargain.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4280 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the milestone.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bean - congratulations Sir - Seriously should consider taking half the money you saved and buying you a new gun with the promise to yourself that you get to keep it as long as you continue on your current journey.....Mark

Posts: 3364 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Outstanding post Razz...good on you!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! And, of course there's now an app for that... Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Well done, Sir! I'm always glad to see such personal achievements.

Just be vigilant. Those cravings are a bitch. You can convince yourself of all kinds of flaky reasons why just one more dip would be OK. But alas, it is not!

Keep up the battle, my friend.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys. I am really proud to have achieved this.

I’d love to go buy something really nice to celebrate this accomplishment, but I look at how blessed I am to have the job I have, the home we have, family over for Christmas, and figure instead of a nice pistol I would like, I’ll get some really great food for Christmas dinner, a couple extra things for close family, and the rest of the savings I’ll donate to those in need. We have a pretty cool thing at the local high school called the hope chest (which is now a whole room). It gives kids the basics that they don’t have. When in need of food, clothes, or the most basic school supplies, help getting the water or electricity bill paid, etc. it provides them with the essentials so they can focus on their school work, when at school, and not worry about how they will find dinner.
While I would love a nickel 225, or a Browning HiPower, the $1000 I would spend on that, will be far better used this time of year helping someone who really needs it.

Yes, there’s an app for this, but it’s pretty great as a motivator when a craving comes along, to see what I saved, and how many days I have made it.

I will stay vigilant. I know, without question, that one is not okay. I have tried to quit enough times in the past to know that if I have one (dip or smoke) I’ll be right back on that train.

I’ve been a smoker for 28 of my 45 years. Started when I was 16. Getting older and moving from sea level to 3500 feet, I wouldn’t be able to survive. I’d be gasping for air all the time.

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Heart-felt congrats. You've now decreased your risk of heart disease by half.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Well done, friend! Smile It's a gift to yourself and those that care for you.

Posts: 45578 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Looking forward to your two years anniversary a year from now!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! And I like the idea of the Hope Chest. Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Congratulations!!! And I like the idea of the Hope Chest. Smile

https://www.verdenews.com/news...s-opens-hope-center/

quote:
The “lol” thread

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely great!

I don't know which is better -- your year of being tobacco free, or the hope chest.

They are both great.

Best to you, going forward.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your anniversary.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post