SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Infamous Shock Jock Don Imus Will Retire from His Radio Show in March
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Infamous Shock Jock Don Imus Will Retire from His Radio Show in March Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
One of the most controversial voices in radio is shutting off his mic.

Shock jock Don Imus announced this morning that he is retiring from his eponymous Imus in the Morning radio show. The “I-Man” will broadcast for the final time on March 29.

Imus indicated that he was not vacating his chair by choice. The 77-year-old said Cumulus Media, which syndicates Imus in the Morning, declined to renew his contract.

The move will also affect the show’s six-member staff, who the host paid out of his own multi-million dollar contract. He said he was announcing his retirement early to give them a chance to find work.

It’s unclear whether one of Imus’ cohorts will take over for him, though producer Bernard McGuirk and sportscaster Sid Rosenberg have taken on increased on-air roles in recent years. Imus broadcasts the show from his Texas ranch, while the rest of his crew works from WABC in New York.

Imus began his radio career in California before coming to New York City in 1971. His first Big Apple job was at WNBC, where he often tangled with fellow station personality Howard Stern.

After WNBC was sold in 1988, Imus moved to sports station WFAN, where he remained for almost 20 years—his show was also simulcasted on MSNBC.

Imus’ time at WFAN came to an end in 2007, when he was fired after jokingly referring to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hoes.”

This wasn’t Imus’ first controversial comment: he infamously called journalist Gwen Ifill a “cleaning lady,” and many women over the years have accused Imus of fat shaming them.

But the Rutgers remark was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Guests and advertisers bolted, and it looked like Imus’ career had met an ignominious end.

Imus was back on the air, however, less than eight months after his firing. The new version of the Imus in the Morning program on WABC was also simulcasted on the Fox Business network until 2015.

Even after his suspension, Imus continued to attract politicians like John Kerry, Rudy Giuliani and John McCain to his show. President Donald Trump (who Imus often calls “Blubber Titties”) even appeared on the program during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Outside of his radio work, Imus is a Marine Corps veteran, cancer survivor and recovering alcoholic. For 15 years, he and his wife Deirdre also owned a cattle ranch where they ran free camps for children with cancer.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In the midst of all this stife and woe, some good news!

One of the few good things about living in Whackyland was that this miserable prick’s show on Fox Business came on at 4:30 in the morning, guaranteeing that I would not see it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
He was funny as late as the 1980's. I still have my John the Baptist Shower Curtain...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I haven't listened to his 'show' in more than 20 years

won't miss it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Didn't even know he still had a show. Used to listen to him on the way to work back in the day.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what hs voice sounds like. Never listened to one single second of his program, wouldn't even know where to find it.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I stopped listening to him 10 years ago. Used to be a big fan but his act got tired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5915 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He was one nappy headed ho...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I was a horrible show of creepy dry drunks who were not funny and wouldn't shut up.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I thought he died.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I could have sworn you posted his obituary/sigforum death notice last year?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Meh. I never really cared for him, anyway.
Or Howard Stern.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16539 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Never heard him not once and never heard of him till that snied remark about the Rutgers team.

My BIL was a Marine and i'm sure he would not have wanted to be associated with him.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Never liked him. Tried back when he was just radio and couldn't stand him then. Haven't thought about him in years. Nice to hear he's leaving though.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I thought he was dead.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Never liked Imus, but I am a big Stern fan.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Never liked Imus, but I am a big Stern fan.

Same here.

And I though Imus was dead or retired years ago.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Did not realize he was back on the air, Stern fan anyway.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
When there was some sort of rivalry between him and Stern, I tuned in. It was banal and childish and actually made me like Stern. At least in comparison.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Did not realize he was back on the air, Stern fan anyway.

Listening to Stern today, Howard actually was sad about his retirement.

He compared it to Batman not having his Riddler. Smile

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post