SIGforum
Infamous Shock Jock Don Imus Will Retire from His Radio Show in March

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2610006634

January 22, 2018, 12:10 PM
JALLEN
Infamous Shock Jock Don Imus Will Retire from His Radio Show in March
One of the most controversial voices in radio is shutting off his mic.

Shock jock Don Imus announced this morning that he is retiring from his eponymous Imus in the Morning radio show. The “I-Man” will broadcast for the final time on March 29.

Imus indicated that he was not vacating his chair by choice. The 77-year-old said Cumulus Media, which syndicates Imus in the Morning, declined to renew his contract.

The move will also affect the show’s six-member staff, who the host paid out of his own multi-million dollar contract. He said he was announcing his retirement early to give them a chance to find work.

It’s unclear whether one of Imus’ cohorts will take over for him, though producer Bernard McGuirk and sportscaster Sid Rosenberg have taken on increased on-air roles in recent years. Imus broadcasts the show from his Texas ranch, while the rest of his crew works from WABC in New York.

Imus began his radio career in California before coming to New York City in 1971. His first Big Apple job was at WNBC, where he often tangled with fellow station personality Howard Stern.

After WNBC was sold in 1988, Imus moved to sports station WFAN, where he remained for almost 20 years—his show was also simulcasted on MSNBC.

Imus’ time at WFAN came to an end in 2007, when he was fired after jokingly referring to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hoes.”

This wasn’t Imus’ first controversial comment: he infamously called journalist Gwen Ifill a “cleaning lady,” and many women over the years have accused Imus of fat shaming them.

But the Rutgers remark was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Guests and advertisers bolted, and it looked like Imus’ career had met an ignominious end.

Imus was back on the air, however, less than eight months after his firing. The new version of the Imus in the Morning program on WABC was also simulcasted on the Fox Business network until 2015.

Even after his suspension, Imus continued to attract politicians like John Kerry, Rudy Giuliani and John McCain to his show. President Donald Trump (who Imus often calls “Blubber Titties”) even appeared on the program during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Outside of his radio work, Imus is a Marine Corps veteran, cancer survivor and recovering alcoholic. For 15 years, he and his wife Deirdre also owned a cattle ranch where they ran free camps for children with cancer.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown
January 22, 2018, 12:14 PM
JALLEN
In the midst of all this stife and woe, some good news!

One of the few good things about living in Whackyland was that this miserable prick’s show on Fox Business came on at 4:30 in the morning, guaranteeing that I would not see it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown
January 22, 2018, 12:30 PM
kz1000
He was funny as late as the 1980's. I still have my John the Baptist Shower Curtain...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
January 22, 2018, 01:27 PM
nhtagmember
I haven't listened to his 'show' in more than 20 years

won't miss it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

January 22, 2018, 01:39 PM
PHPaul
Didn't even know he still had a show. Used to listen to him on the way to work back in the day.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
January 22, 2018, 02:02 PM
parabellum
I don't even know what hs voice sounds like. Never listened to one single second of his program, wouldn't even know where to find it.
January 22, 2018, 02:09 PM
dave7378
I stopped listening to him 10 years ago. Used to be a big fan but his act got tired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 22, 2018, 02:14 PM
darthfuster
He was one nappy headed ho...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
January 22, 2018, 03:44 PM
adobesig
I was a horrible show of creepy dry drunks who were not funny and wouldn't shut up.
January 22, 2018, 03:53 PM
trapper189
I thought he died.
January 22, 2018, 03:58 PM
RAMIUS
I could have sworn you posted his obituary/sigforum death notice last year?
January 22, 2018, 04:16 PM
WaterburyBob
Meh. I never really cared for him, anyway.
Or Howard Stern.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
January 22, 2018, 05:36 PM
SIG 229R
Never heard him not once and never heard of him till that snied remark about the Rutgers team.

My BIL was a Marine and i'm sure he would not have wanted to be associated with him.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"
January 22, 2018, 06:12 PM
thunderson
Never liked him. Tried back when he was just radio and couldn't stand him then. Haven't thought about him in years. Nice to hear he's leaving though.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
January 22, 2018, 06:46 PM
Micropterus
I thought he was dead.

January 22, 2018, 06:55 PM
SSgt USMC/Vet
Never liked Imus, but I am a big Stern fan.
January 22, 2018, 11:25 PM
Copefree
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Never liked Imus, but I am a big Stern fan.

Same here.

And I though Imus was dead or retired years ago.

January 23, 2018, 03:02 AM
blueye
Did not realize he was back on the air, Stern fan anyway.
January 23, 2018, 05:13 AM
mark123
When there was some sort of rivalry between him and Stern, I tuned in. It was banal and childish and actually made me like Stern. At least in comparison.
January 23, 2018, 07:25 AM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Did not realize he was back on the air, Stern fan anyway.

Listening to Stern today, Howard actually was sad about his retirement.

He compared it to Batman not having his Riddler. Smile