SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does cancer run in your family?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does cancer run in your family? Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers and condolences.

Both parents have Cancer, two brothers, one with stage 4 Cancer, one just had surgery for bladder Cancer and one Sister has been through breast cancer

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My wife's family has cancer running through the women.

We had a friend of the family whose family was instrumental in isolating the breast cancer gene.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is a horrible disease, and shows no mercy if given the chance.

To answer your question, No. But, my sister had colon cancer 7 years ago, while in her mid 40's. Big surprise. My people usually kick it by heart attacks.

She was a trooper and kicked its ass. Very proud of her, as she found out the hard way. Luckily she was visiting me for Christmas and new years when the tumor ruptured. If she had of been anywhere else, I am sure she would have died. God brought her to me to make sure she made it through her journey. The two of us are the only close family we have, so we watch out for each other the best we can.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1141 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Heart-felt condolences, thoughts, and prayers for you and your family Q.

No real obvious history of cancer in my family on my dad's or mom's side that I know of and all my grandparents lived to be 90 or very close to it thank God although treatable instances of blood clots do seem to run on my father's side of the family (including my dad and my grandfather) and I have had an experience with them myself as well. There was very good longevity and mostly lack of major illnesses for my great grandparents with most living into their 90s and one great grandfather which I had the privilege to know as a child made it to 100. I actually got to know three of my great grandparents. My uncle (dad's older brother) got very sick when he served in Korea and from then on seemed to have an ongoing issue with his liver and passed away from liver failure in his 50s. A very nice guy and was glad to have gotten to know him as well into my late teens.

On my wife's side, she had an uncle that died from cancer (attributed to his exposure to agent orange in Vietnam) but many years later in his 50s. One of his daughters (of five children) was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and is currently getting treatment and she is in her early 40s. None other than those and generally fairly good longevity on her side as well although maybe not quite as good as on mine.

It would seem most serious illnesses or even other less serious conditions are some combination of genetics and environmental exposures along with some lifestyle choices. I pray to be blessed with God's grace to be able to experience the longevity that seems to be prevalent in my family. I'm currently 47.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, especially from a repeat killer. That would be hard to deal with.

No, either poor judgement or heart disease seem to be the common symptoms for earlier deaths in my family.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5762 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Q
My condolences. Prayers for your sister,
and for you and your family.

Three aunts breast cancer- have passed.
My Mom had breast cancer.
Wife stage 4 breast cancer undergoing
treatment.

Cancer sucks.

Posts: 1663 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

Yes it runs in my Family.
My Dad's mom bone cancer.
Lost my Dad at age 47 to Cancer of the Bile.
Me Lung Cancer 2010 and now again.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post