SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does cancer run in your family?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does cancer run in your family? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the loss of your sister, Q.

I’m the only one in my family who has only had various skin cancers. Mom died from cancer, dad had prostate and colon cancer, sis had breast cancer. Dad and sis both had melanomas removed, I’ve had basal cell and squamous cell skin cancer.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Condolences on your loss Q.

The women in the last few generations of my immediate family have all been scattered Dx with no clear prevalence; most did well until mid 80s. One aunt survived the late 1950s serial surgical excesses until she had literally no internal organs left they could snip. She was a heavy smoker thru all of it until around age 65. Her husband & oldest son died of alcohol related issues.

The gentlemen of my clan either die younger due to accident/alcohol/smoking related; if they make it to 75 most eat bacon for the next 10 or 15 years and die of 'old age'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My sympathies. Cancer is awful.

Oddly enough I was just having the same conversation with my Sister a few hours ago. Her son has cancer and just started treatment.

I asked her a few hours ago if cancer ran in her husbands side, our side does not seem to have a history of cancer. She said only 1 person in memory on her husbands side had cancer.

Please accept my sympathies to your loss.

May God Bless you and family.

I was born on my Sisters 10th birthday and we have our shared birthday coming up on Sunday. We are hoping we have many more to come.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss, Q.

My father, myself and a sibling have all had cancer.

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Condolences, my grandpa, aunt and uncle have died of cancer. The hardest thing I’ve ever seen is a friend from church slowly die from it. She was in her 40’s and has 8 kids. The last time I saw her she was literally skin and bones, it took all I had in me to keep from breaking down the last time I saw her. I knew and she knew the inevitable was coming. My condolences to you sir.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my condolences Q

yes, it runs in my family as well

Leukemia, brain cancer, bone cancer and lung cancer

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of your sister.

My Dad is starting treatment for aggressive prostate cancer, he’s also had stage 4 oral cancer (never smoked or chewed tobacco). My Grandfather also had prostate cancer. Mom and Grandmother both had breast cancer, Mom beat it. Uncle and aunt both lost battles with esophageal cancer.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the loss of your sister. My condolences.

My paternal grandfather and father both died of prostate cancer before the age of 70. I suspect my paternal great grandfather probably died of it as well, but not sure. My brother got prostate cancer in his sixties. He beat it but at great cost with heavy chemo and radiation treatments that left him with a colostomy due to radiation treatment.

I have been aware of the family history for many years. For over 25 years I have done all the reading I can on the subject. Based upon my reading and research, I have eaten almost no red meat for 25 years. Based on my reading I take lycopene and beta sitisterol as well several other supplements. My research indicates that regular moderate exercise is also important. So far, no prostate cancer. I get tested regularly. My last PSA was 1.1 which isn't bad for a 70 year old. I could be wrong, but I would like to think that my efforts at combating the disease have been the reason that I have not developed the disease so far.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Runs pretty strong on my mother's side. She and my grandfather died pretty young from upper GI cancers.

I survived oral cancer 25 years ago. I take screening seriously.

Posts: 833 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, my mother, father and grandmother all died of cancer. My dad was 87 but my mother was only 59. So yeah, it does run in the family. My sister (76) and myself (73) have been cancer free....knock on wood.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss Q. Cancer indeed runs in my family. It took my mother, 2 aunts, and an uncle. Unfortunately, no one made it out of their 60's. Seems when it hits, its hard, fast and deadly. Praying for you and your family.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. My younger brother died at age 5 from leukemia. He would be 65 today.
My older brother has had squamous cell twice. He is 75.
In my late wife's family, she, her father, and his father were cancer patients. Her father and grandfather lived into their 80's. My wife died at age 55.
My condolences to all who have lost loved ones and to those who are fighting it now.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will pray for you and your family Q. Cancer is a tough one. Fighting colon cancer right now. Dad had prostate, sister had breast cancer.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry indeed for your loss, Q. Losing loved ones is about the most painful experiences around. Remember the great times you had together; that'll be her true legacy for you.

As for myself and The Big C, fortunately it's a qualified no; it is not a prevalent trait in my family. My maternal grandfather died relatively young from lung cancer but he was a VERY HEAVY smoker. It's hard not remembering him without a cig in his hand. Mom went through a mild form of breast cancer in her mid 80s and has been cancer-free since, so both of those combined might be an indicator for myself and my siblings, but that's it. On Dad's side of the family the health problems have been on the cardiac side of things. Heart-related issues has been a common theme through the generations, including with myself.

-MG

Posts: 2006 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss, Q. I'll pray for peace & comfort for your family.

Cancer does not run in my family, however it does run in my wife's family.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. And I've had 3 unrelated cancers.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Q, peace and comfort to you. Eternal rest rest o Lord.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about your sister, 73 is too young. I don't think it does, only my mother lost her life to it, a great grandmother was a survivor of breast cancer, died at 93 of old age.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss Q.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
One of my uncles (Mom's brother) died of colon cancer quite a while back now. Nobody in the family really seemed to consider it to be anything except a fluke. Then I was diagnosed with the same cancer in 2005. In my case I was lucky and they caught it early enough to be able to deal with it, my uncle had no symptoms at all until it was too late to do anything, and 6 months later he was gone. Since my run-in with it, everybody has been getting colonoscopies.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post