SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does cancer run in your family?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does cancer run in your family? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Latest count is 8 here.

2 lung (aunt and oldest sister, both gone)
2 breast (nieces)
2 liver (another aunt, gone, and a first cousin)
1 bile duct (another first cousin, gone)
1 prostate (another first cousin)

Lost my dear oldest sister yesterday. She was only 73. Frown

Q

Posts: 27628 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for your loss, Q

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Condolences Q.

I'm the only one so afflicted that I know of... rare form of Leukemia

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry for your loss, Q.

We have breast cancer on both sides of the family (mom’s mom died of it, dad’s sister survived it) and we lost my grandpa on my dad’s side to lung cancer.

Posts: 3538 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss Q.

Granddad. Throat cancer. Gone 35 years ago. Probably due to the bottle of whiskey a day and four to five packs of vicks menthol-eucalyptus cough drops, that he ate like skittles.

My dad has has some basil cell skin cancers, easily removed. Most likely due to lots of sunshine.

I’m high risk for testicular and prostate cancers from steroid usage when I was younger.

Surprisingly, that’s it.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4366 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss Q.

Mom and her sister (my aunt) both died of lung cancer. Maternal grandfather had cancer when he died (not certain whether the cancer, the diabetes, the congestive heart failure, or combination got him).

My Dad has been in remission from prostate cancer for about 15 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

My grandmother on my mothers side passed from pancreatic cancer. Might have lost my grandfather on my mother side from lung cancer cause he was a heavy smoker, but not sure.

Lost my dad on Labor Day from glioblastoma, the most aggressive, non curable brain cancer out there. Took 4.5 months from first symptoms to death.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

My mom died of esophageal cancer. 76 and an alcoholic smoker. So my guess is “environmental”.

Which reminds me. Gotta get that colonoscopy.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all my siblings for the time being. Both my parents,grandparents and are deceased. I am very close to my only sister, and can only imagine how difficult that must be for you. Cancer is all over one side of my family, cardiovascular disease all over the other.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for your loss Q.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry Q. Cancer sucks. Prayers sent for you and your family.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

No cancer on Dad's side, he will be 94 in January. Mom lost her father (lung), brother (bone), and sister (intestinal) to cancer, but she made it to 79 with no cancer that we know of.

My wife is a 28 year leukemia survivor, having had a bone marrow transplant in '98. Her parents both had cancers, but neither were fatal.

I had a basal cell tumor removed in 2009 and am having surgery next week for prostate cancer. I am thankful that my cancers have been of less lethal types, but hope to never hear the term in a doctor's office again.

Posts: 786 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My maternal grandmother had thyroid cancer. She got it after WWII, she never talked about how she got it.
My maternal grandfather had prostate cancer, but died of old age. One of My dads first cousins had lung cancer. Smoker
Another of his first cousin had lung cancer also
And one of his aunts has leukemia.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry for the loss of your sister.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It has occured in my aunts on my father's side.

And condolences to you.

And it has happened to me. I had a form of neck cancer common to Asians. Doctor's said it was rare for Caucasians to have it. Heavy smoker for years, and drank a lot prior to having cancer. Later, found out I am 16% Asian, which explains the rare cancer connection.

No cancer connections on my mother's side of the family just my father's.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Many condolences and prayers sent for your family, Q.

I’ve had an uncle die at 36, back in ‘68 or so, from colon cancer. My dad died with cancer two years ago, but I’m not sure that killed him. There were so many things there.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My deepest condolences, Sir.

I lost my maternal grandfather to lung cancer in 1978, and my mother had survived a couple different cancers when she passed in 2013 from complications from a partial lung lobectomy. My brother died from complications from prostate and bladder cancer that metastasized to his lymph nodes.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Deepest condolences Q.

May God watch over her.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

My father died almost 2 years ago after a 4 1/2 yr battle with pancreatic cancer that was diagnosed as Stage 4 right off the bat, it burst his spleen.

My paternal aunt died a couple years before him from pancreatic cancer.

My cousin (her daughter) who is 3 yrs younger than me had a bout of thyroid cancer.

My wife's father died of pancreatic cancer when we were dating, he was only in his 50s.

Nobody in our family smokes, her father might have had an environmental component as a Seabee and subsequent welder.

Posts: 2606 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry about your sister Q. I have you and your family in my prayers.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yes, to some degree. My dad's family has had a lot of cancer, both his parents, several nieces and nephews, at least one brother, and his daughter (my sister). My mom's family has a run of Diabetes/Hypoglycemia (including her, a sister, and me).

I am sorry for your loss.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post