SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Italian hiker with frostbite, 4 others rescued in Alaska after trekking to 'Into the Wild' bus: officials
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Italian hiker with frostbite, 4 others rescued in Alaska after trekking to 'Into the Wild' bus: officials Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I say leave it out there, it's a magnet for fucktards, Darwinism in action.

I agree with this.

There are some incredibly beautiful places in Alaska. If some f-turd chooses to make the trek to this bus so be it. If they don't understand what they are doing so be it.

Unfortunately, the state has to expend precious resources to save these f-turds; the state can't just say f'em, "so be it".

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Here in hillbillyville, we'd just shoot the shit out of it. Happens in the desert, too. Tell the boys its now a legal target. It might not go away, but there'd sure be a lot of ventilation.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Fairbanks has the dubious distinction of having one of the largest temperature swings in the world. Practically every winter hits -60F and practically every summer hits 90F. I used to get endless complaints from my fab shop inspectors that they’d be making more money and be warmer inspecting work in the Arctic Circle (ie North Slope).

Hiking in Remote Alaska in February ain’t for dilettantes. You better have local knowledge (eg guide) and layers of gear.

My understanding, is the man who gave Sean Penn a ride to the trail to the bus, in the movie, and also gave him boots, was the actual man who did the same for McCandles.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Some local, who doesn't give a F, is gonna burn that bus. Incinerate it

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
An Alaskan writer, Dana Stabnow, had the best comment on these idiots: “Suicide by Alaska.”
There are all sorts that think Alaska would be a nice place to explore. That the moose and bears are what you see in the zoo.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like the idea of that linked attraction, a replica bus at the brewpub.

Seems like a lot of expense to drag the official bus next to the road. Maybe the military can do a training exercise, hoist the bus?

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Fairbanks has the dubious distinction of having one of the largest temperature swings in the world. Practically every winter hits -60F and practically every summer hits 90F. I used to get endless complaints from my fab shop inspectors that they’d be making more money and be warmer inspecting work in the Arctic Circle (ie North Slope).

Hiking in Remote Alaska in February ain’t for dilettantes. You better have local knowledge (eg guide) and layers of gear.

My understanding, is the man who gave Sean Penn a ride to the trail to the bus, in the movie, and also gave him boots, was the actual man who did the same for McCandles.

Well, it evidently didn’t work with Penn.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
None of this makes a lick of sense. Can't these idiots be billed for the cost of a rescue?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey now, it was worth a shot!

I've read the book on someones recommendation, its not for me. I was going to say remove the bus but... seems to be a better mousetrap for idiots. No ones being marched out there at gunpoint so yeah, it will sort itself out I say.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Here in hillbillyville, we'd just shoot the shit out of it. Happens in the desert, too. Tell the boys its now a legal target. It might not go away, but there'd sure be a lot of ventilation.

Doesn't everyone shoot up abandoned vehicles in the woods/desert/mountains?

I've put many holes in a handful of them in a few US States over my life.

Never fails, way out in BFE, some rustbucket just sitting there, usually with a thousand holes in it already.

Free targets.

posted Hide Post
I think if I were a bear, I'd stake it out.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Better luck next time, Sean.

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Report This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
The replica bus in Healy is the one used for the movie. The original was drug in by a dozer for road constructions crews. Its about 25 miles off the highway, which makes it inconvenient to shoot up.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Good mission for the AK Army Guard Aviation Unit. Do a joint operation with an Engineers Unit. Let them cut it into manageable pieces, then sling load it out to a junk yard.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
It's February. It's Alaska.

What could go wrong?

They probably didn't want to deal with the mosquitoes in warmer weather.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Good mission for the AK Army Guard Aviation Unit. Do a joint operation with an Engineers Unit. Let them cut it into manageable pieces, then sling load it out to a junk yard.

Ft Wainwright (next to Fairbanks, I was stationed there 50 years ago) has active duty CH-47s, I don't know why one of the Senators hasn't "suggested" they sling it out.

https://home.army.mil/alaska/i...RAK-units/1-52d-gsab

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
How about they just remove the bus?

Removing it wouldn't be easy. If done by helicopter, it wouldn't be cheap.

Maybe rescuing people will turn out to be more expensive in the long run (although you can bill people if you to rescue them), but why should the public pay to save these morons from themselves.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't everyone shoot up abandoned vehicles in the woods/desert/mountains?

I've put many holes in a handful of them in a few US States over my life..

Believe it or not, it's against the law in Arizona. Some Political genius years ago thought that someone might be living in that abandoned rust bucket.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
They dragged it in. They can drag it out. Even cheaper would be to demo it. Leave little behind like Treadwell.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe rescuing people will turn out to be more expensive in the long run (although you can bill people if you to rescue them), but why should the public pay to save these morons from themselves.

Maybe they should adopt and promote a policy of not rescuing any more bus-morons. If people are dumb enough to make their silly pilgrimage to the bus, they do it at their own peril.

Plus, buzzards gotta eat same as worms. Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post