SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Italian hiker with frostbite, 4 others rescued in Alaska after trekking to 'Into the Wild' bus: officials
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Italian hiker with frostbite, 4 others rescued in Alaska after trekking to 'Into the Wild' bus: officials Login/Join 
What?? That's my name!
posted Hide Post
Call me

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This ought to be good.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The link has a 2:36 video about the bus.

https://www.webcenterfairbanks...ngineering-facility/

Historic Interior Alaskan bus available to view at Fairbanks Engineering Facility

By Alex Bengel
Published: Oct. 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM CDT

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (KTVF) - A world-famous bus that has stirred much controversy across Alaska is now visible at the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) while it is being preserved for display at the Museum of the North.

Angela Linn, Senior Collections Manager of Ethnology and History at the museum said, “A lot of people who have this connection with the bus... it’s a very personal, some might say a spiritual connection.”

The bus, long abandoned on the Stampede Trail near Healy, was moved to the university’s Engineering Facility on Wednesday, October 6th.

The bus gained worldwide notoriety after the summer of 1992, when Chris McCandless used the bus for shelter before dying in the Alaska wilderness. These events were immortalized in the book “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer.

“It’s okay that people have this huge range of feeling about the bus,” Linn said. “That means they’re thinking about it. They have opinions about it, and that means they’re engaged with history, which is a really important thing for those of us who are in the business of preserving history.”

She said the bus’s current location is “heated, it’s environmental controls, it’s a secure space, and most importantly it’s got this observation space up above.”

From 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, students and members of the community can come take a look for free.

Preparing the bus for outdoor exhibition at the museum is an extensive process, according to Linn. “One of the very first things we’re going to do is to document, really systematically, all the graffiti that you can see on the inside and the outside of the bus. This is a really important part of the last 30 years of the bus.”

The bus must also be closed up. “Holes were cut in the roof and the floor of the bus in order for it to be helicoptered out of the Stampede Trail.”

Linn also pointed out that the vehicle is riddled with bullet holes, and “some of them are kind of dangerous. The shots that come from inside leave these jagged holes, so we don’t want anybody to be injured when this does eventually go on exhibit.”

While McCandless’ story has inspired a generation of travelers, many find the popularity of his story misguided. Linn said, “That’s one of the things that we want to explain to people and show people, that there is a lot more to the history of the bus and the story of the bus than just those 114 days that McCandless is associated with it.”

The bus will remain in the Engineering Facility at least through the end of the academic year.

The conservation effort, according to Linn, is being crowd funded. More information can be found here.

======================

Museum link: https://uaf.edu/museum/collect...ts/bus_142/index.php

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So an unprepared guy moves into an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness and dies of exposure/starvation (or whatever). And this makes the bus worthy of becoming a museum artifact?

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
So an unprepared guy moves into an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness and dies of exposure/starvation (or whatever). And this makes the bus worthy of becoming a museum artifact?

I dont know if it's worthy of becoming a museum artifact, but I think they're tired of rescuing people trying to recreate his "journey".

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

I dont know if it's worthy of becoming a museum artifact, but I think they're tired of rescuing people trying to recreate his "journey".

That would make sense.

posted Hide Post
Darwin being denied his due.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The bus has a history of being a bug zapper for idiots. I don't think it's going to prevent anything. It's original location is well documented and there are still people who will make the, "Pilgrimage" to the site.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Author: Emily Goodykoontz
No shit?

She should change her name. Perhaps Tammy Tastytwat
It's so weird to read things I've forgotten I'd posted. Also, I see that Doosh Klitman and BJ Cockrider showed up as well. Razz

The Death Bus. Former home of an idiot other idiots have made into a hero...

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just wait till some of these "enlightened" people start to re-trace the steps of those that went before them. You can not fix stupid. Even though the bus has been removed to another area of the state. And even if the state started to charge the actual cost for the rescue they will still come. The Alaskan wilderness is unforgiving and brutal no matter the time of the year and weather. It does not have to be below +32*F to suffer from frostbite of some body parts.... Know of several "seasoned" residents who knew better but had a lapse of judgement and ended up paying dearly for the mistake..... Lived in Alaska (1974-1979) 100 miles east of Fairbanks in Delta Junction / Ft. Greely and saw temps of -50*F / -60*F / -70*F Quiet often. Actually saw -82*F on a calibrated thermometer while outside working at the Arctic cold Regions Test Center / Ft.Greely, Alaska. And when you actually encounter temperaturs in those temperature ranges you get very little chance to make a mistake and not have to suffer the consequencies. You can not fix stupid . ......................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
How about they just remove the bus?
That was my thought. Solves several problems. Apparently they have done that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
How about they just remove the bus?
That was my thought. Solves several problems. Apparently they have done that.

flashguy

Yes it was removed by helo....

Link

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Angela Linn, Senior Collections Manager of Ethnology and History at the museum said, “A lot of people who have this connection with the bus... it’s a very personal, some might say a spiritual connection. As I said, now I've got my magic bus."

The conservation effort, according to Linn, is being crowd funded. "I don't care how much I pay. I want it, she said.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, that is the motive. They are trying to keep morons from hiking to the bus and meeting Idiot Number 1's fate. Casual outdoorsmen and other Zen travelers aren't prepared for how dangerous Alaska can be. (Not that there is anything wrong with being a Zen traveler, just don't try it in Alaska unless you are also Jim Bridger.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
People go missing in Alaska every day, for a variety of reasons. Stupidity is really the #1 reason. We don't have one of the world's largest bear populations for nothing...and feeding them is expensive, ask any zoo. The stupid tourist rescue economy is always thriving here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
... The stupid tourist rescue economy is always thriving here.

Just curious, do they actually bill (and collect) a fee to rescue the stupid tourists or is this all government funded rescue efforts?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
... The stupid tourist rescue economy is always thriving here.

Just curious, do they actually bill (and collect) a fee to rescue the stupid tourists or is this all government funded rescue efforts?

Long answer: depends.
Short answer: not usually, and certainly not to the extent of the cost.

There are some private SAR groups though, who can be hired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
[There are some private SAR groups though, who can be hired.
Any chance of hiring these folks to pick up a few people in DC and release them in AK?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Any chance of hiring these folks to pick up a few people in DC and release them in AK?
Politics in an apolitical thread. Cease and desist, please.

What is the point of this, guys? I've said this only 500 or so times. What's it gonna take?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If only Darwin had just mentioned these idiot traps, they would have bcome an industry. It’s just like a roach trap. They can’t resist.

It’s funny in a very sad way.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post