SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Raising a feminist son
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raising a feminist son Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
In today's installment of "this is bullshit:"

Raising a feminist son in the NYT.

Now, for the record, I'm all in favor of letting my son be whoever he is, but this article is deeply flawed. While it does say some of the right things, it gives a list of things YOU MUST DO to make sure your son is a feminist.

Now.

My main issue is this. When we encourage girls to do all kinds of things, and let them know they can be who they want, and do things men can do, are we raising them "masculinist?"

No. So why by letting a boy be who he is, is it raising a feminist?

Also, what if my boy likes all the things typical boys like? Do I have to go out of my way to expose him to "feminism," apparently yes.

If you recall my recent post on tolerance you'll know that I'm all for people living how they see fit. My problem with this article, is that if you're raising an "unconventional" son, it's automatically feminism.

Why do I have a problem with feminism? I don't, I honestly believe in equality. I have a problem with Feminism, and people who tell me I can't understand what it is like to be a woman, or black, etc. Now, for those people to insist that I raise MY son in any way, is shit. Especially if that way, is closed to me as a man.

My son is 3, and there are years ahead of us where we find out who he is. Maybe he's gay, who knows, that's not important. What is important is that he be able to function in the world, and be able to support and protect himself. Some of those skills, are things a man needs to know. Basic things, every PERSON should be able to do.

If women and girls can be whoever they want, and labeling them is wrong, why is raising a boy a certain way "feminist," when you're empowering him to be who he is? Does it matter whether who he is feminine? No. No it doesn't, and Feminism doesn't inform raising boys.

Could certain things stand to be changed, in the way we raise boys, and what is expected of men? Sure. But now being a regular guy is odd, and if you don't raise your kids under the mantle of feminism something is wrong?

Horse SHIT.

If the desire for equality is real, then feminism is not what we need when raising our boys, because feminism doesn't exist. We should teach our kids to be good people, regardless of gender.

While we do that, lets rob them of the enjoyable parts of being a boy or girl. Lets make sure everyone is the same, and that there are no unique inherent traits to either sex, or reason to WANT to be masculine.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It's in the New York Times, for crying out loud.

I didn't read the article. Should I have named my son Sue!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That's just so you can read an article.

The idea of this, movement if you like, is already widespread. The author of this article is making the rounds so everyone can pat themselves on the back about how progressive they are.

Millenials who can't change a tire. It's already here.

Arc.

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Reading the NYT and expecting not to read annoying nonsense is like using binoculars to look at an eclipse and expecting not to get your eyes wrecked.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The title of the thread isn't "what do you think of the new york times."

If you've got something to say about the issue I'm trying to discuss, by all means.

Arc.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
God forbid we let kids be kids anymore. This ridiculous urge of the left to social engineer everyone into obedient little robots from birth is infuriating. Can't chance letting a future democrat voter get away!

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Reading the NYT and expecting not to read annoying nonsense is like using binoculars to look at an eclipse and expecting not to get your eyes wrecked.

My cat is orange.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"Boys are particularly responsive to spending time with role models, even more than girls, research shows. There is growing evidence that boys raised in households without a father figure fare worse in behavior, academics and earnings."

Hard to argue with that. Boys and girls are different, but that doesn't mean I'm raising mine with different values. My sons and daughter are all expected to be respectful and nice to everyone. I don't know how that squares with feminism and really don't care. I have a Book that works for me and don't feel the need to supplement it.

Posts: 11616 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Part of what I'm driving at, is they're trying to give Feminism sole credit it doesn't deserve. Feminism isn't the birth of the idea that all people have equal rights.

It's the birth of a number of ideas, and not all of them are good for boys, certainly not men.

Again, I think it's worth pointing out that for some decades, we've been telling girls all the things they can do like men, but without declaring them "masculinized," because we don't want to shame them for being girls.

But, we can raise Feminist sons, and I'm an ogre if I point out that is deeply misguided. Just even letting the word in bothers me, because it is not as wholesome as put forth, and I'm not sure that the people pushing it don't know that.

On the whole, it's just one more way to prep future generations for subjugation by the State, or by a Caliphate, whichever comes first while they're busy talking about their feelings.

Which brings me to another point. For a long time, part of growing up as a boy, was a lot of people telling you that you don't cry, etc. etc. There are indeed times not to cry, and we as men should be allowed to both have feelings, and know when it's time to put feelings aside. There are course corrections to raising functional men, that can be made without ever bringing feminism into it.

This boils down to gender roles, and call me puzzled when we can mix feminism into masculinity, but not the other way around.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
What a bunch of gobbled y gook. My wife and I encourage equally the traits and characteristics that make a young person a great adult. I don't raise my sons to be bullies and don't raise my daughter to be a wilting flower either.

The article seems to ignore normal gender roles and tendencies.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm raising my boy to respect women and do, think, wear, and be whatever the hell he wants. He will also respect other people's choices and put bullies on notice that abusing his friends will no be tolerated.
If some egghead wants to ignorantly applaud him as a Feminist...shrug.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They want us to believe that you can't truly respect women unless you're a total beta wussy. Just the ongoing emasculation of the American male. Personally I don't understand how a confident woman could respect such a "male". But the media is warping the message of what a strong woman should be, too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
What a bunch of gobbled y gook. My wife and I encourage equally the traits and characteristics that make a young person a great adult. I don't raise my sons to be bullies and don't raise my daughter to be a wilting flower either.

The article seems to ignore normal gender roles and tendencies.

A Silicon Valley "propeller head", (ie, a "high tech guru") once explained re men and women. "The hardware is different, the software is different; they both function in their own way, and when working together they can accomplish great things". There are normal, inborn, genetic differences, roles and tendencies. I would say nature intended it to be that way for a purpose.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOL, I was not going to click the link and get sucked into giving the Times my money when I got to this post^^. Well said.

Sorry, can't add to the conversation so good luck. My son will be swinging by tonight. He's a nurse in another state and I don't see him much. Good guy.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Last night, I ran into this cartoon on Facebook. I showed it to my wife and she was even wondering, WTH? Reading the comments to go with was enough to turn my stomach. Everyone was praising how wonderful this was and how they were going to use this guy's cartoons to educate their children. There were a few that questioned it, mainly females, and they were shouted down in typical fashion as being what's wrong with society these days. This one gal echoed my thoughts by questioning how they could have had a relationship, much less a "loving" marriage if the wife obviously treated him that way all the time. People responded that the wife was engrossed in her reading, it was important, and she had every right to tell him to shove off. Some even went so far as to say that's how a marriage is supposed to work; that you are supposed to get consent for every little action that you take. Wow. I'm sure glad I was raised in a different time. I fear what these pussies are going to do to society.

There was an interesting question posed by some of the free thinkers: what if the roles in the cartoon had been reversed?

Posts: 572 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If Feminism means treating women as equals and as human beings, then I am all for it. Not many could possibly object to that. That doesn't mean we have to pretend men and women are exactly the same as men, which to me seems to be patent nonsense.

Sometimes there might be situations where it is hard to tell if we are not being fair to women or that some social construct is genuinely related to real male/female differences, but I think those problems are fewer in number than some would have us believe.

Other, what I might call "add-ons" to feminism are silly. This includes, for example, things like not giving a boy a toy gun because it encourages violence. Give a child whatever they want to play with - boys, girls, guns, dolls, stuffed animals, whatever. To the extent that is part of someone's definition of feminism they are wrong about what feminism is.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It's in the New York Times, for crying out loud.

I didn't read the article. Should I have named my son Sue!

According to Johnny Cash naming him Sue will make him quite the hard ass SOB.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
Last night, I ran into this cartoon on Facebook. I showed it to my wife and she was even wondering, WTH? Reading the comments to go with was enough to turn my stomach. Everyone was praising how wonderful this was and how they were going to use this guy's cartoons to educate their children. There were a few that questioned it, mainly females, and they were shouted down in typical fashion as being what's wrong with society these days. This one gal echoed my thoughts by questioning how they could have had a relationship, much less a "loving" marriage if the wife obviously treated him that way all the time. People responded that the wife was engrossed in her reading, it was important, and she had every right to tell him to shove off. Some even went so far as to say that's how a marriage is supposed to work; that you are supposed to get consent for every little action that you take. Wow. I'm sure glad I was raised in a different time. I fear what these pussies are going to do to society.

There was an interesting question posed by some of the free thinkers: what if the roles in the cartoon had been reversed?

I don't see anything wrong with the message in the cartoon, as long as it's not taken to extremes. But really, if my girlfriend doesn't want to be touched, for whatever reason, all she has to do is tell me "no" and that'll that. It wont make me angry, or worried she doesn't love me anymore, or make me think she's cheating, she's just not in the mood to be touched. It's likely she just farted, and in 20 minutes everything will be fine. I promise, teaching that it's okay to not want physical contact at all times with your significant other isn't some Marxist trick to bring down the Republic.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The article is deeply flawed.

"Let him cry" "Give him role models"

I have no problem with these sentiments. My problem is DOES THIS REALLY HAVE TO BE TAUGHT TO PARENTS?? Babies cry. And it takes a while for them to grow up, boy or girl. So one can expect some crying as they grow up. It would take a mentally handicapped or perverse person (neither of whom would be inclined to read the article) to know to allow a child to cry and when to wean them off it.

If you didn't know that kids need role models, you're not the type to be reading the article either. And I wonder about the people who read this and say, "By Jove, he's right!"

"Let him be himself" No. There is no "himself" in him yet. While they may have their individual peculiarities, the environment still has a component in affecting a person's identity.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Feminism, not unlike most of the progressive mantra is total and complete bullshit at this point. I have zero tolerance and/or acceptance of any of it. As Milo noted in one of his pieces, most woman don't even want to be called feminists any more because of how its been bastardized.

And as I've told a number of people rather bluntly and unapologetically over the years, when it comes to raising my son, those decisions are entirely mine and my wife's business and no one elses. Both current left and right ideologies intrude on that process and call it progress. It most assuredly is not.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post