SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Raising a feminist son
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raising a feminist son Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Bear with me, Gentlemen, please.

I have to admit that English is not my first language, or even the third, but even so, after all these years I'm getting pretty good at reading and comprehending what I read in such a way that it makes sense.

Usually.

Right now, I have to admit that somewhere along the line, now 71 years and three months long, I've missed something out.

I have not the foggiest notion what this thread is about. It is, as they say, beyond my comprehension

There y'are, I said it.

Don't hit me, OK?

tac

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I have not the foggiest notion what this thread is about. It is, as they say, beyond my comprehension

There y'are, I said it.

Do you have any questions?

For my part, I'm a live-and-let-live kind of guy, and I fully intend to raise my son to be a decent human being. I'm not even concerned with who he might be as a person, and I'm not going to shame him for not "being manly" or such. But, I'm going to show him how to do all kinds of things, and I sure hope he enjoys shooting.

What is going on right now, and has been building for decades, is what I feel is a calculated undermining of what it is to be Masculine. Did the way I grew up need some fine tuning in the hazing/bullying and gender roles dept? Sure, whose didn't. But most of us don't turn out to be rapists, or even bigoted towards women.

The idea of letting a child be who they are, has been taken too far, and I believe that's on purpose. Children don't yet know who they are, and they build it for years, by direct learning, but also by observation, osmosis you might say. Young children don't know enough about who they are or might be, to make rational choices, but a stripe of people right now are insisting on "letting the child choose."

This is actually a complex issue, only because of how "Feminists" and others are trying to fuck with it, frankly. As I've mentioned, a good summary of "WTF," is why it's a priority to insist on raising boys through feminism, but no such label is given to encouraging girls to do anything they put their mind to, and in fact the feminine traits of girls are celebrated, while no masculine qualities are assigned.

I do believe that people should live how they choose, and raise their children how they see fit. Which is why I'm on alert about this nonsense.

People sure as shit can intentionally raise their boys to be "feminists," but dang if those same people are opposed to someone say raising a child Catholic. I know, who would do something so cruel as raising a child Catholic.

The simple definition of feminism, is the desire for equality between women and men. Except, that's not what they're really up to.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I am now better informed, but I still don't understand what it's all about. Perhaps it's an American cultural thing that we just don't encounter over here, like your interpretation of 'liberal'. Here in UK liberalism is a middle-of the road political party - in fact, it's the third choice of political party, not a way of life that produces, as I've often read here, a population of 'snowflakes', so please ignore me.

What about 'masculine-ism'? Or are we not permitted to talk about that for fear of causing somebody offence?

tac

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
You can't just raise your child to have respect for other people and their opinions? Oh wait that would be too easy.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
This is sort of how I felt when Feminists were telling me it was my duty to pursue a career instead of staying home to care for my kids. Supposedly I was enabling oppression and disrespecting all the work my predecessors had done for women's rights. Funny, I thought rights and freedom were about having choices, not being forced in the opposite direction.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with allowing a boy to play with dolls; after all, he's probably going to be a dad someday. But there's also no reason to force a boy to play with dolls if he has no desire to do so.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My son has a kitchen play set, we got it for him because he was interested. He's got a shopping cart, fake food. All of it is pink, which is also his favorite color right now.

Does it mean I'm raising a feminist? No. Does it mean other people should be required to buy their sons kitchen playsets? No.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The article has the usual helping of stupid labels and justifications.

Most of the actual details of the "parenting tips" fall under the heading of "no shit."

I have daughters but if I had a son my goal would not be to raise an emotionally stunted, bullying, woman-hating sex offender that doesn't study or do chores or go to church or read.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post