SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey Southern California: First tropical storm since 1939 set to hit us this weekend.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Southern California: First tropical storm since 1939 set to hit us this weekend. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Because CLIMATE CHANGE! It is a confluence of climate change greenies and the monetization of weather reporting. They both benefit from hyping what was a little rain and a little wind. And yes of course it has happened before. And will happen again even if every human magically stopped their carbon footprint instantaneously.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Yes, the San Diego area suffered little damage. That was the point of my post.

Yep, I get that, and I'm glad it wasn't severe. My point was that the media has been losing their little minds about this thing for the past week, and it's all over nothing.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Bakersfield to Barstow got spanked a bit on Sunday. Interstate 15 was closed in both directions and traffic was diverted through town, much of it on roads running with *lots* of water. 58 was closed between Tehachapi and Barstow, part of it looked washed out on the news. The news was reporting that stretch of 58 would be closed at least through the 24th.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Wonder if these storms will become a bit more normal for that area...

Why would that be?

Change in weather patterns that historically move them across Mexico that remains, allowing them to move north like Hillary. Temp changes in the ocean, too many straws in the water,

Maybe all the reduced carbon footprint from less ICE vehicles, combined with increased electricity demand from the required EV vehicles and the heat from reflection off solar panels are changing the weather pattern of SoCal Or maybe all those giant Windmills are pulling so much air they are changing the direction of the jet stream Big Grin wouldn't that be ironic...

The sense of humor we need!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...the media has been losing their little minds about this thing for the past week, and it's all over nothing.
Sensationalism. That's how they keep their ratings up with the sheeple that believe their pointless, mind-numbing drivel.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Bakersfield to Barstow got spanked a bit on Sunday. Interstate 15 was closed in both directions and traffic was diverted through town, much of it on roads running with *lots* of water. 58 was closed between Tehachapi and Barstow, part of it looked washed out on the news. The news was reporting that stretch of 58 would be closed at least through the 24th.

My wife grew up in Tehachapi. Heard they canceled mountain fest due to the weather, sounds like that was a good call.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
And will happen again even if every human magically stopped their carbon footprint instantaneously.

Will I still have to buy shoes?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Making the rounds was the Lake Dodgers Stadium video, even made the national news, NY Times etc. But, Fox LA states it wasn't flooded, it was just a parking lot covered in water.

Link FOX LA Article

It does look like the parking lot is covered/flooded...

https://twitter.com/DodgerAeri.../1693459053480202335

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why are they saying this is the first since 1939?

Hurricane Kathleen, 1976

To the above poster-
We are giving you an imeadate cease ad desist order and order you to remove your post, as we do not like or allow FACTS to be in the way of our agenda. We enjoy our ability to stir up fear and discontent among low IQ voters without people like you pointing out how wrong we are. We like to think that the masses are "incapable of understanding their own interests, unaided".

If you decide to reply, please be wearing your government approved M95 covid mask as you type.

Signed
Ministry of Propaganda
Ministry of Information and Tourism
Propaganda and Agitation Department
State Political Directorate

Main Stream Media

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I completely ignore these dolts and their idiocy and have for years.

We did get a bit of badly needed rain yesterday as a spin off of hilray. It was a Godsend. So there is that Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are they saying this is the first since 1939?

Hurricane Kathleen, 1976

Just due to a juicy and thinly veiled technicality I think. I believe the focus has been on where "landfall" would/did occur. Kathleen came ashore just south of CA and proceed into the US from there I believe.

I'm not saying it's any different if you're in the wind and rain, but it makes for more dramatic weather-babe chatter!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12439 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
We did get a bit of badly needed rain yesterday as a spin off of hilray. It was a Godsend. So there is that Smile

So did we. An even inch at my place in about 8 hours of raining. Mostly put down our fire that was nearly a Lahaina part two. Had to evacuate a little town and surrounding homes in the hills. Lost a number of them before the rain hit.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Making the rounds was the Lake Dodgers Stadium video, even made the national news, NY Times etc. But, Fox LA states it wasn't flooded, it was just a parking lot covered in water.

Link FOX LA Article

It does look like the parking lot is covered/flooded...

Speaking as a Giants fan, Chavez Latrine never looked better Big Grin

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
58 was closed between Tehachapi and Barstow,

But could you still get from Tehachapi to Tonopah?

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite headline about the storm comes from the Babylon Bee:

Following Hurricane, California's Homeless Begin The Hard Work Of Re-Pooping All The Sidewalks

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
58 was closed between Tehachapi and Barstow,

But could you still get from Tehachapi to Tonopah?

You had to drive the back roads.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post