SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to use a screw extractor? Best one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to use a screw extractor? Best one? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Who is familiar with screw extractors?
I watched a few U-tube videos... Roll Eyes

I have a 4Runner with a snapped off bolt where the license plate screws into the back of the vehicle.

I drilled a hole, as close to center as possible but I can't get the #2 extractor to bite.

I'm thinking that maybe I need one that is more tapered than the cheap one I bought?

It's pretty rusted in there. Who makes a good one?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've never had much luck with the various extractors I've tried.

I've had better luck with using a Dremel with a small cutoff wheel to grind a slot and then use a flathead screwdriver or bit. Depending on the location, and how flush and stuck the bolt is, that may be an option.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Avoid imported (unless from Europe) screw extractors. The metallurgy and heat treatment isn't right and they are often brittle. Once a screw extractor breaks off in a drilled bolt, your problems are worse than when you started.

If the screw broke due to corrosion seizing the threads, the marriage between the hole and bolt is still as strong as was when the bolt broke. Drilling it all the way out and chasing the threads may be the only option unless you get lucky with penetrating oil.

Posts: 7481 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Easy out brand is what I use. Sometimes you need to tap the extractor a few times with a hammer to get it to bite.

It may be possible to get to the back side of the broken screw and turn it with a pair of vice grips if it's sticking out far enough.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If it is rusted, there is little chance of getting it out.

I have drilled out some and then tapped the hole for a metric screw.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once a screw extractor breaks off in a drilled bolt, your problems are worse than when you started.

That's what I'm worried about.

I drilled the hole (using a left hand bit, in reverse) pretty close to center, and it's about 1/4 inch deep.

Not a great photo, but here's what we're looking at:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had better luck with using a Dremel with a small cutoff wheel to grind a slot and then use a flathead screwdriver or bit.

Same, if it's not countersunk.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
You need to address the reason the screw became stuck in the first place. Rust. Use liberal amounts of penetrating oil such as PB Blaster to pretreat for a couple of days. Otherwise you have little hope of backing the screw out.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That looks like it might respond to a combination of penetrating oil followed by drilling all the way through the bolt with a small bit and then increasing the bit size until you've hit the largest size possible without damaging the threads.

Posts: 7321 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
You need to address the reason the screw became stuck in the first place. Rust. Use liberal amounts of penetrating oil such as PB Blaster to pretreat for a couple of days. Otherwise you have little hope of backing the screw out.

I think that's right. I'm doing that.

-rduckwor

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW a 50/50 mix of ATF ( auto transmission fluid) and Acetone makes an excellent penetrating oil. Acetone is available in any hardware store in the paint section. It’s also a great cleaner. Be sure to read the label.

And BTW it won’t store long, so mix up just enough to use right away.

Mixing and using it from a metal oil spout container makes it easy to use. Or a old eye dropper syringe, or any syringe, is easy to apply from.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
After a good soaking the screw may just run out the back while you are drilling. Out is out either way!

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
After a good soaking the screw may just run out the back while you are drilling. Out is out either way!

That's what I was getting at in my previous post. If it is possible to access the back side, there may be enough of the screw to grab onto and screw it all the way through.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Often as not the reason the screw failed is that it was overstressed on installation. When a screw or bolt is inserted, it's tightened; with bolts, typically to a pre-determined "torque" value, and with screws, most people tighten to whatever feels right.

"Torque" isn't tightness. It's stretch. As the threads are driven deeper, the bolt or screw is stetched, and that's what's actually being determined by torque (whether by calibrated instrument or "elbow torque..the way it feels). Too much, and it's likely to fail when its time to come out, and it may have been overstretched. This also means that once it's failed, it's not that hard to remove using a screw extractor.

There are a dozen or so ways to remove a screw, but once it has failed, only a few. In this case, as others noted, it appears to ahve rust beneath the head, indicating that it may also be along the threads. Soak it. I've never found anything that works better than Kroil, except perhaps Mouse Milk, if you can get it. (it's a real product).

There are a number of different screw extractors or "ez outs," and some are fairly worthless. Some work really well. When you use an extractor, reemember that as you turn it's screwing into the screw shaft, and as it does this, it expands the shaft, increasing friction and making it harder to remove; too large an extractor can make it hard to remove and break the screw.

Of the dozens of extractor styles out there, the ony one I've ever found to be reliable and worth anything are:

Those particular ones are from Home Depot, made by Lisle, but there are several versions, and Napa usually has them. They come in several sizes. Don't go too big. Drill deep enough, and if it's slipping when you use it, you need to drill a bit deeper.

A lot of made of left hand bits. It's a nice idea, but unnecessary; a regular bit will work. A carbide bit works best. Fasteners like bolts and screws are often particularly hard. Given thin, small screws, it's best to go with a pilot hole using a small bit, and expand it with a larger bit after. Use the correct bit for the extractor. don't simply select a random bit size. The bit for the extractor is found on the extractor itself.

Use a socket to turn the extractor and use both hands to steady it; if you tip it while turning, there's a good possibility of breaking off an extractor in the screw that you're attempting to remove, and the you're really "screwed." The extractor is much harder and very difficult to drill. It's als for that reason that I strongly prefer the extractor style pictured above, because they're far, far less likely to break off than most other types.

Avoid gimick-style extractors, long ones, long thin ones, and ones that combine a drill and extractor in one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If the hole you drilled is close to center, I'd use the correct size drill, all the way through, to tap it over again. Either the remnants will come out or you'll have good enough threads for a license plate.

Posts: 9545 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I think the square shaped screw extractor are the best. I've used this style a lot with great results. I would think you could find some at Napa or Home Depot ect.
Here's a amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont...234&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Posts: 1577 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried them all back before I retired. Gee that sounds good!. Besides everything mentioned you may want to try a left handed drill bit. Many times it will catch on the broken bolt and pull it out.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides everything mentioned you may want to try a left handed drill bit. Many times it will catch on the broken bolt and pull it out.

That's what I was hoping for. I drilled the hole with a left handed drill bit. Unfortunately, it didn't move at all. I'm soaking it with PB Blaster and I'll go back to the hardware store.

-rduckwor

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've not had any luck with screw extractors. Easier to just drill it out, then use a bolt and nut.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
If you’ve never done it before check out Ave on YouTube. I believe he’s an Mechanical Engineer and his videos are amusing and educational.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ard...ry=Bolt%20extraction

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post