SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to use a screw extractor? Best one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to use a screw extractor? Best one? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

^^^ LoL
5 holes out of 8! That's good enough for the girls I date...
You've got to have the patience of Job to do this.... Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for drill it out and retap the threads

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the best luck with the "Easy Out" kit you see on infomercials, but that's been with intact screws where the recess has stripped (usually hex)

I don't use the drill portion as I find it usually makes it too smooth for the puller portion to bite.

For what you have, I've never had anything work short of just drilling it out. I start small, using a punch to dimple the end for a starting point. once you get the small bit deep into it you can start working your way up. When you get close to the actual diameter of the threads stop and try to force a screwdriver of some sort into the hole you've made and turn it out. Usually this is how I've got them out. Worst case is you drill it all the way out and have to chase it or re-tap it.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
I've got a better idea. Just drill out to lets say 5/16", go to the parts store a buy a pack of 5/16" "christmas tree" fasteners. Done

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: I bought one of these:

IRWIN Hanson Ex-2 Screw Extractor and 7/64 In Bit Combo
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN...Bit-Combo/1000363537

It's more tapered and goes in farther, but it just spins. So I drilled the hole a little deeper....
It goes in about half way down the threads of the extractor but it doesn't "bite" on the metal. It just spins.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which is why I recommended against this type of extractor in my previous post. These also tend to break off in the work more frequently, greatly complicating your problem.

It's very important that you use the correct drill bit for the size and type of extractor. The EX-2 in the picture above, for example, requires a 7/16 drill bit. If the bit isn't biting, you need to drill deeper.

Irwin also makes the same type extractor I previously pictured; those can be set with a hammer or drift (lightly), assuming the hole is deep enough and the correct diameter, and used with a socket. There's less likelihood of getting an angle on the hold with the extractor and breaking off the extractor. You're able to bear down a bit more during extraction, which is important. The extractor isn't as long and thin, meaning less chance of breakage.

You can also use a bit of valve grinding compound to increase the friction between the extractor and hole edges.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which is why I recommended against this type of extractor in my previous post. These also tend to break off in the work more frequently, greatly complicating your problem.

Yes... but the IRWIN Hanson Ex-2 was handy at the hardware store and I didn't see anything like that... so I thought I would give it a try. Razz

quote:
Those particular ones are from Home Depot, made by Lisle, but there are several versions, and Napa usually has them.

They didn't have them.
But it looks like I can order them and then pick them up when they come to my local store.

Lisle Stripped Screw Extractor Set (10-Piece)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Li...0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

-rduckwor

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

This style is hands down the best.
I'm a retired toolmaker and I've had the pleasure of removing many broken screws and bolts.
The spiral ones almost always break or you can't get a good bite on the broken screw.
Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1576 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post