SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need GE washing machine help please...Update...machine fixed, thanks guys.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need GE washing machine help please...Update...machine fixed, thanks guys. Login/Join 
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted
Model # GTWN4250D1WS. Machine will not deliver hot water. Hot water at the tap, line not clogged, screen clean. I went and replaced the hot/cold water valve, figuring that would be it, still ng. Sure, I could have bought another bad valve. Wife been complaining that it seems would restart and run for hours, doesn't respond to input from start/stop button. Skipping cycles, not spinning and draining completely, just being the POS that every other GE appliance in this house has become, including stove, dryer and fridge. All appliances are not even 4 yrs, old yet.
Please help, thanks to all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if maybe the internal computer board is bad, which is the reason for the other issues in addition to not getting hot water.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that as well Ryan. That's what happened with the fridge not 6 months in. Mother board junk.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve bought used parts on eBay for a fraction of new. I just put a new power control unit in my Maytag Dryer. $78 vs $200 new.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Mcrimm, I got the valve from ebay but have not discounted its potential to be junk as well.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I plugged the last new computerized washing machine we bought into a good surge protector. Maybe it helped.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Mcrimm, I got the valve from ebay but have not discounted its potential to be junk as well.

For me, it's a risk worth taking. Generally, if it is a dud, Ebay will refund. Time is an element if you run out of underwear......

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just replace it with a WHirlpool/maytag. By the time you add up the parts cost of the water solenoid valve you replaced, and then by the time you keep throwing parts and time at it, you're pretty soon at the $500-600 price of a new quality washer. With the various other issues, it surely sounds like a motherboard to me. Have you tried unplugging it for 30 minutes and plugging it back in?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
My next washer dryer will be a Speed Queen set with 7 yr warranty and top load design.
They are all over the neighborhood Facebook page. The ladies are loving them.
The local old school Worthley’s appliance store is a platinum dealer, and keeps them in stock, we looked at them after the buzz online.
The washer still has the agitator unlike the new models.
Soon as we get our floors redone in will come a Wisconsin made set.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried unplugging it for 30 minutes and plugging it back in?

Yes, tried that as well Jimmy. Still ng. Thanks though.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
My next washer dryer will be a Speed Queen set with 7 yr warranty and top load design.
They are all over the neighborhood Facebook page. The ladies are loving them.
The local old school Worthley’s appliance store is a platinum dealer, and keeps them in stock, we looked at them after the buzz online.
The washer still has the agitator unlike the new models.
Soon as we get our floors redone in will come a Wisconsin made set.

HK Ag

Are they still good? I thought the 2018 model year was crap. I'm wanting a good set myself.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
If I start the machine intending to do a load of whites, it will only put cold water in the machine. When I turn off the cold at the wall with the valve, and leave only the hot valve open, I get no water entering the machine. Anyone, anyone???

Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
And as my unorthodox trouble shooting methods continue, switching the lead from the hot water valve, over to the cold water valve, and vice versa, gets me hot water. Ive got to wait for the next cycle to see if I get cold as I'm way behind in towels!!! So it would seem that my hot water valve is not getting the signal, so where do I go next?

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Computer controls the water valve.

Check continuity on both valve solenoids for comparison/values. You know the cold works...

I'm going with circuit board on this.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Update, control board replaced for 94.00, solonoid replaced for 14.00, which apparently wasn't necessary, machine back up and running as it should!!! Total of 108.00, still cheaper than the guy coming, and I've got a spare solonoid for when it eventually fails. Wife happy. Thanks guys.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Update, control board replaced for 94.00, solonoid replaced for 14.00, which apparently wasn't necessary, machine back up and running as it should!!! Total of 108.00, still cheaper than the guy coming, and I've got a spare solonoid for when it eventually fails. Wife happy. Thanks guys.

Good job. You saved some money and learned something I bet that will help you next time.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post