SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bad Words vs Acceptable Words
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Words vs Acceptable Words Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Could not get Karmanator to work. George Carlin as always sums it up well:

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Many excellent responses and comments to my original post have been made, and the vast majority I agree with, and/or have shed some thought-provoking light on the subject.

I have nothing new to add at this time other than my compliments to you all for a well discussed subject which I shall continue to monitor. Keep calm and carry on!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Foul language is not a new phenomenon. John Flavel, 17th century puritan, addressed the same issue in his day. He wrote:

1. Some will happily tell us that they would not swear as they do if they could gain credit to what they say without it; but the incredulity of other provokes them to add many swear words to their single affirmations.
2. Others tell that they only swear in their passion when provoked by injuries received from others and if men did not wrong them, they would not swear.
3. Some plead that swearing has become “modish,” the badge of character for a man that gives them reputation among men of their own rank and quality, and that they would be looked upon as fools, unfit for their company, if they did no swear.
4. And some will confess the practice is evil, but that they have gotten into such an ill habit and the sin so customary, they don’t even know they are swearing.

I read those 4 points and think, he nailed it, nailed it, nailed it, and nailed it. People swear out of pure narcissism and keep doing it until it become pure negligence.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post