SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Righting a wrong: restoring a reputation I impugned wrongly
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Righting a wrong: restoring a reputation I impugned wrongly Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Some of you saw an ad recently in Classifieds, where a member- ncic99 - was selling several SIG firearms. In the ad, two guns were eventually marked as 'sold' and the member was not responding to questions in his ad. Another member asked about the two guns marked sold, which prompted me to ask the same question, as my suspicions were aroused at that point. No response. I intended to give ncic99 a couple of days to respond, planning to- at the least- admonish him for not monitoring his ad on a daily basis, but, more likely, catch him selling guns listed here, elsewhere- a violation of posted rules.

A member who in the thread requested photos advised me he had not gotten an email response. That was all it took for me to make up my mind. I gave ncic99 the full package- I edited his items out from the ad and revoked his permissions to place new ads in Classifieds and to view member profiles. I said some unkind things about the man's ethics.

When he contacted me via email, he explained - calmly, politely and in detail- that he had followed the rules as he understood them, and that he marked the two guns as sold, only as a matter of convenience. In fact, he had only withdrawn them from sale, deciding to keep them. He told me that he could have marked them as withdrawn, but decided on saying they were sold. In this way, he would not receive further queries or offers. This has happened before, with another member doing the same, so there is a rationale behind this behavior, and neither ncic99 nor the other member were aware of how this is viewed by me.

With regards to monitoring his ad, ncic99 referenced the rule addressing such things: "Response to queries by the other party should be prompt. Responses to emails should be made within 24 hours, unless mitigating circumstances exist."

This rule was written in 2008 and has remained unmodified. Notice that the rule refers to responding to emails within 24 hours. As with much of the policy in this forum, the expectation of monitoring one's ad every day is unwritten. At first, I balked at this, pointing out to him that the rule states "Response to queries by the other party should be prompt."

His response to this was as before- calm, polite and detailed. I told him he could feel free to re-post his items in a new ad. I deleted everything in the open forum about the matter.

I've told members here before that my conscience manifests itself as a tiny little man in my head. He has a hammer, and when I know I've made a mistake, that little bastard bangs on the inside of my skull until I make amends, or at least try to. He went to work on me day before yesterday. I contacted ncic99 and told him I realized I had treated him shabbily, and offered my apology, realizing that he had acted in good faith and adhered to the rules as he understood them. I invited him once again to re-post his items, and let him know that he is welcome as a member here.

This is someone with nearly a thousand posts in the forum, gentlemen. He registered here seventeen years ago, and though he has not been active in the last few years, this is someone who put in some time here, and in my zeal to stomp on yet another careless user of this forum, I stepped on someone who hasn't done anything wrong. Add to that the fact that he couldn't have been any more mature and even-handed in his response, and it's no wonder why my little man went to work with his hammer.

It's a tenuous thing, reputation- a lifetime to build and a minute to lose. In this instance, a man might not be comfortable attempting to transact business anywhere in the online gun community, not just this forum. I did point out to ncic99 that the number of readers of this forum who are aware of the matter would be somewhat more limited because it was an ad in Classifieds, but there was a thread in the Office as well which was up for a day.

I have already offered my apology to ncic99. This thread is not about that. This is about a man's reputation and undeserved accusations against it.

I am asking a favor of you guys. Anyone who wishes to do so, please respond to this and let ncic99 that you've seen it, and let him know if he's welcome here and if, having read this, you might be willing to conduct business with him.

To be crystal clear, the man did nothing wrong. He followed the rules as he understood them, not having been around much over the last few years and therefore has not been exposed to the unwritten policies. In terms of purchasing items he has for sale, you have my personal assurance that you can do so with confidence.

Thank you

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This place is the BEST!

Yes, sir, I have been following this. I would have no problems doing business with ncic99.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Wow Para, I've always appreciated over the years when you would step up and say you were wrong. Bravo.

Hey ncic99, I don't know you but I hope you return to the forum. This is literally the only forum where I have any form of trust in it's members.

Cheers!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Read and noted. This right here is why this is a good place.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I did see the discussion, and I have read this thread.

Having bought and sold a great number of items with members here and never encountering a bad experience, I would not hesitate to transact with ncic99.

I count SIGforum (the membership) as one of my greatest treasures in this life as well as many dear friends.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I saw and I read. I also would not hesitate in conducting business with ncic99.

Glad to see things were on the up and up!

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thoughtful and well stated post.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Well handled and with class.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Well spoken, sir!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, things happen. It is what happens after things happen.

Long time members along with new ones make this a great place.

The greatest of places.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I have read this and see it as another shining example of why this is literally the ONLY group online I am a participating member of in any fashion.

This is a good place, with good people. People who do occasionally make mistakes, yet act like gentlemen and admit them when they are out of line or in the wrong.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 570 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Thoughtful and well spoken, Sir.

Posts: 2777 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted Hide Post
I'm like that guy ncic99
Been here a couple years... couple posts.. more active in the day. But I still love this place. Lurk a little now, but still feel at home and trust the management.
ncic99 - if the boss apologized to you in the open forum. You would be honored to return and accept.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
ncic99, would not hesitate to do a transaction with you at any time.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I had not seen the ad or the Office post, but I've read this thread.
This is why this forum is the best on the internet - it has members with integrity and is lead by a man with great integrity.

Ncic99, I hope you will still feel welcome.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I too have been following this situation. ncic99 has unknowing shown us all three lessons for which we and all new members owe him a debt of gratitude: 1. If a problem arises, a calm statement of facts and circumstances will resolved the problem. 2. Talking to the owner like an adult and not like an emotional child will resolve the problem quickly. 3. The owner is a stand up guy. As one who has lurked here for many years, I have watched more than one member go down in flames for not understanding these three simple things. So ncic99, sorry you had a misunderstanding but you have provided a shinning example for others to follow. Good luck and God be with you.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
And this thread is an example of what I regularly point out as the opportunity arises - that it’s difficult for anyone to admit they’re wrong and apologize, much less a forum moderator when it comes to their moderation of their forum.

This is most notable to me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
I too have been following this situation. ncic99 has unknowing shown us all three lessons for which we and all new members owe him a debt of gratitude: 1. If a problem arises, a calm statement of facts and circumstances will resolved the problem. 2. Talking to the owner like an adult and not like an emotional child will resolve the problem quickly. 3. The owner is a stand up guy. As one who has lurked here for many years, I have watched more than one member go down in flames for not understanding these three simple things. So ncic99, sorry you had a misunderstanding but you have provided a shinning example for others to follow. Good luck and God be with you.

Perfectly stated.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just. Right.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Welcome ncic99..... You'll really love this place!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post