SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If people can’t get to work because gas prices are to high, when will the goobermint start giving them money and;
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If people can’t get to work because gas prices are to high, when will the goobermint start giving them money and; Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
What is the highest dollar per gallon which can be supported?

How much do you NEED to drive if gas was $6 a gallon - commonly - where you live?

That is: Only to work, plus "on the way" trips to grocery store (all others u b walkin)…

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If my costs get too high I raise my rates. It all rolls down hill... Eventually the most financially vulnerable will hurt the most. Sadly, too many of those most vulnerable vote for those who hurt them the most. It doesn't make sense to me.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both work 5 miles from the house. I have a work vehicle. We have a grocery store and gas stations 2 miles away. Son rides the bus to/from school.

Only things that really use gas are my son’s weekly activities and getting my daughter from my ex every couple weeks.

We could sustain some pretty high gas prices. Obviously don’t want to, but we could curtail extra driving and not suffer much at all.

Neither of our vehicles get very good fuel mileage. My Jeep 16-17mpg, her vehicle maybe 20-22mpg.

We specifically bought where we live with this in mind, after being sick of long commutes and putting 20,000+ miles a year on vehicles. I realize most people are not this fortunate, and I hope someone pulls their head out of their ass and we quit depending on other countries for our oil.

—-what’s really to be worried about is the impact $5.00+++ for diesel fuel will have on transportation costs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
At $6 a gallon that would be just over $6 a day for me.
26 MPG with winter gas and a 30 mile round trip.
I'll get around 30 in a couple months when the fuel changes.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neither of our vehicles get very good fuel mileage. My Jeep 16-17mpg, her vehicle maybe 20-22mpg.

My Land Cruiser is due for tags.
At 10 MPG it's just going to become driveway art.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it was $5/gallon in 2007 or so before the real estate collapse, people seriously thought about dumping SUV's and Trucks and buying more economical cars. That's how people in Europe and other countries deal with much higher gas prices.

My Civic Si 6-speed manual gets 40 MPG on the highway and 30 in city/mixed. My commute was 62-ish miles each way so I burn 3 gallons a day. 15-20 a week. At $5 a gallon that's $75-$100 a week. Or about 4K-5K a year. Tolerable but not great. Incrementally a couple grand more than it would be for $2-$3 a gallon. Add it needs premium. My previous car - WRX - got about 25 MPG and took premium so that was like 5 gallons a day.

Not great but not a huge deal for me. For someone making entry level pay, it would hurt a lot.

I've been saving money on gas since I've been working at home for two years, but all of that and more has gone into gun parts to build shit at home to keep from going stir crazy.

Regular is about $4 in Indy metro area now. When it gets above $5/gallon I expect people will be vocal. realistically $10/gallon is probably the throw the politicians out NOW level.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sadly, these costs will soon be transferred through other parts of the economy and also passed on to consumers & further magnify the ineptitude of this administration.

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My wife and I work at the same company - her part time - and on different schedules, so we'll just start driving together in her car that gets better gas mileage than my truck and I'll work from home at least 1 day per week.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
What is the highest dollar per gallon which can be supported?

How much do you NEED to drive if gas was $6 a gallon - commonly - where you live?

That is: Only to work, plus "on the way" trips to grocery store (all others u b walkin)…

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder how much the fuel price increase is due to a desire to push the public to EVs, and solar panels. You know, to save the planet.

I suspect it is at least a rationalization that it "isn't such a bad thing."

Posts: 6504 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m reading that all these big companies, the DOD etc are finally making all their office people come back into work in the office, no more full time WFH like they’ve been doing the past two years now.

This should go over well; people who’ve gotten spoiled about not having to spend money to commute will be facing (at the rate we are going IMO) $10/gal gas! Eek

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I have to wonder how much the fuel price increase is due to a desire to push the public to EVs, and solar panels. You know, to save the planet.

I suspect it is at least a rationalization that it "isn't such a bad thing."

I suspect this is 100% what Biden had in mind with his "first day executive orders" that turned America into an oil importer instead of an exporter. Just my opinion though.

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A while back I averaged car costs including insurance, fuel, and maintenance across a couple years and found the IRS mileage rate then at about 55 cents/mile was actually pretty accurate. This made costs easier to judge. Driving to town to get groceries included a $12 driving cost since we live a bit away from the metro. Going to a big box hardware store or Costco cost around $14. Using Amazon or such to have things delivered started to look better at times. Combining trips starting to minimize costs had quantifiable savings.

That said, most people I know don't seem to pay attention to gas prices at all.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Not just your opinion but fact based on what the Democrats stated they wanted to do. And followed by actions taken by Biden the first day in office.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The goobermint gives people money now, and you don't even have to go to work!

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWills:

I suspect this is 100% what Biden had in mind with his "first day executive orders" that turned America into an oil importer instead of an exporter. Just my opinion though.

Yup, except I'm sure the democrats were hoping that it would take a little longer for gas prices to get this high. At this rate, the frog is going to jump out of the pot long before the water starts boiling.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work from home, wife doesn’t work. We will start planning our trips for efficiency and cut out superfluous trips.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by MWills:

Yup, except I'm sure the democrats were hoping that it would take a little longer for gas prices to get this high. At this rate, the frog is going to jump out of the pot long before the water starts boiling.

Idiot Granholm (excuse the redundancy) said it out loud when she laughed at the idea of increasing US production.

Who benefits from the U.S. cutting production and pushing "green energy"? Russia sells more oil to the rest of the world, China sells more solar panels to the US, and a lot of shit that goes into EV's.

China has 1.4 billion people and keeps building Coal power plants and using fossil fuels. They do have a fair amount of natural gas vehicles on the road, especially Beijing taxis. Nothing like getting a compact size taxi at the airport and half the trunk is an LNG tank. If you don't travel light, and have more than two people, shit won't fit. They also are implementing electric buses (along with LNG) in high pollution cities.

Nothing we do to lower our "carbon footprint" will made a damn bit of difference if China, Russia, and India do not participate, which presupposes that you believe "The Climate Science Consensus" in the first place.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:

My Land Cruiser is due for tags.
At 10 MPG it's just going to become driveway art.

Yeah, I was kicking myself for not locking in the last year LC, but it was stupid expensive, and didn't get much better than 10. Maybe 13? V8 and 4WD (full time I believe).

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That is an argument that really pisses of leftists. They really think hobbling the US with electric cars and reduced fossil fuels will “save the world”. They don’t get it that China, India, Russia, etc and just Abbott every 2nd and 3rd world countries don’t give a shit and are using oil and coal at rates they couldn’t comprehend.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Nothing we do to lower our "carbon footprint" will made a damn bit of difference if China, Russia, and India do not participate, which presupposes that you believe "The Climate Science Consensus" in the first place.

Nothing the human race does, short of 100% deforestation (never happen) or nuclear holocaust (probably never happen), will make a single bit of difference in earth's overall climate.

The lefties give us far too much credit. We are insignificant parasites on this big old rock and Mother Nature rules...always.

Until they can figure out how to adjust the thermostat on the sun, we just get to ride it out and live with what Mom gives us.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post