SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Age Change?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Age Change? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
If somebody that is elderly tells you that "this is the BEST time of my life" they are a lieing POS!

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell, I'm still relatively young at barely 35, but already have two bad knees, sciatica, and a compressed nerve in my shoulder.

But then, LE ages you in dog years.

I can't wait to see what 45 feels like...

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 46, I have to stretch, much more frequently than when I was younger, usually at the beginning of the day and before bed on a regular basis. Right now, I have a shoulder who's range of motion is not like the other side, healing is definitely taking its time.
Rest Ice Compress and Elevate have pretty much become a mantra for every injury after playing softball, a bike ride or, even when i'm giving a hand helping to move things.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
kidcop says "It's not the age, it's the mileage" and while that is true enough as far as it goes, it's the age too.

I stay in decent shape, and I've never abused my body...ie, participated in recreational or exercise activities that are hard on the joints. My jobs have almost always been more mental than physical, but not sedentary.

At around 50, I became the poster child for "A good morning is when nothing NEW hurts." Shoulders, hips, knees, back...something (and sometimes everything) aches every day. Just part of getting older. I could still do pretty much everything I ever did, I just had to deal with aches and pains during and after.

At about 65, I had to start saying no to jobs I'd normally have taken on: Roofing, flooring, stoop gardening, mechanic work that required me to be on my knees or under a vehicle without a lift. Anything that required acute bending or kneeling, or extended out-of-position work. I either couldn't do it at all, or the price paid in aches and pains after just wasn't worth it.

Lately (I'll be 70 in October) I've noticed my grip is weaker, my balance is off and my endurance is shit. I've been building a stick-built greenhouse for my daughter. I show up at her place around 8:00am and by 1:00pm I'm done for the day - too tired to work safely. I've been taking a 1 or 2 hour nap every afternoon for a couple of years now. Actually started that as my schedule permitted 12 years ago when I packed it in and started on SS but now it's damn near mandatory.

I'm still active and the PA at my last annual said I was, and I quote, "Disgustingly healthy". I'm on maintenance meds for BP and cholesterol but my numbers are right in the middle of the range with them, my overall muscle tone is good and I can do anything I ever could - just not as hard or for as long.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I'm turning 50 this year, and attend the academy at 43. No way I could do it now, just a few years later.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was in my late teens, early 20's I could tell it was going to rain two days ahead of time by the pain in my knees. When I was 25 it was the same thing with my hands and elbows. Old man shit way too young.

I always joke that I noticed the change in my 40s, the change being when I got into a hot car in the summer time. Most of my life I'd have been dancing around on the seat going "Oooh, damn! Hot!" At some point it changed to sitting there going "Oooh, damn, that feels good."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any advice on how to stop the amount of hair growing out of my nose and ears would be appreciated. It seems that after age 50 I became a walking Chia Pet advertisement. Now in my 60's, it seems to be increasing even more! Does it stop at age 70?

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
When I was in my late teens, early 20's I could tell it was going to rain two days ahead of time by the pain in my knees.

Same. I have "old man knee" when the weather is changing.

Mine started in my early 20s, a few years before my first knee surgery.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW - will be 80 in August. Own 2 small rural properties and still try to do as much of the work as I can. Do not stop working at things you can still do with some degree of safety. I have had fusion surgery in my neck and lower back, plus other issues that would bore you. Power equipment helps, just be wise about its use.
Regards to all.
Black horse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhorse4:
FWIW - will be 80 in August. Own 2 small rural properties and still try to do as much of the work as I can. Do not stop working at things you can still do with some degree of safety. I have had fusion surgery in my neck and lower back, plus other issues that would bore you. Power equipment helps, just be wise about its use.
Regards to all.
Black horse4
No excuse. Just because you are 80, doesn't mean you cant post more. You have a whole 38 posts. We expect to hear/read more of you. Thank you.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I would like to preserve a sharp mind as long as possible because of my job, but I don't think I really have that much control of it, so like all old smart guys, I plan to keep on keepin on and deal with it like everyone else.

On the physical front, the most noticable change is my lack of former strength. I was a weight and power lifter when I was young, ran 50 miles per week while doing that (stupid I know), cycled to work 26 miles per day etc. I THINK those things have helped me for where I'm at now, but have have lost LOTS, rather TONS of raw strength. Also lost lots of flexibility and balance. I do miss the strength however, because when I need it, it just isn't there, MIA. I seem to only miss it when I need it, versus wanting and using it all the time when I was young even though I didn't actually need it back then. But damn it came in handy back then. Sometimes for stupid shit like moving small cars sideways in parking spaces to confuse and piss off their owners, and moving other asundry large objects around for without a goal other than having fun and laughs. Funny thing though, I have zero photos to prove to anyone that I was an Arnold, as my wife says she can't believe all of it without photos. Good memories though. The other day I told a young man that he was stronger than I was when I was his age, after he picked up a 200 lb. cast cement planting pot and put it in the bed of my truck. I was lying to him but I wanted to thank him for destroying his back for my benefit.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
I am 93, we had to quit skiing 11 years ago, because both of us had balance problems. Wife same age thinks she could still ski if she hadn't given her gear to DIL. I cut down dead apricot tree this afternoon just to keep busy, so keep on truckin' Chicoms didn't kill me in Korea still trying to get me with the Chicom crud. Screw 'em.

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Hell, I'm still relatively young at barely 35, but already have two bad knees, sciatica, and a compressed nerve in my shoulder.

Amen brother. And it catches up to you all at once.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
I am 93, we had to quit skiing 11 years ago, because both of us had balance problems. Wife same age thinks she could still ski if she hadn't given her gear to DIL. I cut down dead apricot tree this afternoon just to keep busy, so keep on truckin' Chicoms didn't kill me in Korea still trying to get me with the Chicom crud. Screw 'em.

Keep on flipping Death the bird!

Enjoy every day that you snatch out of Death's hands.

God Bless, you and yours.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
77 come June. Got Leukemia, CLL type, lot of orthopedic surgeries & paralyzed right foot due to military connected spinal injuries. Feel darn good since I quit taking statin meds in March of this year. Need to get back to the gym as soon as they open. We are all still about 18 years old in our mind, only problem is the rest of us gets older. Hang in there!!!

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post