SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thousands of Amazon workers listen to recordings from Alexa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thousands of Amazon workers listen to recordings from Alexa Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's like the early days of the Internet before NAT when everyone got a public IP and firewalls were not common.
This product will have to go through a security evolution sooner or later.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
You mean Amazon employees have heard me say “Alexa turn on my kitchen lights” a thousand times???? Roll Eyes

Sure. They could also hear you when you get intimate with your wife/girlfriend, when you fight with each other, when you talk about the neighbors or the in-laws. Whatever. But if all you ever say in the vicinity of your Amazon Echo device is "Turn on the kitchen lights", than that's all it will ever hear, sure.

Show me one piece of evidence that the employees listen to conversation without the wake word? These devices only record when the wake work (Alexa, ok google, hey Siri) are said. I can log in to my account and listen to every recording they have access to. I don’t know about you but I don’t usually say the word Alexa in the middle of sex.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
An Amazon Echo recorded a family’s conversation, then sent it to a random person in their contacts, report says

You don't have to say Alexa, the Echo just has to hear a word that sounds close to Alexa.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
These devices only record when the wake work (Alexa, ok google, hey Siri) are said. I can log in to my account and listen to every recording they have access to. I don’t know about you but I don’t usually say the word Alexa in the middle of sex.
Ahh, I see. So, then, the key to having a listening device in your home is to know how to manage the listening device. Got it.

Don't slip up, though. Make sure you follow whatever procedure you need to follow to make sure that the listening device you have voluntarily brought into your home (you even pay to have your home bugged!) does not hear anything you wouldn't want it to hear.

Freaking insanity, OK? This is insanity. Just unreal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
These devices only record when the wake work (Alexa, ok google, hey Siri) are said. I can log in to my account and listen to every recording they have access to. I don’t know about you but I don’t usually say the word Alexa in the middle of sex.

Ah yeah, sure. That's right. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Show me one piece of evidence that the employees listen to conversation without the wake word? These devices only record when the wake work (Alexa, ok google, hey Siri) are said. I can log in to my account and listen to every recording they have access to. I don’t know about you but I don’t usually say the word Alexa in the middle of sex.

Do you own a bridge?

Would you like to own one?

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have it on good authority that placing Alexa or similar devices into the microwave and running the microwave for no more than 30 seconds, will give you better control over when the devices listen.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmm...how do you suppose it picks up the word "Alexa"?

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:

Do you own a bridge?

Would you like to own one?

His funds are currently tied up in a beach front property I sold to him here just North of Denver. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used to wonder at the things people would accept in the name of convenience, of being entertained, or saving a buck or two.

Not so much, any more

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

In order to hear the commands any device that has voice response programming needs an input device, a microphone, and in order for the software to react to the key works "hey siri" or "Alexa" the microphone must be active 100% of the time.

Otherwise you'd need to press a button or flip a switch to activate the microphone.

It's always on listening for key words to start response software.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Alexa, ranks up there with DNA testing and letting your insurance company monitor your driving.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Anyone that thinks these devices aren’t listening 24/7 only have to look at what ads pop up at random. A buddy and his friend were talking about a particular brand of mattress. No “Hey Alexa”, just having a conversation. Within the hour, ads for the mattress magically appear.

And no, you don’t have to say the key word “Alexa” to be eavesdropped on. Orwell was spot on.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
^^^True^^^
I was at my friends place and he didn't believe me that he was being listened to by his Alexa. I started talking about a coffee maker and said the brand and model out loud a few times in ear shot of his wire tap. Before we left after dinner he had ads on his Amazon home screen for that exact product.
They are abso-fucking-lutely listening to you 100% of the time.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“I can log in to my account and listen to every recording they have access to.”

How does anyone know that? Because they say so? How difficult would it be for them to separate what’s heard by and recorded by the listening device into the conversations that start, “Hey, Alexa,” and everything else that doesn’t? The account holder gets to listen to the first, but doesn’t know the other even exists.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAAFbN33bw

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post