SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I want to know how many Democrats are going to vote McCarthy just to get this shit over with.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I want to know how many Democrats are going to vote McCarthy just to get this shit over with.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The group of 20 can't elect the next speaker but they sure can influence the process. Good. A little chaos in the swamp is a good thing.

If KM doesn't win it by today he's effectively been gutted as a leader and the Republicans will probably pick someone like Scalise.

Zero Dems will cross over to support KM be ause to get their support, he'd have to make promises and concessions and if he'll do it for the Dems, he can do it for the 20.

The 20 will have to give up something in their demands and KM will have to concede something of value too but if he's not elected today, I think he's done and will be clouded with being unable to bring concensous to his own party and likely never with the Dems.

Posts: 4064 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going for the 5th round. Didn’t someone (Einstein?) say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Going for the 5th round. Didn’t someone (Einstein?) say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

I don’t think that’s what’s happening…

There are constant conversations in dialogue of strategery going on that change the calculus for every vote. Fourth vote was for Byron Donald. Let’s see who pops up in number five.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I was watching the conversation during the last count verification, their was a lot of heated discussion with a lot of animation.

I sure wanted to bitch slap that smirk off of McCarthy’s face.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4806 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Everything's gonna be just fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd say I'm fairly ignorant regarding all this, but I'd say, despite being knocked off various commitees, why not elect Jordon or Scalise? They are good conservatives.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

I don’t think that’s what’s happening…

There are constant conversations in dialogue of strategery going on that change the calculus for every vote. Fourth vote was for Byron Donald. Let’s see who pops up in number five.

Same thing in vote number 5. Donald again, and he already has enough votes to ensure that McCarthy can’t win.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Scalise would be my choice, leave Jordan where he is most effective.

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I don’t see much opportunity for substantive bargaining or agreements if the just do vote after vote after vote.

Why not adjourn, have some private heart to heart negotiations amongst the GOP leadership and reach an agreement BEFORE taking the vote and looking like fools (again).

Make the concessions the freedom caucus is asking for, allow the rule change to revert the process of removing a speaker that Nancy changed.

Agree to bring a term limits bill (we all know it will never pass, a majority will never vote itself out of power).

Biggest problem this country has faced for years is the extremes get farther and farther apart and no one is interested in compromise or putting effort into the stuff that can be agreed on.

I hate Pelosi as much as anyone, but she knew how count and didn’t bring stuff up if she didn’t know what the outcome would be.

And I agree with others, I think Jordan might do more good chairing the judiciary committee.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I don’t see much opportunity for substantive bargaining or agreements if the just do vote after vote after vote.

Why not adjourn, have some private heart to heart negotiations amongst the GOP leadership and reach an agreement BEFORE taking the vote and looking like fools (again).

I hate Pelosi as much as anyone, but she knew how count and didn’t bring stuff up if she didn’t know what the outcome would be.

And I agree with others, I think Jordan might do more good chairing the judiciary committee.

That's why the adjourned last night on a voice vote and didn't proceed to a 4th vote.
Obviously hearts and minds weren't changed.

Posts: 4064 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Scalise would be my choice, leave Jordan where he is most effective.

Agree

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4806 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

Just before Christmas… $1.7 Trillion more pork.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Just before Christmas… $1.7 Trillion more pork.

That IS what this is all about...
The 5 people in that picture are destroying this country. A few people in the HoR are trying to change that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23926 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the congressional UKR Zelenskyy head-fake to distract your attention from the bullshit they were shoving through Congress.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They don't have to actually vote McCarthy, all they have to do is not vote at all.

The Democrats know McCarthy is a fellow swamp creature and will make sure someone like Jim Jordan does not become Speaker.

Eh, the donkeys have been feeling kinda cocky lately and having someone other that McCarthy in the lead might seem to them like the creation of a crippled (bare) majority.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It appears to me that the holdouts will not be won over by any negotiations -- they just do not want McCarthy under any circumstances. The problem is that there may not be anyone else who has even the level of support that McCarthy does, so where do they go? If if eventually becomes one where the person with a plurality is elected, then we'll have Democrat Jeffries as the Speaker, and all will be lost.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It appears to me that the holdouts will not be won over by any negotiations -- they just do not want McCarthy under any circumstances. The problem is that there may not be anyone else who has even the level of support that McCarthy does, so where do they go? If if eventually becomes one where the person with a plurality is elected, then we'll have Democrat Jeffries as the Speaker, and all will be lost.

flashguy

I would ask why won’t McCarthy capitulate to the demands?

The 20+ want to put the rules back to pre-Pelosi and pre-Ryan tenures. (Like it was for 100 years previously.)

And honestly Kevin McCarthy should take the same damn test. If it’s best for the country that he stepped aside so the Republicans can move ahead to rule… Then he should do so, and get his ego out of the way.

See how that logic cuts both ways?

~Robert A. Heinlein