SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
Perhaps they are just flexing their muscles voting against McCarthy but voting for and having a Dem win as SOTH would completely screw up any agenda the right had in mind.

If it were the Dems, they'd all be in lock step.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
The Dems ARE in lockstep.
They have 212 seats.
Every vote so far has had 212 votes for Jeffries.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I heard Jim Jordan's speech, nominating Kevin McCarthy. Good speech.
Then I heard Matt Gaetz nominating Jim Jordan... also good.

If I had a vote, I'd support Jim Jordan.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23932 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
The Dems ARE in lockstep.
They have 212 seats.
Every vote so far has had 212 votes for Jeffries.

I think that's what I said.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
If it were the Dems, they'd all be in lock step.

Not quite Smile

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
If Jim Jordon was speaker of the house ... he would be locked into that role and out of other roles. Jim Jordon would be best not being speaker of the house and rather head up various investigations, something that he is very good at doing.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I had a vote, I'd support Jim Jordan.

I too would like Jordan, but the fact of the matter is he's not nominated and it would take an unprecedented revolt by the rank and file Republicans to oust McCarthy and insert Jordan at this point. Not gonna happen. So, they need to be realistic and show a united front. McCarthy's not ideal, but at least he has conservative views. How many Dems voted for McCarthy? zero. All of this infighting must have Biden wringing his ice-cream hands.

-D.H. Lawrence

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
If Jim Jordon was speaker of the house ... he would be locked into that role and out of other roles. Jim Jordon would be best not being speaker of the house and rather head up various investigations, something that he is very good at doing.

This is a good/valid point. Jim needs to lead some much needed investigations.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2655 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
takes 218 votes. 212 is a close miss but a miss and 6 gop will not cross over. don't get caught up in the theater and there's not a damned thing we can do anyway. most news will be biased and have an agenda especially FOX.

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too would like Jordan, but the fact of the matter is he's not nominated

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps they are just flexing their muscles voting against McCarthy but voting for and having a Dem win as SOTH would completely screw up any agenda the right had in mind.

That's not going to happen.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
I too would like Jordan, but the fact of the matter is he's not nominated

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y24GGCb7tRc" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Okay... You know what I meant.

-D.H. Lawrence

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Saw spot on FOX with Chip Roy (R-Texas) as to his resistance to McCarthy. He believes McCarthy is to much a part of the swamp establishment.
Seems, listening to Roy, as though McCarthy has given into the Democrats too much in his role of Minority Leader.
Makes a lot of sense to me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4126 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
https://www.congressionalinsti...lects-its-speaker-2/

To win the Speakership, a person must secure a simple majority of those present and voting. If each of the 435 Representatives-elect votes for a candidate, the majority would be 218. For each person who answers present or otherwise does not vote, the threshold to win a majority decreases. In effect, the threshold decreases by a vote for every two people who answer present or do not participate. So if 433 Members vote, a candidate would need 217 votes to win the Speakership.

With all 212 votes, the opposition party has shown who it wants as the minority leader. They can now start voting present or not vote at all, and once they reach @46 present / no vote, cancel out the 19 who are voting against the lead candidate.

Stranger things have happened.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have little faith that McCarthy will be a strong conservative in the same way that Pelosi was for the Democrats. I have none whatsoever.

Jordon would be better but he wants to chair the Judiciary Committee and he can't do that as Speaker.

It would be disaster for Jefferies to hold the gavel because he'd allow any impeachment of any official.

If the holdouts don't get concessions they will be rendered moot, except for party line votes. This is their best chance to extract their priorities. If they vote for McCarthy based on his promises, that's meaningless.

McCarthy is a RINO with a conservative bent but he's not conservative or fiscally prudent.

Posts: 4068 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
takes 218 votes. 212 is a close miss but a miss and 6 gop will not cross over. don't get caught up in the theater and there's not a damned thing we can do anyway. most news will be biased and have an agenda especially FOX.
The bad thing about this is that the one time multiple votes did not yield a winner, they passed a resolution that on the next vote, whoever had the plurality (most votes) would be the Speaker. If that were to happen now, Jeffries (the Democrat) would win, and that would be disastrous.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
This should have all been worked out behind the scenes, doing this in front of the press lets them know they can bully McCarthy moving forward and who they need to smear first on the R side, Bobert, Roy, Gaetz.

A unified front on the R side would have had tactical advantages that are lost now.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
McCarthy is a RINO with a conservative bent but he's not conservative or fiscally prudent.

Yep.
It wouldn't be a disaster if he eventually gets it, but I am glad to see they aren't just handing it to him.
You guys are always saying the conservatives need to stand up to the RINOs. Well... this is what that looks like.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23932 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
This should have all been worked out behind the scenes, doing this in front of the press lets them know they can bully McCarthy moving forward and who they need to smear first on the R side, Bobert, Roy, Gaetz.

A unified front on the R side would have had tactical advantages that are lost now.

Yes, but the far right has to make the correct noises or fall victim to some other far right candidate in the next primary.

Remember, politics is almost entirely about getting re-elected, and only about something else by accident or coincidence.

The dissenters have to prove up their far right bona fides.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
I have little faith that McCarthy will be a strong conservative in the same way that Pelosi was for the Democrats. I have none whatsoever.

Pelosi isn't as far left as she could be. (Remember how she told Ocasio-Cortez to put a sock in it?) I can't stand her, but she has little ideological purity. She is a general lefty, but more about power than about ideology.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post