SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Because he assumed that they were bluffing, or would quickly knuckle under pressure after a few failed votes.

Exactly! That's the way it has always worked in the past. I think what happened to Trump woke a few of them up. They should be applauded not criticized for taking the stand.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Won't be surprised if a backroom deal isn't struck to flip enough Dems to drag him across the finish line, thus negating the “Insurgents”.

Deal would have Dems' political agenda pushed through; no examination of Hunter B's laptop; and some favorable committee assignments.

Proving once again that the Stupid Party can't govern without the Evil Party telling them how high to jump.
Dear lord, I hardly think we're quite there yet. They just adjourned until 10, and that vote was exactly along party lines. I mean, I'll try not to be surprised, but I think it's way early, and silly...

KM would be giving up ALL of his control if he were to mastermind something like that. If any other members chose that course they'd be abused for the next 2 years, only the MSM would love them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Gaetz is using it as a fundraising opportunity. Received this text in the last 5 minutes:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hey, how come I didn't get mine?

THANK GOD!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
he is worried about looking like a dick and he is one

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
This is what will happen, a bathroom stall agreement with Jeffries will be made. In the dark of night there will be for one reason or another enough democrats not able to make a vote bringing down the threshold of votes needed by McCarthy to win. No way will a democrat vote for a republican. It would harm them in their district. Then some time when Jefferies wants a vote or payment back he will call in McCarthy to help him with his zipper. Who loses? We the people!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think the holdouts will be convinced to vote "Present".

Both sides win.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I think the holdouts will be convinced to vote "Present".

Both sides win.

It would not work that way the threshold would still be too high. And if republicans don’t show Jefferies would win

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, it would bring down the needed threshold to give him the win. Could be wrong though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
To become speaker you need the majority votes present over a quorum. There are 434 currently so the threshold to win with a full house present 218 votes. There are 212 democrats, 222 Republicans. A present vote is a vote for no one but present. So because you need to lower the representatives present to lower the threshold Democrats or republicans would have to be a no show.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Rumor is that it is either 2/6 need to flip their vote, or 3/6 (hold-outs) need to vote present.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected,Ok I see that is does count if voted present 12 people would have to vote present to for Jefferies to win with 212 less if McCarthy has 214 or people not to vote at all onto be present.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If this reporter is right, we may be near the end of this saga. The vote started at 10:00PM.

Series of tweets:

https://threadreaderapp.com/th...527015726735360.html

BREAKING: Source tells me the closed-room background why the 14 are now backing McCarthy.

THREAD

HRC=House Republican Conference

https://twitter.com/JennaEllis.../1611527015726735360

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Blue skies

He who laughs last, laughs best.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Appears the only way McCarthy can win is if Gaetz votes for him.

Do I hear 15?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, damn, Kev.

Well, shit, it's the weekend. Have a cocktail and take a break.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I was watching Newsmax when they called it, and the reporter said, "This is like watching a really big daycare."

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My last cocktail...

McCarthy's last speaker vote...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It appears Gaetz is switching his vote.

McCarthy wins.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It appears Gaetz is switching his vote.

McCarthy wins.

Nope. Voting present. Tune in Monday for week 2 of the clown show. Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post