SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It appears to me that the holdouts will not be won over by any negotiations -- they just do not want McCarthy under any circumstances. The problem is that there may not be anyone else who has even the level of support that McCarthy does, so where do they go? If if eventually becomes one where the person with a plurality is elected, then we'll have Democrat Jeffries as the Speaker, and all will be lost.

flashguy

That ain't ever going to happen, no matter how much hatred the holdouts have for McCarthy. Because, if that happens, they will have signed their political career's death sentence, and they accomplished nothing, except handing the gavel back to the commies, imo.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Scalise as well. He has come back well from his injuries and I think he has a good perspective on things. Plus he is from Louisiana. Coming from that state he knows how to fight and get things done.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The 20 and McCarthy will have to adjourn after the next vote, or even now, to hammer this out.

If McCarthy doesn't make significant concessions, every time he's not elected weakens him to the point that no one will take him serious. I prefer Scalise over KM but KM seems firm on his rules with having no concessions, at least ones the 20 can live with.

I like this dysfunction because it shows a little glimpse into the world of politics that rarely gets covered.

The Dems don't want KM because he supposedly is going to let the Republicans investigate quite a few things and the 20 know that they can keep holding out. This is their moment to shine because if they cave on their demands, KM will punish them for the next two years and perhaps campaign or push PAC money towards their Republican opponents in 2024.

Posts: 4064 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m alright with the stalemate. McCarthy doesn’t represent me. The holdouts to his coronation were elected by conservatives who don’t want, or expect the Republican Party to continue rolling over and showing its belly. What’s the latest, are the “no” votes for McCarthy growing or shrinking?

Posts: 13156 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
What’s the latest, are the “no” votes for McCarthy growing or shrinking?

round 1: 19
round 2: 19
round 3: 20
round 4: 20
round 5: 20
round 6: 20

Edit to add:
The last 3 rounds also had someone vote "present".

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I would ask why won’t McCarthy capitulate to the demands?

The demands from the Freedom Caucus sound reasonable to me.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16603 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
OK, I nominate Marjorie Taylor Green for Speaker of the House! Big Grin

Heads would Splode... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8766 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I would ask why won’t McCarthy capitulate to the demands?

The demands from the Freedom Caucus sound reasonable to me.

I’m very sure those aren’t all of their demands, and those aren’t the sticking points. Promise to hold a vote on something? Fine, hold a vote. Even if something manages to pass, it still has to get through the Senate and then get signed by the President. That’s an easy promise to make and keep.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just want us to reach the 69th round of voting on Valentine's Day. Smile

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
OK, I nominate Marjorie Taylor Green for Speaker of the House! Big Grin

Heads would Splode... Razz

She’d get even fewer votes than Donald.

Posts: 3321 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
What a clown show.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they come back, they need to nominate someone other than McCarthy, someone who actually has a chance of winning. Don’t see doing a deal with the Dems would work, because that would cause McCarthy to lose a lot of Republican votes, and he still wouldn’t have enough. Think McCarthy is done.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It appears to me that the holdouts will not be won over by any negotiations -- they just do not want McCarthy under any circumstances. The problem is that there may not be anyone else who has even the level of support that McCarthy does, so where do they go? If if eventually becomes one where the person with a plurality is elected, then we'll have Democrat Jeffries as the Speaker, and all will be lost.

flashguy

That ain't ever going to happen, no matter how much hatred the holdouts have for McCarthy. Because, if that happens, they will have signed their political career's death sentence, and they accomplished nothing, except handing the gavel back to the commies, imo.

I’m often amazed at how people craft these fantasies to further being miserable in their minds.

What is equally amazing is people that are buying the liberal media narrative that this little dust up is somehow bad or negative. What it goes to show is few people have the stomach for what Democrat hard ball looks like. I have often, and repeatedly, that the reason we have weak Republican leadership is because we have weak republicans. The people that want to go along with the flow, and not upset the gravy train are far too often the greatest critics of politics as usual. This ain’t politics as usual boys.

This is long overdue and hopefully a sign of things to come.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37072 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I just want us to reach the 69th round of voting on Valentine's Day. Smile

Me too and Valentine's day would be perfect for some Rim Sugar as well !

Posts: 916 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take this for what it is worth but KM is getting desperate. Watch the first 3:30 minutes.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1362 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Matt Gaetz reports a 'Squatter' in the Speaker's Office... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8766 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gaetz is kind of an asshole. He is damn lucky he is not in jail as his sidekicks are facing serious time. He is too much of a narcissist for me. He likes to stir up controversy.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Gaetz is kind of an asshole. He is damn lucky he is not in jail as his sidekicks are facing serious time. He is too much of a narcissist for me. He likes to stir up controversy.

Pretty sure John Adams said the same thing about Thomas Jefferson… lol

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Persistence in the face of the manufactured appearance of inevitability. That seems promising. Let's do more of that to the Dems, too.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post