SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't Republicans stand together Vis a vis votes for SOTH Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^
quote:
In any event this is not what this thread is about.

Correct!
Isn't it a shame that when *they* (whoever they are) don't want to confront the substance of the argument they attack the character of the person speaking rather than what is said?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23930 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I guilty of thread drift. Yup. Convicted. Guilty as charged. I won't be the first or last guilty of that on SF. But that doesn't excuse it.

To get back to what the thread is about - why can't Republicans stand together - I wonder the same thing. Wish they would. I do wonder if they would have been resolved it by now if there were no TV cameras.

Posts: 1036 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Am I guilty of thread drift. Yup. Convicted. Guilty as charged. I won't be the first or last guilty of that on SF. But that doesn't excuse it.

To get back to what the thread is about - why can't Republicans stand together - I wonder the same thing. Wish they would. I do wonder if they would have been resolved it by now if there were no TV cameras.

This thread has reached 10 pages and no one here has sufficiently explained to you the reason that this is going on in the Speaker of the House election? I’ll take (another) shot at it.

Republicans are not “standing together” because there are 21, newly or recently elected Republicans that are tired of the Party doing business as usual. They do not trust McCarthy to put up a fight against Biden and the Dems for the remaining 2 years of Biden’s term. It “appears” that their resistance is bearing fruit in the form of significant concessions from McCarthy. The Washington establishment of the GOP needed something to draw their attention to those of us drawn to the stated principles of the Party, but unhappy about the way Republicans in Congress manifest the responsibility given them by the electorate.

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:

This thread has reached 10 pages and no one here has sufficiently explained to you the reason that this is going on in the Speaker of the House election? I’ll take (another) shot at it.

Republicans are not “standing together” because there are 21, newly or recently elected Republicans that are tired of the Party doing business as usual. They do not trust McCarthy to put up a fight against Biden and the Dems for the remaining 2 years of Biden’s term. It “appears” that their resistance is bearing fruit in the form of significant concessions from McCarthy. The Washington establishment of the GOP needed something to draw their attention to those of us drawn to the stated principles of the Party, but unhappy about the way Republicans in Congress manifest the responsibility given them by the electorate.

Don't you think this could/should have been worked out once the Nov vote was over. Do you think Nancy ever didn't know how each senator would vote on something. If she didn't have to votes to pass something, she'd work that out until enough votes where forthcoming. I know SOTH is somewhat different than a straight forward bill but it's the same principle. McCarthy should of known about these hold outs and handled it behind closed doors rather than turning into a spectacle that the Dems will use as talking points against the GOP

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Don't you think this could/should have been worked out once the Nov vote was over. Do you think Nancy ever didn't know how each senator would vote on something. If she didn't have to votes to pass something, she'd work that out until enough votes where forthcoming. I know SOTH is somewhat different than a straight forward bill but it's the same principle. McCarthy should of known about these hold outs and handled it behind closed doors rather than turning into a spectacle that the Dems will use as talking points against the GOP

McCarthy did meet with this group prior,

They offered up some things they wanted and he flat out told them no, go pound sand.

McCarthy felt he had SOTH locked up, he even moved his stuff into the speakers offices.

Now he's paying for it, the problem isn't the 20+ or so people who wanted change, its the 180+ RINO's who keep voting for him, making it 12 consecutive votes of zero chance, they know it's zero, and the vote should be held until either McCarthy stops his bid or they negotiate a solution.

No doubt that if they put up anyone but McCarthy, someone who will work with everyone on the R side then that person would get the job.

Since he's unwilling to accept changes and move into a more conservative position then he's not the person we need, just because it's his turn doesn't mean he's the right guy....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yup! It's my understanding that the Freedom Caucus has been 'trying' to negotiate with McCarthy since November. Maybe what 'appears' to be a spectacle is actually just a symptom of the MUCH larger problem with the GOP leadership and establishment et al. It's possible that the most recent debacle/utter failure of the GOP, the Anti-American Omnibus Bill, became the tipping point where the conservatives in the GOP had simply had enough! Regardless, how the sausage is made, or NOT being made is on full display here.

Apparently McCarthy's position prior to the FIRST vote for Speaker was, 'My Way or the Highway' as he indicated he was unwilling to compromise on pretty much ANYTHING! Not sure if that was before or after he had his staffers move all of his shit into the Speaker's Office though... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8772 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Excellent break down of what is really happening besides the shouts of crap from Lamestream Media and Pundits:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Moving on to the Ninth Vote.

So, let's bet the outcome.

Over = 19 votes, McCarthy selected

Spot on = 16 votes, McCarthy selected

Under = 11 votes, McCarthy selected

Alternate outcome = 12 Votes and McCarthy withdraws

Now the twelfth vote.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31364 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Representative Matt Gaetz is laying out what happened behind the scenes in the negotiations with McCarthy.

It’s pretty clear that none of these negotiations were done with a “pure” heart.

Everything from McCarthy is/was highly transactional and that’s his point. Bought and paid for.

Gaetz nominated Jim Jordan. Lauren Boebert nominated Kevin Hearn. Clybourn dominated Hakeem Jeffries.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Someone nominate Chip Roy (R, TX).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31364 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

1. I consider gridlock in DC a good thing in general. McCarthy hasn't become the anointed inmate yet, so nobody is really running the asylum.
2. This will be forgotten quickly & has no repercussions later unless the repubs allow it. 1 more talking point makes no difference.
3. It takes focus off 1/6 anniversary circus. Any opportunity for L Boebert to get on TV is OK by me, people will watch her.
4. Why is putting your reasons for voting on display bad in all these politicians eyes? More backroom deals mean more lined pockets at my expense.
5. In the grand scheme of things, they weren't going to do anything this week anyway.
6. Remember before covid when Trump was being mean - ie, not playing politics - & getting shit done? Hopefully some of that rubbed off on these guys.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Looks like McCarthy has a chance this round … Three previous votes for alternatives have now gone for McCarthy, including Byron Donalds’ vote.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Obviously McCarthy needs some of the 20 for this vote but also for the next two years. He can't afford to permanently write them off otherwise nothing will get done or he'll have to make a deal with the Dems on legislation.

Deal with the Dems or deal with the Repubs? The Dems shouldn't be the first option. Deal with the Repubs is much better.

The real answer is how many of the 20 are firm No and no matter how many flip, if there are 5 hardcore members, McCarthy can't win.

McCarthy has to deal and it's kind of odd that some of the things the 20 want are what The Squad demanded from Pelosi.

Posts: 4066 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
1. I consider gridlock in DC a good thing in general. McCarthy hasn't become the anointed inmate yet, so nobody is really running the asylum.
2. This will be forgotten quickly & has no repercussions later unless the repubs allow it. 1 more talking point makes no difference.
3. It takes focus off 1/6 anniversary circus. Any opportunity for L Boebert to get on TV is OK by me, people will watch her.
4. Why is putting your reasons for voting on display bad in all these politicians eyes? More backroom deals mean more lined pockets at my expense.
5. In the grand scheme of things, they weren't going to do anything this week anyway.
6. Remember before covid when Trump was being mean - ie, not playing politics - & getting shit done? Hopefully some of that rubbed off on these guys.

Nothing was going to get done this week is right! And over in the Senate, they swore in the new Senators and then decided to go on a THREE WEEK Recess! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8772 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How bad is McCarthy? CNN and ABC are pushing for him.

Paul Ryan part deux.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
6 “other” votes so far…

Do I hear 13?

I have to say, watching the nomination speeches they all sure love to hear themselves talk.

I admit I haven’t followed the politics in this much but watching the coverage the past couple days has been a real eye-opener and I now have a better understanding of why KM is the wrong choice.

Side note, I am very tired of all the references to our “Democracy”. Don’t these learned gentlemen and gentleladies understand that we are not?

Looks like some of the gang have flipped though. Guess they are starting to sell out…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Looks like McCarthy has a chance this round … Three previous votes for alternatives have now gone for McCarthy, including Byron Donalds’ vote.

Might be some shenanigans going on, talking heads are saying there are some Reps absent today which could lower the number needed.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
How bad is McCarthy? CNN and ABC are pushing for him.

Paul Ryan part deux.

Makes me think the Dems just may throw a couple votes to McCarthy just to get this showboating over. They will never get Jefferies so why not a RINO.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post