SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Offended Snowflakes This Week
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offended Snowflakes This Week Login/Join 
posted
So...

This week I was called into an impromptu meeting at the university that I currently attend because someone apparently complained about the desktop image on my personal laptop of a World War II B-17 bomber. For reference, the picture is of the Collings Foundation's B-17, 'Nine-o-Nine' which crashed a few years ago. Apparently the offense was due to swastikas designating German aircraft shot down by the crew offended someone. I'm obviously not pro-Nazi, don't advocate nazi causes, etc., but am a little upset that America seems to work this way these days. I've never even discussed the picture with other students/professors, etc...
As a side note, they actually did use the expression trigger people in the meeting.

I'm sorry if this is a silly post as a relatively new member, but I wanted to vent...

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Did you tell the professor to send snowflakes to the university's safe space?

Q

Posts: 26419 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working on it! Apparently my options, per them, are to: change the picture, edit the picture, or somehow make sure that the is not visible to others.

But here's the kicker...
Due to the current COVID19 environment, class is currently being conducted from Zoom! So they're attempting to police my desktop photo of my personal laptop in my own home!

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Not silly, I'd be annoyed too.

The administrators giving the snowflakes standing are emboldening the behavior.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Guess I would complain about my text books from classes that teach about Nazis or WWII.

I would leave it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'd tell the to FUCK OFF, Seriously! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
You mean people who were busy dropping tons of high explosive on the Nazis??

Not that I'm overly surprised, but still.

How do they see your desktop over Zoom? When you screen share?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear that your University does not offer History. It can be helpful in understanding such things.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - apparently someone complained after someone saw it when sharing the screen. Per them, the virtual zoom classroom is a 'safe' space. I've drafted an email that I haven't sent yet that violating my First Amendment rights, and hauling me into a meeting over something that I suspect isn't a violation of the student code of conduct, violates my own ability to enjoy the classroom as a safe space.

The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I dont disagree with this is BS.

I do have a tip for zoom and video conferencing screen sharing in general - dont ever share the whole monitor/screen/desktop, or your main browser window. I always create an additional browser window with only the tabs I want people to see and share that, or share the specific program window. Zoom is very flexible with this.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Since this is an 'educational institution' you're talking about, and that B-17 was fighting 'Nazism' on behalf of all civilization, with the markings of successful battles/defeats of the enemy to prove it, maybe it could be used as a learning opportunity. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Replace the picture with this one. The swastikas are pretty much shot up.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The irony of the situation is that I do have a relative who did fly B-17s (pilot) in the "Mighty Eighth," who did graduate from said university who was killed in action in July 1943 fighting off said Nazis.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'd tell the to FUCK OFF, Seriously! Roll Eyes
Yep, in no uncertain terms. Especially given your current environment. Suggest the offended person seek psychiatric counseling for their rather apparent severe mental illness.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tell them the Nazis attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941 and we had to fight back.

They'll believe that.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What makes me angry is you NEVER get to face your accusers.

They are allowed to hit you from behind, then are under protection from there on forward.

Leftists are cowards, you have to learn to play by their non-rules and never let them see you coming.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Refuse. Tell them the person offended is either historically ignorant, deranged, unintelligent or some unfortunate combination of these traits.

Posts: 3152 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SparkyWho:
Apparently my options, per them, are to: change the picture, edit the picture, or somehow make sure that the is not visible to others.

Or else... what?
They can't give you an ultimatum without some threat behind it.
Are they threatening you with expulsion or something?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SparkyWho:

...but am a little upset that America seems to work this way these days...

SF members are a LOT upset over snowflakes who are offended by anything. As others have said, DO NOT GIVE IN, they will ALWAYS demand more.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I would have asked if the offended snowflake was offended at the Nazi swastikas referring to destroyed Nazi aircraft or if they were offended because they are Nazi's who don't like the way the WWII turned out?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post