SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a battery powered push mower? Looking at Ryobi but looking for all opinions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a battery powered push mower? Looking at Ryobi but looking for all opinions Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Time for a new mower.
My 12 year old Honda mower that starts on the first pull no matter what still does but the deck has rusted through in a couple spots and I get lots of blue smoke on start up and runs rough as can be.
So it is time for new. I have a relatively small yard so I would but the cheapest mower I can find with a Honda motor I can find ($250).
I can mow and trim my yard in 45 minutes. I currently have an 18v Ryobi string trimmer and a few drills and impacts and they have been great.
I want to step up to a 40v trimmer and want their electric chainsaw as well.
So the mower has peaked my interest. It is about the same price as a gas mower, folds up and can be hung on the wall (big plus) my current mower resides outside in one of those plastic yard organizer things.
The mower has tons of good reviews on Ryobis site (yes, taken with a grain of salt) but tons of good/great reviews on Home Depot’s website.
But as always figured I would check Sigforum for the best reviews available.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought a GreenWorks 40v two summers ago. We have very little lawn and what we do have is on a slope that is nearly impossible to walk down. It is only and 18" deck - the deck is also plastic so the whole unit is very light. I can stand at the bottom of the slope and easily push it up the hill until I run out of reach and then do the reverse from the top so I don't have to risk life/limb on that slope. It works as expected. We get about 30min run time out of it.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Ryobi and an Ego, happy with both.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Any issues with hosing them off being plastic?
How loud are they, any need for earmuffs?

————————————————

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bought a 24V Balck n Decker about 15 years ago. Still going great (have changed out the battery once, the overload protection capacitor once (step-son couldn't grasp the concept it's not as powerful as a gas mower and thick, wet grass might require a few passes), and the blade.

Home Depot sells them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You'll probably need 2 batteries for a 45 min job. Love mine(greenworks) but the battery dies about 80% of the way through my mow and I have to switch it out, and my yard only takes about 20-25 min to mow.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
We have the Kobalt 80v - it works well for our lawn - not the biggest but not small either. It came with 2 80v batteries, each lasts about 75 minutes.
I was worried about the plastic parts as well, but in 1 year of ownership, no issues. The light weight is nice, much less vibration too. Very quiet - wife said when she's inside, she doesn't even know the lawn is being mowed.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3926 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Any issues with hosing them off being plastic?
How loud are they, any need for earmuffs?

No ear protection needed. My 40v greenworks is super quiet, light, and handy. And it does a far better job of bagging clippings than my previous Toro self-propelled.

A single 4ah battery is enough to get me through edging, weed eating a few specific areas, mowing, and cleaning up with the blower. My grass area is probably 20x35 or so. I love it.

Also have a little chainsaw, I think 14”. It works well, though cuts are a little slower due to less teeth per inch.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I was reading Consumer Reports on this less than an hour ago.
Top rated are the EGO 56-volt machines.
They sell on Amazon for a lot less than at Home Depot; looks like free shipping but may take a couple of weeks.
You pay more for a self-propelled model, of course.
Price on Amazon is <$300 currently for an EGO 21 inch push (not self-propelled) 56-V mower with IIRC 4 aHr battery.

Better owner satisfaction than Ryobi.

We’re looking at one for my daughter’s place, potentially also my sister’s. Hi, Sis!

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Neighbor had a 40 v ryobi she looks funny running that thing ,looks like she is just pushing an out of gas mower.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have had the Ryobi for a few years now, I can do my lawns on one battery, but it's not a large total area. I don't bag, just let it mulch. The mower is very light, and I'd recommend it. I have the hedge trimmer, string trimmer, and chainsaw all for the same battery. Very happy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Had a 40v ryobi before I moved to AZ. It would do about 600 sq/ft of thick grass on one battery. Great mower, definitely would buy again.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
My wife and I bought a Ryobi because we have a small yard. We've had it for 3 years now and it pretty much just works.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I've used one of the 14" Worx mowers for my small lawn for years, works great, almost completely silent, even if it does look like I push around a toddler's toy mower.

Would I use it on a lawn in a high humidity area that grows super thick wet grass? Nope, but here in Colorado, it's perfect.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
You'll probably need 2 batteries for a 45 min job.

That's my experience as well. I have two 5ah batteries along with a 2.5ah battery which came with the trimmer.

We get some pretty thick grass here in Orlando over the summers.

I've had mine for about 2 years, no issues. The extra battery was not cheap around $120 bought online at Home Depot.

I do not bag, I mulch. Batteries take quite a while to charge and they heat up really fast while discharging.

We have a somewhat small yard but the thick grass requires more effort. I'll have to have the blade sharpened soon. It is very quiet being battery powered so I can mow at 7am without worrying about disturbing neighbors. Definitely doesn't have the power of gas powered mowing but I stay on top of it. During the rainy season I might mow every 4-5 days. Can't stand a lawn that looks like crap.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wet grass is not uncommon here which is likely my biggest concern.
May have to stick with gas. I do my best not to get lazy and keep on it pretty well but sometimes life gets in the way.

————————————————

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Another Ryobi fan, would buy again without hesitation.

Mine is going on 6 years old and never had a problem. Kinda wish it would quit so I could buy the higher end model but it has other plans.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10942 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
How apropos. I literally just used my new Kobalt 80V mower, blower and weed whip for the 1st time today. I bought them from Lowes 4 weeks ago and just broke them out.

My 1st impression was they worked good and will suit my needs fine. I have a small lawn that normally takes 1 hour to mow, weed whip and blow. Today I only mowed the front (1st time this year) and the battery on the mower was still full after about 25 minutes. The mower is quiet and will definitely not require ear muffs.

The weed whip works pretty well, but is my least favorite of the 3. It's quite a bit heavier than my previous weed whip (a gas powered one) and just doesn't seem to have as much "oomph" but will work for my needs.

The blower works good, but only lasted a very disappointing 15 minutes on turbo mode (you really need turbo mode to blow anything.)

All in all, I'm happy with them and will keep using them. Total price for all 3 was just over $1,000 at Lowes and I'm waiting on an 11% rebate. After the rebate they will have cost just over $900 total. I also used my Lowes card and got 6 months same as cash; so I'll pay them off over 6 months time.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the Ryobi this year along with the power head with interchangeable ends. That gives a total of two batteries. My yard is usually 45 minutes with my old Scott’s gas mower. The ol’ Briggs motor finally got too much of a pain to fix (20+ years out of it, I’m good).

Not self propelled, but really light, so even with my sloping yard the electric mower is fine. I can mow the grass with about half a charge left in the 5ah battery, plus I have a 4ah battery with the power head. Just the trimmer attachment so far, may dig up an edger for it. My Echo backpack blower, chainsaw and hedge trimmer are all still doing fine, so no replacements for them.

Thick grass seems to eat the charge more, but with the 5ah and 4ah batteries, I’ve been fine so far. If I go through those and I’m still. It done, it’s time to take a break, anyway.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The weed whip works pretty well, but is my least favorite of the 3. It's quite a bit heavier than my previous weed whip (a gas powered one) and just doesn't seem to have as much "oomph" but will work for my needs.

I have never heard them referred to as a weed whip until today. Oddly enough you are the 2nd person calling it that today.

————————————————