SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Go Fund Me Gone wrong.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go Fund Me Gone wrong. Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fraud maybe?

IANAL, but I'm going to guess wire fraud and theft by deception are going to be at the top of the list.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
No charges have been filed though (despite the po-po raiding their home and towing away their car Roll Eyes), which leads me to believe that there really isn't anything to charge them with except maybe hurting someone's feelings.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
So if the guy only got $75K, where did the rest of the money actually go? Confused

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Climb14er:
Go Fund Me is a rip off in the name of charity and do-goodness. They take approx 8%+ from the donations. That's downright criminal! We send donations directly to the non profits we deem worthy. Go Fund Me can go you know what to themselves.

NOT! defending the McClure couple but like most topics there is a lot of hype with this and few facts. I only heard 1 report of the $366K available AFTER the GFM fees. Then there is the approx 75K turned over and squandered. They/we are not looking for 400k, we're looking for 291K. So far the couple does not look good, but IMO neither does Johnny.

If you or I saw someone waste 25K overnight we may set guidelines before giving more, perhaps even for an addicted loved one. It's possible it began because they didn't want to be indirectly responsible for an OD.

Lastly I have an honest question for you all. If the "goal" was originally 10K, have they really lied if they gave that?? Does the page obligate you to turn over everything (which by the way is way beyond what lawyers fees would be for a verdict in a legal battle).

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Kate McClure and her care selling BF are in the shit

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...eran-disappears.html

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
i see prison in their future

----------------------------

What law(s) did they break? (Serious question)

Seems to me they made a handshake deal and backed out of it. Wrong? Yeah. Illegal? I don't know.

Fraud maybe?

that would be my guess - but IANAL - wire fraud, theft by false pretenses:

quoted elsewhere: "Basically, theft by false pretenses is the act of convincing someone to voluntarily give you their property, by telling them something that isn't true or making a promise that won't be kept. Because we normally think of theft as the act of taking away someone's property against their will, it may surprise you to learn that the crime of theft by false pretenses even exists. But the fact is that "false pretenses" is a theft crime just like shoplifting or grand theft auto. If you are charged with this crime, you may face the same kinds of penalties as someone who is charged with one of those more conventional kinds of theft."

will be interesting to see how it plays out

there certainly is precedent for this type of crime

for instance:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/11/...parents-and-friends/

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Homeless man, couple allegedly conspired to deceive GoFundMe funds: report

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hom...ampaign-funds-report

A New Jersey couple and a homeless Philadelphia man who were once the symbol of generosity in hard times allegedly conspired with each other to come up with a false story to earn GoFundMe donations and will now face charges, according to a complaint obtained by NBC 10 Philadelphia.

The original story was this: Johnny Bobbitt, who was homeless, gave his last $20 to Kate McClure, a stranded motorist in Philadelphia in November last year, to help her get gas. To thank him, McClure, 28, and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, 39, created a GoFundMe account to raise funds for Bobbitt. Around 14,000 people donated to the campaign, which brought in more than $400,000 overall.

But investigators said the three deliberately prevented donors from gaining information "that would affect their judgment about solicited contribution to that fundraising effort," according to the station. Now they will face charges including conspiracy and theft by deception, a source familiar with the case told NBC 10.

The couple turned themselves in on Wednesday to Burlington County authorities, the source said. It was unlcear if Bobbitt was with them. The Burlington County Prosecutor’s office is expected to make an announcement in the case on Thursday, The New York Post reported, citing multiple reports.

The story appeared to begin to fall apart after Bobbitt claimed that the couple used the GoFundMe money as "personal piggy bank," and sued the couple in August over the funds.

Bobbitt’s attorney, Jacqueline Promislo, told The New York Post in September that the couple started to spend the money right after depositing it into their bank account. Bobbitt accused the two of mismanaging the donations, which the couple initially denied.

“They went on shopping sprees,” Promislo told the paper. “[Bobbitt] tells me they had a Louis Vuitton bag and Chanel sunglasses, a new iPhone 10.”

But the couple claimed they withheld the money to help Bobbitt. They said once the money came in, Bobbitt began to give some to relatives and spend it on drugs. He ultimately received roughly $75,000 from the GoFundMe, which he used to purchase a camper and SUV — both of which he no longer has, reports said.

D’Amico claimed in August that he controls the funds and that he would dispense the money when Bobbitt gets a job and stops using drugs. Police had raided the couple's New Jersey home in September, confiscating a new BMW, jewelry and cash, NBC 10 reported.

McClure and D'Amico's attorney, Ernest Badway, said in court in Septemeber that about $200,000 had gone to Bobbitt. But Superior Court Judge Paula Dow said Badway indicated he was "misadvised" by his clients and that later the court learned there was no money left.

Fox News emailed Bobbitt's reported lawyers, Chris Fallon and Jacqueline Promislo, early Thursday and did not get an immediate response. Fox News also reached out to Ernest Badway, who has been the couple's attorney, and he said no comment.

Badway said in September that one or both could be indicted, saying his clients plan to invoke the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, NJ.com reported.

In September, GoFundMe, along with the law firm (Cozen O'Connor) representing Bobbitt, had said that the Marine veteran will receive the balance of what he was not given of the hundreds of thousands raised for him, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
A New Jersey couple and a homeless Philadelphia man who were once the symbol of generosity in hard times allegedly conspired with each other to come up with a false story to earn GoFundMe donations and will now face charges

A conspiracy of three falls apart. Not surprising. The NJ couple would have been better off writing a 'management contract' with the homeless man, saying flat-out that they'd be splitting all proceeds evenly.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'll admit, I wasn't graceful when this story came on as I was walking out this morning. I shouted out "I TOLD!! you so!!" a couple times. Wife asked if I wanted a ball to spike too, or if I had it out of my system now...... Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As Para has stated before, “electronic pan-handling”.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
D’Amico claimed in August that he controls the funds and that he would dispense the money when Bobbitt gets a job and stops using drugs.

Cutting off a Bobbitt; it seems like strange deja vu.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I called this back in September!

quote:

posted September 06, 2018 09:49 AM

This thing stinks to high heaven from the very beginning where this "broke" homeless guy just happened to have 20 bucks on him to give to this couple for gas. I am starting to smell scam and these two scumbags just cut the druggie out of the deal.

This is why I will never give one thin dime to Go Fund Me no matter how much of a sob story they give.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect example of what happens when Assholes get greedy. All 3 of these creeps would have gotten away with it if the couple hadn’t tried to screw the homeless guy. 200k each and move on or international shame and a bunch legal trouble. Seems the couple gambled wrong.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
They don’t say “There is no honor among thieves” for nothing.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They not only scammed all those well-meaning people, they scammed GoFundme themselves, if you recall after all the crap back in September with the money, GoFundme pledged to give the "homeless" guy all the money that the scumbag couple had blown.

Jail time for all three of these friggen' losers!

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
It's nice, the poor homeless man will not be homeless any longer. He'll have a nice 8X10 room of his own, with a bunk and a toilet.

Go back and look at the photo of that couple. Their faces alone should be probable cause. You see these two, you lock them up-- ahead of the crime they will inevitably commit. Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
People are stupid.

Gee 'ya think?

Tucson Democrat Mayor was running for reelection a few years ago....unopposed on the ballot. No TV or radio ads needed. No posters on street corners needed. Tucson is heavy Democrat. Hell, Benito Mussolini if he were alive today probably could run on the Dem ticket and get elected.

Tucson Mayor received well over $100,000 in campaign funding.

Yes, people are stupid.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So, I assume the homeless man wasn't really a "vet" either???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greedy (conniving fraudulent) morons. If they’d have just split the $ 50/50 and went their separate ways it would have been a $183k to each after the fee with nobody the wiser.

Now the lawyers are the only ones getting paid. Roll Eyes

I like crowdfunding as a way to fuel entrepreneurs bringing new products to market, the electronic pan handling is pathetic tho.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead. This was guaranteed to fall apart.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post