SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Alcohol Detectors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Alcohol Detectors Login/Join 
posted
Coming soon to a new vehicle near you

https://www.foxbusiness.com/li...lcohol-detectors-law

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't give the first fuck about how many lives this will supposedly save. You're not putting that shit in my car unless I've been convicted of drunk driving, which I won't be, because I don't do it. (Whatever problems I may have had in the past are long behind me.)

As long as it doesn't rust out and I can get parts, I can keep most any car running almost indefinitely. I have a particular set of skills. Razz

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider this idea DOA. Put the devices on commercial vehicles and airliners if need be. The cost is substantial and someone must then monitor them. The Alcohol and Beverage folks will be all over this hairbrained idea.
Coming soon to whose vehicle??

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What about detecting pot usage? I can see a boatload of lawsuits over unequal prosecution, self incrimination in states where weed is not legal, and on and on.

LANSING, MI -- Michigan state police say tests intended to detect THC in blood aren’t working, and haven’t for years. Several thousand criminal cases may be impacted by the revelation.

The agency has halted further blood toxicology testing for THC until a third-party, accredited lab can be hired, or the problem is resolved.

State police have not revealed what they believe caused the problem but say it’s existed since at least March 2019. The issue with faulty THC results was identified on Aug. 19 and prosecutors across the state were notified on Aug. 25.

State police say the testing method that was in use caused cannabidiol, better known as CBD, a non-psychoactive compound in cannabis, to show up in test results as THC, the intoxicating compound in marijuana.

“After further review, we now believe this discrepancy may impact cases that occurred on or after March 28, 2019, where the alleged violation is based on the finding of THC alone and there is insufficient evidence of impairment, intoxication, or recent use of marijuana to otherwise support the charged offense,” state police said in a statement issued Wednesday, Aug. 31.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The training for cops is not up to date. There are some fairly simple roadside tests to determine impairment by THC. Despite plenty of lead time, the science has not caught up. Simple blood tests for cannabinoids do not indicate impairment.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cost is substantial …

As if costs weren't substantial enough already.

This is how I feel about most other "nanny" shit in cars.

I don't even like ABS that much. When I started driving, ABS and traction control were my right foot.

Fortunately, this is (at this time) only a recommendation by the NTSB. To my knowledge they have no regulatory authority.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a cell phone detector? My God, some of the things I've seen recently with people driving cars with their face buried in a cell phone.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I think about all the tickets/revenue my county is missing out on since the decriminalization/legalization of weed in my state. I don't know how many people are driving around under the influence of alcohol, but I do know since they changed the law on weed, I can't drive anywhere without being overcome by it at least one traffic light or more per trip. If the police want to effect DUI's, we don't need fancy equipment, they just need to roll down their frigging car windows.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The NTSB can't do this by itself, but apparently the NHTSB was given authority to do this in the recently passed infrastructure act.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
The cost is substantial …

As if costs weren't substantial enough already.

This is how I feel about most other "nanny" shit in cars.

I don't even like ABS that much. When I started driving, ABS and traction control were my right foot.

Fortunately, this is (at this time) only a recommendation by the NTSB. To my knowledge they have no regulatory authority.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I do not drink, but FUCK this commie government.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Penalizing the many for the actions of a few … kind of like gun control.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Hard pass on the Pelosiometer ..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:
How about a cell phone detector? My God, some of the things I've seen recently with people driving cars with their face buried in a cell phone.

And this has been proven more dangerous than drunk driving. It’s tolerated coast to coast. But instead they are gonna try and do this bullshit. Fucking infuriating.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
NTSB says all vehicles need alcohol detectors and the law will soon require them
National Transportation Safety Board says over 10,000 lives could be saved annual

According to the NTSB, there were 11,654 fatalities occurred in alcohol-impaired crashes in 2020, which represented approximately 30% of all accident-related deaths.

NHTSA is already working on the topic as the infrastructure bill signed into law by President Biden in 2021 included a requirement for all vehicles to be equipped with passive alcohol interlocks, which would make them inoperable if a high blood alcohol level is detected. The law dictates that regulations be developed within three years and gives automakers two years to comply, but allows the Department of Transportation to extend the periods, if technically necessary.

From the article it sounds like it's already a "done deal".

And it will "save over 10,000 lives" out of the 11,654 fatalities occurred in alcohol-impaired crashes.
Roll Eyes

The Nanny State never rests.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the article it sounds like it's already a "done deal"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The article reads like it was written by the manufacturers of the device. I do not see this happening within my lifetime.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Consider this idea DOA. Put the devices on commercial vehicles and airliners if need be. The cost is substantial and someone must then monitor them. The Alcohol and Beverage folks will be all over this hairbrained idea.
Coming soon to whose vehicle??

Agreed. This won't happen anytime soon, by which I mean ten to twenty years, if ever.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
From what I remember about installs years back, they aren't cheap. Those used for a DWI conviction require a breath sample at random times.

Idiotic.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Penalizing the many for the actions of a few … kind of like gun control.

Picked up on that. Watch the general pubic whine about it loudly.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
IMPOSSIBLE to implement as well as unconstitutional and a blatant assault on freedom.
Never gonna happen.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This has already be authorized by Congress, so it is likely to happen. It's supposed to happen within three years, but the NHTSA can extend longer if there are technical issues.

Article: https://apnews.com/article/tec...31a0649c8058c70c97a1

Key paragraph:

quote:

Under last year’s bipartisan infrastructure law, Congress required NHTSA to make automakers install alcohol monitoring systems within three years. The agency can seek an extension. In the past it has been slow to enact such requirements.

The legislation doesn’t specify the technology, only that it must “passively monitor” a driver to determine if they are impaired.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post