SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Alcohol Detectors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Alcohol Detectors Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Anybody remember the 1974-only requirement to have a seat belt interlock? And you couldn't start the car without it? There was a huge backlash against that, resulting in their dropping it after that year.

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
“passively monitor”
Technically, there is nothing "passive" about the technology used to do this, as it's currently being implemented.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Stupid idea. Let's punish law-abiding people because of criminals. How about some real punishments for those that have been arrested for this multiple times?

What's the initial cost of this? What's the maintenance cost? What happens if the system has a problem? Are you stranded?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Stupid idea. Let's punish law-abiding people because of criminals. How about some real punishments for those that have been arrested for this multiple times?

What's the initial cost of this? What's the maintenance cost? What happens if the system has a problem? Are you stranded?

I once got a traffic ticked and had to go to court to get it resolved.

As I was sitting there, they brought a guy up for DUI and driving on a Suspended license (for DUI).

The judge fined him $1,000.00 and gave him another year of suspended license.

Without thinking, I audibly said "that'll teach him."

I then got reamed by the judge for around 5 minutes and got threatened with contempt of court.

That's why there are drunk drivers on the street.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter how stupid it is as long as they can feel good about themselves. Roll Eyes

Maybe they can tack enough shit on that new truck that it'll cost more than a Corvette. Wait, what? Nevermind...

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Anybody remember the 1974-only requirement to have a seat belt interlock? And you couldn't start the car without it?

Yup, Some cars had an override button located under the hood. Starting the car while standing next to the front wheel was a good idea because (?)

Posts: 9111 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear my seat belt pretty much all the time. But from time to time I drive from my townhouse to my storage locker unbelted. Maybe 1/4 of a mile. The incessant dinging and flashing lights drive me nuts. I bought seat belt extenders that fool the system and shut off the nagging. I think I can make it a short distance without a horrific accident. When it comes to alcohol sensors, how exactly does it work? Does it sniff the air in the car? How would it work if you are the designated driver for a group of friends who had been drinking? Would it detect their alcohol? The court ordered systems I saw installed required you to blow into a tube before the car would start. Is that how the system will work? Hard pass on that!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I wear my seat belt pretty much all the time. But from time to time I drive from my townhouse to my storage locker unbelted. Maybe 1/4 of a mile. The incessant dinging and flashing lights drive me nuts. I bought seat belt extenders that fool the system and shut off the nagging.

I hated the seat belt chime on my 2014 Jeep JK. Yes, there are occasions when I don't wear my seat belt, particularly those times when I'm off the beaten path in my Wrangler or frankly when I just don't feel like it. Thankfully I found some elaborate procedure online to disable it. Something like turn the key so many times, press the gas pedal two times, turn the key again, do a hand stand, and then voila the chiming was disabled. It's been that way for at least seven years now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30295 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

I once got a traffic ticked and had to go to court to get it resolved.

As I was sitting there, they brought a guy up for DUI and driving on a Suspended license (for DUI).

The judge fined him $1,000.00 and gave him another year of suspended license.

Without thinking, I audibly said "that'll teach him."

I then got reamed by the judge for around 5 minutes and got threatened with contempt of court.

That's why there are drunk drivers on the street.

As someone who has put in hours and hours of work, been cussed at, spit on, fought with to send people to court for those very offenses, just to see exactly what you are describing happen, over and over again (it's so bad I don't even look up the sentencing for my cases anymore, it pisses me off too much), you sir are my hero Big Grin.

Posts: 8412 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The training for cops is not up to date. There are some fairly simple roadside tests to determine impairment by THC. Despite plenty of lead time, the science has not caught up. Simple blood tests for cannabinoids do not indicate impairment.

That's the problem! There are fairly simple roadside tests to determine impairment by alcohol too, but that's typically used to justify the Breathalyzer or a Blood Test...And THAT is what's used as evidence to support the vast majority of DUI/DWI convictions in court! Until there is a test that uses 'science', relying on an actual sample of Blood, Breath, etc of the accused that can determine with certainty that the individual is impaired AT THAT TIME, the legalization of Marijuana use anywhere in this country is EXTREMELY unwise!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post