SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carvana -- Selling my car to them. Good to go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carvana -- Selling my car to them. Good to go? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Carvana offered me a very good price for my Subaru Crosstrek. Is this a solid approach? Anyone here sold to them? Any concerns or gotchas I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Never personally dealt with them but if you’re good with the offer, do it.

One thing to keep in mind though, the preowned market is insane right now so you might want to check around as you could possibly get more.

To expand a bit, the wife and I bought our 17 year old daughter a used, but newer and nicer than she had, truck on February 18. I put her other truck up for sale for KBB 3rd party value, which seemed high, but that truck didn’t have signs on it for even 24 hours before I had cash in hand. Literally the first person that looked at it, bought it. Had one call the evening before and he wanted it, but it was a 2wd and he wanted 4x4.

You might be able to do a bit better if you park it for a few days and check. If nothing comes through, Carvana will likely still be there.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
recently i checked on what they'd offer for my 2013 mb e350, compared to for sale prices for the same vehicle in my area.

carvana offer was low wholesale.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
There is a car shortage. Used cars have not been entering the market as quickly due to people driving less this past year. New car production has been disrupted.

There is pent up demand from the past year where people have held off on buying vehicles due to uncertainty regarding their commute situation, and now are looking to buy.

If you didn't buy a car right at the beginning of the pandemic when dealers were trying to downsize their inventory and people were liquidating assets to ride out job losses, then now is a really bad time to buy a car by comparison.

But, good news for the OP is that he should be able to get a good price if selling a used vehicle.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd go with CarMax if I knew what my vehicle was selling for on the street. Little to no hassle and cash in the hand. Easy peasy.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'd put the extra effort into selling it myself instead of leaving all that money on the table. But that's just me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Those places offer you 50% to 60% of what you could get selling it yourself.

Of course, you won't have the hassle of test drivers nor can you provide financing (at 18%) to realize that additional 40% - unless you get a cash buyer of course.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Carvana are a nightmare.

I bought my wife's car from them. We started the process in the beginning of February. It took six weeks for it to be delivered,even though we were cash buyers, and a further month for the plates.

When it arrived, it had some stains on the seats as if someone had spilled coffee.Of course, this was not mentioned on the description of the vehicle. After I complained, I was told to have it detailed up to a cost of $100. I did so (which was worthless) and submitted the invoice for reimbursement five weeks ago. I got the check today.

I had to call them over and over again asking them for my check, each time I was waiting on hold for 30+ minutes. Every time I was told someone would look into my question and call me back. Not once did they do so. I bombarded them on social media, which was ignored.

I will never, ever, ever, do business with them again, either buying or selling.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Whatever they offered, you probably can get more in the market, right now most of these online buy used car companies are flipping the good cars to dealers through the large auctions and making serious coin.

Check around at dealers in your area at their web pages for prices on your vehicle, even if you have to go around the state to find them, craigslist etc.

You might find that the market price is higher for person to person. Used market is going to get hotter if the chips for new vehicles don't show up.

Dealers right now are in the shit or get off the pot scenario, they may run out of new inventory to sell in the next 30 to 60 days, or the chips might show up. They don't know if they should load up the lot with top level used cars or wait. The wrong guess could leave them in a big hurt, either way..

My auction friend says they are seeing 90+% conversion rates in the dealer lanes, a big increase in sale pct, whats not selling, nobody wants... basically 100% conversion on used vehicles...

Right now NADA and Kelley mean nothing, prices are moving up rapidly.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I sold my 98 Sonoma to Carvana and it was awesome.

I probably could have got more if I’d sold it through autotrader but I don’t have time to screw with that.

Anyway I got on the website and put in my info, took a couple pics of the car and within a couple hours I got a very fair offer. I set an appointment for the following Saturday and the guy even showed up 15 minutes early. The only funny part was that they told me they had to test drive the car before they took it, but the guy who showed up couldn’t drive stick so he had me drive him around the block, and then needed me to pull it on the flatbed for him.

I pulled it on and he handed me a check. Again I could have probably made a little more selling it myself but this was your painless and for a guy with a busy schedule it was fantastic.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As unbelievable as it sounds
2 weeks ago I sold my 2013 f150 for the same price I paid almost 4 years ago(it did have a brand new $1200 set of tires)

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
No experience with Carvana, but I know two people who have bought and sold from Carmax recently, and they said it worked great. There is a local Carmax lot in town.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
To be clear, the offer is $16,400 while I'd have guessed $12k. Their first offer was over $17k, but I couldn't believe it so I ran it again and described it VERY conservatively because I don't want surprises should I choose to proceed. The mileage is very low 62k miles on a nearly 8 year old car. One owner no wrecks. I'm guessing I'm experiencing the benefits of this bubble.

The down side is I'll not likely get much discount on my new car. The dealer mentioned 4% which is something, but not amazing.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If you have a Carmax nearby, take it there for a second opinion.

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You will always make more money selling private party. There is a massive supply shortage on vehicles due to manufacturers slowing or shutting down during covid and a choke in supply on components. They are giving competitive offers because they can make the same margin with the shortage. If the money lost is worth the time saved, go for it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sold the spousal unit's 2014 Mini Countryman S to them . Best offer around and a smooth deal.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Low mileage car- just keep it unless you have to have something else

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Used car prices are skyrocketing and the supply is low, just like housing.

They are going to flip your car and make a nice profit, but if you are happy with the price they're giving you, then that's great.

You don't have to deal with tire-kickers and game players and low-ballers this way than compared to trying to sell privately.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Ohio when you buy a car the state sales tax is calculated on the difference between the trade value and new purchase price. At least in Ohio this something to consider when you sell instead of trading your old car. In any case always run the numbers.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Be sure to get a quote from VRoom. They beat a Carvana quote by a couple of grand on an Escape a friend is selling.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post