SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV drivers struggle to keep batteries charged amid winter freeze
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV drivers struggle to keep batteries charged amid winter freeze Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Good luck charging that car with "rolling blackouts" Roll Eyes due to "grid overload"Roll Eyes in bad weather.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Cold does reduce battery output, but there is another aspect. Gas-powered vehicles use heat from internal combustion to heat the interior. The only way to heat the interior of an EV run the current through resistance. That takes a lot of juice, and that reduces the range of the EV.

Which is why, as I understand it.
If the battery is that cold to take a charge, then you just plug it in and let shore power run the heater until the system is able to take a charge.
While the HVAC is running you just wait in the warm car for it to charge.
I believe most can be activated by app with a phone.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't they have a feature to activate pre-conditioning while it's parked?
Plug it in and hit the button, let it warm up and then take a charge.
I believe one still has to have juice in the battery to warm itself up before charging. If the battery is dead, you're SOOL.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
i guess everyone forgot that California...having nearly ideal weather is most populated areas..makes ev's look great. Then the snow comes... Big Grin

Home Chargers + Garage + time for charging...sure seem to be awfully affluent criteria for a super golf cart.

Yeah... and I'm sick of the mandates in California becoming the "standard" for the entire automotive industry.

Truly, I have no problem, whatsoever, with anyone who wants an EV. Your choice!
I only have a problem with all of the subsidies which are pushing the rest of us in the direction the environmental wackos (as Rush would say) want us to go.

The Environmentalist Wacko Pick Method Returns for the Super Bowl
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/d...for_the_super_bowl6/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
Lol..and most of those cars are set to charge limit of 80% or so. Guy telling people to charge when they hit 30%...so 50% if your lucky, and if your car doesn't have a warm blanket, you can lose 10-15% overnight.
amazing. i guess everyone forgot that California...having nearly ideal weather is most populated areas..makes ev's look great.Then the snow comes... Big Grin

Home Chargers + Garage + time for charging...sure seem to be awfully affluent criteria for a super golf cart.

When mine is charged to %90 it gets just over 300 miles of range. If you find your self out of "juice" you're a nimrod and have poor planning.

PLUS a home charger is like $500. If you're going to buy a $40K+ car and not invest in the $500. Once again... Nimrod!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold does reduce battery output, but there is another aspect. Gas-powered vehicles use heat from internal combustion to heat the interior. The only way to heat the interior of an EV run the current through resistance. That takes a lot of juice, and that reduces the range of the EV.

For what it's worth most the modern Teslas use a Heat Pump. They are pretty stupid efficient when it comes to heating the car. Tons of youtube videos out there of guys parking their car in snow over night with heat on to see how it effects range.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

quote:
People are just not very bright.
That's because their batteries are low, duh.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

For what it's worth most the modern Teslas use a Heat Pump. They are pretty stupid efficient when it comes to heating the car. Tons of youtube videos out there of guys parking their car in snow over night with heat on to see how it effects range.

I just looked up the Tesla heat pump, and it pretty cool how they do that. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a Tesla as his only car. Only does in town driving, and has a garage charger. No problem except the time he had to go for emergency medical trip one night with only a very little charging done.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not true…
The newer Tesla’s use an in house designed heat pump not resistance heating. It is very efficient and works to below zero.

I understand that EV’s aren’t for everyone and I agree. We have one but we also have 3 other vehicles to use. I don’t think I would have one if it was the only one. If you have a garage and a 240 volt charger it is very easy to use. Those people waiting until their battery gets down to 5% deserve to stand out in the cold…idiots! I mean does anyone wait until they have one gallon of gas left in their tank to fill up in the winter time??

I did drive my F-350 diesel today and it was nice to sit high above the riff raff cruising down the highway! It is much more expensive to operate though…;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If you don’t have a house with charging capabilities you really have no business buying an EV, especially if you live in a cold climate. People are just not very bright.

Yep. 100, no 1000 fucking %. Idiots. Next month will mark 10 years of me using an EV as a donkey in my fleet. I’ve never run into this once. It’s been dead cold where I had to use all the range. A friend would have BBQ’s on Friday nights in the dead cold and he lived far. So while there I would top off at his place with the chintzy OEM supplied L1 charger. On several occasions my range got close (range on mine is 1/3 of what these current EV’s are) and I had very little left when I got home, but not once in 10 years did I get stranded. These idiots purchase or lease these Teslas and such and do so 100% relying on a public supercharger network. Makes me laugh too. You can afford a 50k-100k Tesla, but you can’t afford to put in a $500 L2 charger at home? They are just stupid. Makes sense when you know that 1/2 the planet has an IQ of 100 or less.

Like smlsig, I have one but have gas vehicles too. I only use an EV for a daily driver because I have 35 panels to power the car off the sun. No panels I wouldn’t own it. These decisions were 100% for cost reasons, not the environment as I don’t subscribe to that. Lithium mining equals up a gas car so it’s moot to me. I got no federal incentives or rebates for either my panels or my EV toaster either.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unsurprisingly. Gee it would be wonderful we all drove EVs

“ Power strain: TVA asking customers to conserve energy amid heightened demand”

We appreciate our customers joining us in these steps to reduce the strain on TVA’s grid,” Gabriel J. Bolas, president and CEO of KUB, said in a prepared statement released Tuesday afternoon.

https://www.wbir.com/article/n...b6-a6c0-36fd70d4faa0

Posts: 777 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

Picture of EV Mustang in 3-2-1....
Couldn't help it Razz
You mean like this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
To be fair, the report was about those driving EVs in Chicago. Seems they would have a lot of apartments there. I don't think these problems are to be had in Texas, Arizona, Florida, New Mexico, etc...

Doing so would be like me moving to a place without 93 Octane fuel for the 8.3L V10. Yeah, I know an EV would be faster, but would it be as much fun? I'm still driving it off of the headers as the exhaust system hasn't been built yet. Wink

Chicago? They should be able to charge their EVs between shootings and wouldn't be at the gas station when it is getting robbed.

Even better if they don't have any juice during the attempted carjacking(s) anyway.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I like the EV Mustang picture above Cool

Let’s just say that I’m glad I don’t live in Chicago or anywhere that has weather like that. Also I’m glad I have solar panels on my house and charge in my garage.

This shows that EVs should never be mandated for America.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3496 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can see EVs being a problem for people who already think the E on their fuel gauge stands for Enough.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
When asked for comment as the the flatbed pulled away from the curb, the EV owner remarked, 'I could've had a V8!' Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8952 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
calling them all stupid is a fair way to dismiss the whole thing.
i have an EV at home. not the only car we have by a margin.
but again..ALL EV'S for everyone...seems like these people fell for it hard..

best "Client" for an EV is someone who has a home with a garage or access to one, and a home charger...or things get complicated...which no one selling them wants to point out. lowest common denominator being where it is...yeah people in this video..didn't figure that out on their own.

ill add that it doesn't help that most of these "charging" stations seem to be 80% broken? watching user experience videos about EV's it is surprising how many of these public charging areas are falling apart after a few years. makes you wonder why the "mobile charging" business is getting traction. in gas/diesel powered pickups though Smile

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
When asked for comment as the the flatbed pulled away from the curb, the EV owner remarked, 'I could've had a V8!' Razz

Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post