SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV drivers struggle to keep batteries charged amid winter freeze
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV drivers struggle to keep batteries charged amid winter freeze Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Sooo EV drivers struggle to keep batteries charged amid winter freeze.

So EV batteries and chargers have a hard time in cold weather. Who would've thunk that. Eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-w46UDdpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAtqWOaEgg

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 53229 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Makes me smile, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t have a house with charging capabilities you really have no business buying an EV, especially if you live in a cold climate. People are just not very bright.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
People are just not very bright.

That's because their batteries are low, duh.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Roll Eyes Big Grin Roll Eyes Big Grin

This is called REALITY in the REAL world, no Unicorns Farting Rainbows here.

Meanwhile, I'll head out this morning in my 6.6L Turbo Diesel and spread some love.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thermal runaway in 3-2-1……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s extremely predictable and I recall several here commenting on this exact point months ago. EV’s are an unrealistic pipe dream for the average person, especially now when affording one is harder than ever.

Can’t charge efficiently? Burst into toxic smoke bombs? Takes hours to become usable after power drain?

No thanks.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15623 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
If you don’t have a house with charging capabilities you really have no business buying an EV, especially if you live in a cold climate. People are just not very bright.

Really this. OR you're to big of an idiot to not find somewhere to top it off when you're down to 50 miles of range or so left.

Batter pre-conditions on the way to a super charger. It's basically just being a pure idiot one way or another.

(EV owner here...)

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Picture of EV Mustang in 3-2-1....
Couldn't help it Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The bad news for EVs, and in particular Tesla as the standard bearer, just continues to pile up. Seems the media is beginning to do their job and I have a sense that reports like we have seen recently have legs and will impact the industry. Reality can be a very harsh mistress.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol..and most of those cars are set to charge limit of 80% or so. Guy telling people to charge when they hit 30%...so 50% if your lucky, and if your car doesn't have a warm blanket, you can lose 10-15% overnight.
amazing. i guess everyone forgot that California...having nearly ideal weather is most populated areas..makes ev's look great.Then the snow comes... Big Grin

Home Chargers + Garage + time for charging...sure seem to be awfully affluent criteria for a super golf cart.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really this. OR you're to big of an idiot to not find somewhere to top it off when you're down to 50 miles of range or so left.

Batter pre-conditions on the way to a super charger. It's basically just being a pure idiot one way or another.

(EV owner here...)

Don't they have a feature to activate pre-conditioning while it's parked?
Plug it in and hit the button, let it warm up and then take a charge.

Or does it not work that way?

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
stay home and get door dash for a month or two

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

Couldn't help it Razz

My thought exactly! Roll Eyes

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Makes me smile, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Smile? You are a nicer man than I. I laughed out loud!

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:

(EV owner here...)

Don't they have a feature to activate pre-conditioning while it's parked?
Plug it in and hit the button, let it warm up and then take a charge.

Or does it not work that way?

Diclaimer, we own a Tesla, and I think it's a barely above-average car, not a GREAT car like my glorious steriod injected ICE BMW.

To answer your question, Yes they can and do precondition the batteries, these stranded people are fucking idiots. Tesla's very clear on the effects of efficiency from cold weather.

Motherfuckers can't READ, it's not the car's fault.

You can charge these cars off of a normal 110 15A outlet. We do, and it's not a problem keeping the car full, you just gotta remember to plug it in, just like you have to put gas in your glorious ICE vehicle. If you let it drain to 10% and then get surprised it wont go after your jaunt to the piggly wiggly in sub-zero conditions, you are just another idiot with plenty of company.

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

Couldn't help it Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Cold does reduce battery output, but there is another aspect. Gas-powered vehicles use heat from internal combustion to heat the interior. The only way to heat the interior of an EV run the current through resistance. That takes a lot of juice, and that reduces the range of the EV.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Cue the well deserved Simpson's HA HA pointing gif!!!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post